Sufficient Camcorders For Video Quality

mnorwood

Moon
Silver Member
Do you really need to buy an eight thousand dollar camera to create a quality feed? At what point does the capability of the streaming site and/or your internet connection become the choke point for video quality?

Thanks,
Marcus

Matt90

Trust the Process
Silver Member
most

most good quality webcams would do if you only want to live stream.Unless
you want to record and make dvds .The quality of the internet connection
has alot to do with how the quality of the stream will turn out.Of course if
you put trash in you get trash out.Also alot of recording can be done on a
good computer with a large hard drive.

Matt90

Trust the Process
Silver Member
those are great

thats what I use but be aware that they are not webcam ready
the USB cables are for the video transfer only .You have to run
the video through a card or a converter and if you are running
vista (64 bit) you will have alot of problems and upgrades to get
the software that comes with the cam to work right.
in all they are great (I have 4 ) and produce a great looking
end result .Just be ready to fight with vista for a while if you
get one ,and you will be HD ready when that day comes

srs314

shooterville.com
Matt90 said:
thats what I use but be aware that they are not webcam ready
the USB cables are for the video transfer only .You have to run
the video through a card or a converter and if you are running
vista (64 bit) you will have alot of problems and upgrades to get
the software that comes with the cam to work right.
in all they are great (I have 4 ) and produce a great looking
end result .Just be ready to fight with vista for a while if you
get one ,and you will be HD ready when that day comes
Would you get different equipment now that you know that?

Matt90

Trust the Process
Silver Member
no

they are great ......just wanted to let you know about
the transfer issue with vista (64 bit) .Sony has a patch
that will fix it .I just had no one tell me ,and had to do
alot of digging to find out what was going on.If you are
using a good computer with a composite in video card
you are in good shape .Plus in SD mode each cam will
record up to 22hours on the hd .I think for nicer stuff
its better to take the High Def back up and then take it
down from there .......but thats another book :D

CueSportTV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We use either an old Sony PD-150 or a Sony Z1

These produce very good results and the Z1 is used on a lot of traditional TV shoots.

The equipment is a must for good results, however something we also do is take a 4 redhead lighting kit to the majority of our events.

Lighting is what lets live streaming down on the whole at the moment.

Bandwidth is an issue but we produce our results in the UK with nothing more than a 148kbps upload speed.

The best result we have had can be found here:

http://player26.narrowstep.tv/nsp.aspx?player=cuesport&void=257870

Matt90

Trust the Process
Silver Member
ok?

You have got a great quality video but be clear ,you filmed it
and re encoded it .It would take a 1.5 Mbps upload speed or
better to produce a "live" stream of that kind of quality.
Cuesport should put a how to thread up about how to take
pre recorded video and put it online with the best results ,it
looks great man.Wish we could all stream live at that kind of
quality .....maybe one day soon. I did read where you tube is
going to start giving you a HD option so that may be a option
for some of us with good quality video that we need to get
on the net .

Bamacues

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I worked in this field for 35 years. It has changed a lot over that time, and much more can be done now than in the past. Digital video and computer based editing make things easier than it used to be, but QUALITY video production is not easy or cheap.

Here is a good site with some good info for streaming video.

http://www.streamingmedia.com/article.asp?id=9420

If you are simply going to be streaming video, it is much simpler than shooting video for broadcast, and people on the internet will generally accept poorer quality product, but that is not what you should try to provide. If you plan to provide decent video content, then you will need decent quality equipment. Lighting is one of the most important aspects of quality, but you will need mixers, codecs, editing software, synch generators (if you are planning to switch between camera on the fly), and much, much more.

If you want fairly simple video production capability, do a google for wedding videography production suites, etc. Wedding videographers typically use production equipment that is on the lower side of the spectrum. It usually provides pretty good product without breaking the bank.

Basically:
Buy a camera that has professional outputs. This way, all of your peripherals, such as microphones, will be compatible when you upgrade later. You will only have to buy the equipment once and it will save you money over time.

Get a good, basic light kit. Lighting is paramount when it comes to shooting good video and you cannot always control outdoor or indoor light conditions. Having lights you can add will improve the quality of your videos whether you're an amateur videographer or have been in the field for years.

Buy the best tripod you can get for the least amount of money. Tripods with fluid heads have lubricating fluid in their mounts, allowing much smoother camera movement than with non-fluid heads. If you go with a non-fluid head, chances are you will want to replace it as soon as you can afford better.

Upgrade your computer. To edit digital videos on your computer, you need to have enough storage space to hold large files and enough memory so the computer can handle the tasks you are asking it to do. Without it, the software can slow down your computer and increase the time it takes you to edit.

Choose your method of video capture. Firewire cards and cables are used to transfer video from digital camcorders to computers. If you have an analog camera, you'll need a converter device to convert the analog tape footage into a digital file so you can work with it on your computer and store it for the future.

Get editing software such as Adobe Premiere Pro, the standard professional software used for video editing. It has every special effect and feature you could ever want, but chances are you won't use them all. A lower-end package will save you money and have practical features you'll need to create professional videos.

Reactions: sde