Replies please=)

cdavis9771

Yes this dog will bite;)
Silver Member
Just wondering if thier is any top pro's betting out of thier own pocket these days?
I always hear about the backer. It just seems that if was that good then why would i need a backer? Unless thier nerves can't take it:confused:

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cdavis9771 said:
Just wondering if thier is any top pro's betting out of thier own pocket these days?
I always hear about the backer. It just seems that if was that good then why would i need a backer? Unless thier nerves can't take it:confused:

Most backer-deals are zero-risk and 50% of all profits. I mean, if you need a backer, you're playing for fairly high stakes and if you're playing for high stakes, you're likely up against competent players. Why would you want to assume 100% risk when someone out there would be willing to take care of that for you?

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
How-To Bet "Out Of Your Own Pocket":

Step#1: Have Money In Your Pocket To Bet.
Step#2: Ah forget it.

cdavis9771

Yes this dog will bite;)
Silver Member
Jude Rosenstock said:
Most backer-deals are zero-risk and 50% of all profits. I mean, if you need a backer, you're playing for fairly high stakes and if you're playing for high stakes, you're likely up against competent players. Why would you want to assume 100% risk when someone out there would be willing to take care of that for you?

Well if say you were efren. I mean this guy can beat anybody in the world, most of the time. Would you take all of the action yourself then?

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
Jude Rosenstock said:
Why would you want to assume 100% risk when someone out there would be willing to take care of that for you?

JR,
The simple answer (as given to me by a famous roadie who usually only bet his own) is you assume 100% of the risk for 100% of the profit.

It is the same reason that these highly skilled players will often play short sets for significant cash. The money turns over faster, and they have a chance to win more money than they would in a long, "ahead set" (even though the less skillful player now has a chance at victory).

Our local champ almost always plays on his own dime for just this reason (and we see $3,000 to $10,000 sets several times a year).

Another point is that such players HATE for you to try to get sidebets on their matches. They want every dime that the opponent and his backer are willing to put up. Your sidebet is reducing the potential score for the player. FWIW.

Last edited:

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cdavis9771 said:
Well if say you were efren. I mean this guy can beat anybody in the world, most of the time. Would you take all of the action yourself then?

What's my bankroll like? What's the action? Who am I playing? Am I giving weight?

These are factors that come up every time you make a game. You can't call 1-800-BACK-MY-CUE and order a backer every time the equation suggests you may come-up short. You need that relationship already present.

I don't care who you are, the relationship is always great for the shooter and bad for the backer.

bigskyjake

you heard the man
Silver Member
You don't bet out of your own pocket do you willie?
wouldn't the jelly beans get all sticky if they were in your pocket:D

tanco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott Lee said:
Shane Van Boening, for one...he bet a GIANT sack of jellybeans at the DCC, and covered his own action.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Lol, where did you get this info? Shane had at least 4 people backing him in Louisville. I was one of them.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
tanco said:
Lol, where did you get this info? Shane had at least 4 people backing him in Louisville. I was one of them.

Yup. I was up a few times myself. I did hear about a set at the end of the tournament that Shane took the whole load. Don't know if I would call it a "giant sack" but a respectable amount of loot none the less. Tough action that one of his guys didnt like, so Shane fired his own dough.

He won.

Tanco... check your PM's.

Last edited:

Roadie

Banned
cdavis9771 said:

It could be that one of the reasons Efren can beat everyone in the world is that he never has to fade the bet. Woudn't you be under a lot less pressure if you had an unlimited supply of backers and gamemakers and all you had to do is play?

I don't think Efren has had to bet his own money since he was 10 :)

There are pros that bet their own money. There are several "teams" that run the road and bet from their stack. These guys usually have some backers on speed dial if they need more ammunition.

I was once playing a well known player for 500 a game. At six games up they paid me off in twenties so I figured that I would bust them soon. They made a phone call and ten minutes later a guy shows up with a stack of hundreds. I couldn't fade that action and couldn't take it down. We broke even. I got sharked by the possibility that I could win ten thousand or more. Damn champions and their stakehorses!

cdavis9771

Yes this dog will bite;)
Silver Member
Jude Rosenstock said:
What's my bankroll like? What's the action? Who am I playing? Am I giving weight?

These are factors that come up every time you make a game. You can't call 1-800-BACK-MY-CUE and order a backer every time the equation suggests you may come-up short. You need that relationship already present.

I don't care who you are, the relationship is always great for the shooter and bad for the backer.

I am talking about efren reyes. He has plenty of cash and does it matter who is wanting to play? I mean the guy can give weight to anyone.
Also if you were efren then YES you got a backer anywhere in the world you want to gamble.
In the case of the backer getting the raw end of the deal, well in efrens case i think the backer is getting alot of easy money=)

cdavis9771

Yes this dog will bite;)
Silver Member
Roadie said:
It could be that one of the reasons Efren can beat everyone in the world is that he never has to fade the bet. Woudn't you be under a lot less pressure if you had an unlimited supply of backers and gamemakers and all you had to do is play?

That is what i am wondering. Would efren be as good if he had to bet his own cash?
I mean the highs and lows of gambling can take alot out of you. But if you didn't have to worry about money then who is to say whom is the best player you have ever seen? You think just maybe thier is someone,given the bankroll efren has had behind him, could give efren all the game he wants? Just wondering what you guys/gals think?

gopi-1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There were a lot of tournaments that Effie won that is top heavy. Playing
money game for 20 bigs is nothing compared to the hundreds of thousands
of dollars Effie won were finishing 2nd is not an option.

Alex Pagulayan bets his own, 10 to 20 Gs a set is his norm.

hemicudas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Williebetmore said:
JR,
The simple answer (as given to me by a famous roadie who usually only bet his own) is you assume 100% of the risk for 100% of the profit.

It is the same reason that these highly skilled players will often play short sets for significant cash. The money turns over faster, and they have a chance to win more money than they would in a long, "ahead set" (even though the less skillful player now has a chance at victory).

Our local champ almost always plays on his own dime for just this reason (and we see $3,000 to $10,000 sets several times a year).

Another point is that such players HATE for you to try to get sidebets on their matches. They want every dime that the opponent and his backer are willing to put up. Your sidebet is reducing the potential score for the player. FWIW.

And then there's the other side, Willie.
Quote, Handsome Danny Jones: "Didn't sleep a wink last night. Had this nightmare that I was in a huge pay-ball game and I was having to play on my own money."

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
hemicudas said:
And then there's the other side, Willie.
Quote, Handsome Danny Jones: "Didn't sleep a wink last night. Had this nightmare that I was in a huge pay-ball game and I was having to play on my own money."

Hemi-,
I think most players fear it; a few relish it. I personally can't even imagine putting that much cash up - seems risky to me.