Sorry Tip Question ? What is the best leather tip today non laminated

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

I know I have asked more than my share today of questions but have one I was hoping that some of you pro’s could answer. I have tried a bunch of tips , from Le Pro , Triangle, to a bunch of Laminated tips such as Kamui , Ultra skin and Tiger. I really like the Ultra skins pretty good and the Tiger Everest I am playing now seems ok. But I really liked Triangle back in the day and the few I tried last year seemed pretty inconsistent. They played good for about a week then fell off to a rock hard didn’t seem to want to take chalk and miscues. I see the fondness for Laminated tips but was is the best leather tip going today or Am I missing something. Thanks

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They played good for about a week then fell off to a rock hard didn’t seem to want to take chalk and miscues.

That sounds more like you've been playing with dirty equipment. If you chalk less than you should, the crud stuck to the balls gets hammered into the leather on the tip and forms a glaze. Once it's glazed it won't hold chalk well. When this happens just sand the outside skin off the tip and start over, chalking more frequently, especially the first while after reconditioning.

To answer your question, Triangle, Lepro, Elkmaster are all about the same. When you buy them bounce them off the counter and listen for a sharp sound as they hit, don't bother using any that sound like marshmallows.

Edit: For what it's worth I use elkmaster to make my pressed milk dud tips. They are all I use.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

I know I have asked more than my share today of questions but have one I was hoping that some of you pro’s could answer. I have tried a bunch of tips , from Le Pro , Triangle, to a bunch of Laminated tips such as Kamui , Ultra skin and Tiger. I really like the Ultra skins pretty good and the Tiger Everest I am playing now seems ok. But I really liked Triangle back in the day and the few I tried last year seemed pretty inconsistent. They played good for about a week then fell off to a rock hard didn’t seem to want to take chalk and miscues. I see the fondness for Laminated tips but was is the best leather tip going today or Am I missing something. Thanks
Try a Thoroughbred med/hard. Fantastic tip. 10bux direct from the maker. https://www.thoroughbredtips.com/

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
.......Ford!
5aaa1cb841280-funny-weird-wtf-stock-photos-1-5a39121d2fd9b__700.jpg

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can get layered tips today for a couple bucks each. Why even bother with solid ones? Where you have to try your best voodoo to pick ones that don’t turn into a sponge during install. I did cue repair for a few years at tournaments, but stopped 10 years ago. If I were to ever pick it back up, I wouldn’t even offer a solid tip. The extra time they take ends up costing more than a layered tip price. Especially now with the ultraskins on the market for pretty cheap.

IMO:)

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yea , I see the point on solid tips. I do like Ultra skins pretty good, But what I got was the black soft and the fire medium. I would like to try just a regular medium and have been wanting to try the SIB Blue tips . I hear they are good

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All the solid ones are horribly inconsistent. For decades. Stick with layered. IMO.

Yep.

The good old days aren’t necessarily all that good compared to the options available these days!

I grew up with elk master, triangle, and LePro. You couldn’t give me any of them to replace a good layered tip these days…

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's up with flaming food?

Nevermind, I think it's a cheap excuse for flavor. Typical marketing. :grin-square:

Los Gatos Taki

Registered
I have used various single layer and multilayer tips, Some were good and some were not.
I am currently using the Techno Dud tip from Outsville. I am extremely happy with how it plays. Holds chalk well, no miscues, and plays various shots very consistently. I have a great deal of confidence when playing with it.
Outsville also puts out a Ki-Tech tip that is suppose to be very good.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1 - Milkduds by member pooldawg8, (Jeff)
2 - Triangle
3 - Le Pro, make sure you get from dealer with new stock
4 - Elkmaster
And while your fooling with Tweeten products, order a dozen Triangle blue chalk for $2.95 for 12.
It's as good as any and the yellow label lets YOUR piece stick out so it's easy to find!

Los Gatos Taki

Registered
i have to agree that milk dud tips by pooldawg8 are extremely good. I like to try new types of tips out, but always keep his tips on hand and on my extra shafts to go back to.