What gives with stroke techniques

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've read and been instructed a thousand times the stroke is the same for all shots. No wristy action, No stiff wrist, No upstroke or swipe.... None of this adds up to a hill of beans. Well why is it making a difference to me? Is it all in my head and just getting lucky or only remembering the successes and not the failures.

Here's a couple of shots where I use a stiff wrist. Shot "A" is also a Jab. The short angle shot is normal except a tight grip. Sorry I can't get
the 3C table to come up. I hit the wei button no luck. So here's a link.

http://CueTable.com/C/?@04AHXa3BENH...UaEL4UYfB4XJfw2XRsv2XbrD1XPAq1Xbrd1XRLd1XRLd@

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Well I why is it making a difference to me? ...
The simple explanation is that when someone uses one of the "special" stroke techniques, it causes them to hit the ball in a different place or with a different speed than what their experience tells them to do with a "normal" stroke for the shot. A different spot on the ball they could accomplish with a "standard" stroke by simply addressing the ball at that different place. The different speed they could accomplish with a standard stroke by simply making their arm move faster or slower.

There are only a few different quantities that completely describe what the cue ball is doing after it leaves the tip. A standard stroke allows control of all of those quantities.

On the other hand, if Bob has a tendency to hit a shot too hard for it to work well, and Old Jake on the rail tells him that he should put more weight on his back foot for the shot, and that gets Bob to hit the shot more softly, then where's the harm?

Mitchxout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On the other hand, if Bob has a tendency to hit a shot too hard for it to work well, and Old Jake on the rail tells him that he should put more weight on his back foot for the shot, and that gets Bob to hit the shot more softly, then where's the harm?

The old saying, "pretty is as pretty does" applies to alot of pool players. Also, "if it works, don't fix it."

I've also seen alot of players whose form looked as good as the pros but they couldn't make a ball.

Also, it's by far easier to teach beginners correct fundamentals than undo old ingrained habits.

C.Milian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The simple explanation is that when someone uses one of the "special" stroke techniques, it causes them to hit the ball in a different place or with a different speed than what their experience tells them to do with a "normal" stroke for the shot. A different spot on the ball they could accomplish with a "standard" stroke by simply addressing the ball at that different place. The different speed they could accomplish with a standard stroke by simply making their arm move faster or slower.

There are only a few different quantities that completely describe what the cue ball is doing after it leaves the tip. A standard stroke allows control of all of those quantities.

Didn't know you were a mechanic.