Who plays with Mezz shafts?

Plagueis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What do you have to say about Mezz shafts? Love them? Hate them? Which one? Do you use the stock tips with them?

Mrdodd72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a milk dud on my mezz alpha shaft. Love it. Solid feeling LD shaft; there is no spliced wood used in the construction. An added plus is that I can jump full pole with it, since jump cue are not allowed where I play. Mezz is a good product.

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play with the WX700 shaft with a Wavy joint. It's the best cue I have played with so far. Nice solid feel, accurate and very smooth shaft. I play with Kamui Black S, medium works well with it too IMO.
Overall they are good cues and shafts, cant go much wrong with one. Pretty expensive though, but worth it in my opinion atleast :smile:
You should see if you can try differebt shafts somewhere, the feel differs a lot between lets say Predator (wich I like alot too) and Mezz shafts. Matter of personal preference, as is everything in pool :eek:

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
This thread has been up for less than 24 hours. Have you tried the search feature for previous reviews on Mezz?

I've tried Predator 314 before, and wasn't impressed. I've been using a Mezz WD700 on a Bludworth for almost a year, and so far I'm satisfied. The Mezz is staying, and the Predator Sneaky Pete is forsale.

Not many responses, I should have said predator

Michael Fedak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I switched to Mezz WX900 low deflection shafts (from Pred Z2's) last year .... love them.
Same low deflection spectrum, but with a more solid hit. Even my level of game benefited.

Unfortunately, they come from Mezz only with a brown Kamui medium tip.
Had to change them immediately to Kamui super soft clear blacks and they were fine ... with great spin that feels effortless.

asamimasa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've used nearly all of the low deflection shafts, but spent more time with Predator and Mezz than any other. The Predator stuff has great tech going into it, but feel does leave a little to be desired when you compare it to Mezz shafts. Between comparable shafts (314-2 vs WD700, Z2 vs WX900), they're really within spec of each other to the point that it wouldn't take long to adjust between one to the other in terms of performance specifications such as deflection.

Some will say one deflects less than the other, but I don't believe that this mild difference should be the deciding factor. If you want the least deflection possible and greater control, go for the thin tip, conical taper shaft. If you want a slightly more forgiving shaft with an extended taper, go for the ~12.5mm shafts.

One thing that should be noted is that I've found the Mezz shafts to be a bit stiffer than the comparable Predator shafts. This is an attribute I personally prefer, and is part of why my case is filled with the stuff.

dgem

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hybrid pro 2 at 12.8 is the nuts. Have to custom order it though. I put a zan grip hard tip on it and it plays really good. The deflection is quite low and very forgiving shaft. Stun shots are very easy to do. This is the main difference i noticed between 314-2 and mezz shafts. Hard stun shots are easier with mezz shafts as they are stiffer.

I Got Lucky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been playing with a Mezz EC7-WKK with a WX-700 shaft for almost 2 months now. I absolutely love the way it feels and hits. Everyone I have let try it loves it also. Thanks Darwin!!!!!

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've played with more than one mezz shafts, I gota say theyre the best shafts I've ever played with. Ive tried so far, Mezz wd-700, then Mezz alpha, and now I'm playing with Mezz hybrid Pro II.

I would love to get a hand on the newest EX PRO mezz for my 3/8x10 but too sad they havent yet to release that pin for this specific shaft which I'm dying to try.

Now let me tell you, ive tried nomurous shafts prior to trying mezz, but for me I think the mezz products are so good, and I personally think that the hybrid Pro II is for me at least the best shaft out there, I love it.

Oh and about the tips, I personally use either lepro's or sniper tips with them, I think sniper goes very well with these shafts but I also been in love with lepro for the longest time i just love the sound and feel of a good lepro.

Last edited:

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have all the Mezz shafts and I have made a separate Mezz shaft thread in the review section of the forum.
I use Mezz WX900 on my Exceed cue and I use a Zan Premuim Soft tip with a acrylic pad between the shaft and ferrule.
On my break cue I use Mezz Deep Impact Pro R with a Taom tip.
Mezz shafts plays great, some people, used to mushy shafts like Predator and the old soft feeling OB shaft might think that Mezz shafts feel too stiff,but I would argue it's the shafts they are used to that has the "wrong" feel and Mezz shafts is how a proper one piece maple LD shaft should feel.

Houstoer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play with a Mezz and agree. So far best shaft I have tried and I have tried all the LD's from the big makers and custom ones as well. You have to like a stiff hit because the mezz hit is stiff but I love it.

sprben83

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ive been using mezz shafts since '04-'05. started with the wd700 and now i have been using the wx900 for the last 7-8 months. everyone is going to have reservations about a certain companies ld shaft, and im sure some have their reservations about mezz's ld shafts, but for me, mezz ld shafts are the nuts. theres a reason why i havent looked at or really wanted to try other brands for the last 10-11 years.

So many people selling their predator shafts & cues and wanting to buy Mezz.

Yeah, you need to sell a few to afford a mezz. Mezz had better be bloody good to justify their cost. I've only played a few shots with one but colour me underwhelmed. When one can move the ball as easily as my pred, I'm all ears.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I posted here before about mezz, been using hybird pro II for years and I love it, but for real I would die to get a hand on one of the new Mezz EX Pro, I personally feel that its the nuts, i really want one, but cant find one for my 3/8x10, i even posted in the wanted forums, so if any1 here got a spare EX Pro, pls send me pm :D :D

Tahoedirt

Tahoedirt
I switched to Mezz WX900 low deflection shafts (from Pred Z2's) last year .... love them.
Same low deflection spectrum, but with a more solid hit. Even my level of game benefited.

Unfortunately, they come from Mezz only with a brown Kamui medium tip.
Had to change them immediately to Kamui super soft clear blacks and they were fine ... with great spin that feels effortless.
Can you please tell me about your Kamui super soft tip ? Thx D

Tahoedirt

Tahoedirt
I have all the Mezz shafts and I have made a separate Mezz shaft thread in the review section of the forum.
I use Mezz WX900 on my Exceed cue and I use a Zan Premuim Soft tip with a acrylic pad between the shaft and ferrule.
On my break cue I use Mezz Deep Impact Pro R with a Taom tip.
Mezz shafts plays great, some people, used to mushy shafts like Predator and the old soft feeling OB shaft might think that Mezz shafts feel too stiff,but I would argue it's the shafts they are used to that has the "wrong" feel and Mezz shafts is how a proper one piece maple LD shaft should feel.
I have an old Mezz with a plain shaft (cue looks like a Tad Merry Widow, which I also own). What if anything can you say about these old plain Mezz shafts ? Thx D