Does taking ibuprofen affect performance?

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
To the OP....doesnt sound like Advil's the culprit, maybe you didnt manage your energy well? In between matches maybe eat a piece of fruit with a handful of nuts?

on a similar line I have a friend in Miami who was suffering from about a similar thing. He would play great and then hit a brick wall and play just horrible. He also had issues away from the pool table where he was feeling lethargic and just plain bad for no reason. Turns out he went to the doc and was diagnosed with diabetes. Management of blood sugar for him was much more difficult than for the avg person. If you suffer from a dramatic swing in your energy level, you might want to go to mention it to your doctor just to make sure its nothing like my buddy.

luke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I take Celebrex. It is a great pain reliever but does cause some stomach bleeding. It's a choice between hurting or not so much.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Sometimes it seems that a pain can be the focus in a match that keeps you from getting distracted by other, less annoying, things.

When that sharp focus is suddenly gone, you start thinking about a bunch of other stuff instead, and that creates the fuzziness of play you experienced.

Not saying that's what happened to you, but it could be.

Jeff Livingston

Runnintable

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aleve

To the Op,

Little confusion on your original post did you take Aleve or Ibuprofen?

Either way, you took something to help you with the symptoms.

I would take a step back and try and figure out what caused the symptoms in the first place.

What did you eat? Possibly dehydrated?

There is an old expression: "Gotta get your MIX Right!"

and your MIX effects everything from your mood to your focus, stamina, etc....

Now what is your Mix?

Look at the nutrition of your diet, exercise routine (if any), pharmaceuticals, dietary supplements, and list goes on.

Pretty much everything your body either Inhales, ingests, or absorbs.

The Mix is also greatly personal to your Body Chemistry. Note: earlier post mentioned allergies, something to think about.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For those not aware, lifestyle choices (nutrition, sleep, movement, stress management) can greatly affect your headaches, body aches, mental clarity, etc. Inflammation in your body is a cornerstone of these three issues, along with many, many, many more issues. Eating grains is one of the biggest causes of inflammation.

<====== Health nut out. Carry on.

Kel_82

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Things that negatively affect performance the most.

1. Alcohol (excess)
2. Mental Negativity (thinking about things that you think will negatively affect your performance)
3. Going too long without eating.
4. Second Guessing yourself
5. Insufficient Sleep

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To the Op,

Little confusion on your original post did you take Aleve or Ibuprofen?

Either way, you took something to help you with the symptoms.

I would take a step back and try and figure out what caused the symptoms in the first place.

What did you eat? Possibly dehydrated?

There is an old expression: "Gotta get your MIX Right!"

and your MIX effects everything from your mood to your focus, stamina, etc....

Now what is your Mix?

Look at the nutrition of your diet, exercise routine (if any), pharmaceuticals, dietary supplements, and list goes on.

Pretty much everything your body either Inhales, ingests, or absorbs.

The Mix is also greatly personal to your Body Chemistry. Note: earlier post mentioned allergies, something to think about.

I took Aleve. Since it is an NSAID I referred to it as ibuprofen, but stand corrected as many have pointed out in this thread.

I try to prepare well for every tournament. Get good sleep the night before, eat a decent breakfast the morning of, and continue eating light food throughout the day. I drink plenty of water during matches, as well as coffee (I know, not the best, and I drink it daily).

During the week I train with heavy weights 3-4 days. Only supps I take are protein, multi-vitamins and creatine. No drugs,only drink socially.

One thing I'm dealing with is a neck injury incurred from training about 6 weeks ago. I was exercising and felt what was like a pinched nerve in the back of my neck, which caused shooting pain up into the base of my skull. My neck stiffened to where I couldn't turn my head from side to side, and had to cease sleeping with a pillow at night. Two trips to the chiro straightened me out and now I'm nearly 100% again.

After playing for a couple of hours these days I sometimes feel some fatigue in my neck. I've also suffered temporary stress headaches early in tournaments before (from battling through tough matches) and that has also side-tracked me in the past. I took the pill last week during the tourn in an attempt to mediate these issues (which it ultimately did), but it seemed to have the effect of dulling my body completely to where I lost cognizance of my mechanics, and focus. In the future, I'm going to eschew popping them and try to soldier on and see if I can deal with any minor pain.

Thanks again for everyone's advice and suggestions. You've been most helpful.

Last edited: