Magic Chalk

skip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I received my magic chalk used it the best period. I'm 70 and been playing for 50 years I used Masters an pre-flag also Blue Diamond. Also won a cube of the $25.00 chalk an gave it away to a good friend knowing that if I liked it I could not afford to replace it. An honest review though I would share. :)

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I understand you just called Magic Chalk the best. Period. The best in 50 years of play which included pre-flag Master.

Thanks for a review, one of the shortest I've ever seen :thumbup:

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
The Truth

correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I understand you just called Magic Chalk the best. Period. The best in 50 years of play which included pre-flag Master.

The truth takes few words for the honest.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I received my magic chalk used it the best period. I'm 70 and been playing for 50 years I used Masters an pre-flag also Blue Diamond. Also won a cube of the $25.00 chalk an gave it away to a good friend knowing that if I liked it I could not afford to replace it. An honest review though I would share. :)

Thanks for the review Skip. I too, tend to think you are saying Magic Chalk is the BEST chalk you have ever used in 50 years of playing, but I don't want to put words in your mouth.

Maybe you can edit your post and be a bit more specific about the chalk. Also, what city are you from, I know people more by address than name when so much chalk is being mailed out.....

Thanks, RJ

skip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the review Skip. I too, tend to think you are saying Magic Chalk is the BEST chalk you have ever used in 50 years of playing, but I don't want to put words in your mouth.

Maybe you can edit your post and be a bit more specific about the chalk. Also, what city are you from, I know people more by address than name when so much chalk is being mailed out.....

Thanks, RJ

Magic chalk stays on my tip longer than any I have used. I spend more time shooting than chalking. I have a fair stroke an noticed no miss cues for two days an super control of the cue ball. Also less residue on my 860 cloth. Only bad thing is I have 4 full boxes of Blue Diamond Chalk I will never use.:)

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Magic chalk stays on my tip longer than any I have used. I spend more time shooting than chalking. I have a fair stroke an noticed no miss cues for two days an super control of the cue ball. Also less residue on my 860 cloth. Only bad thing is I have 4 full boxes of Blue Diamond Chalk I will never use.:)

Ok, thanks for the info. Glad you loved it. Sorry about the Blue Diamond though, just chalk it up to lesson learned, pun intended :thumbup:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

I'm selling chalk to distributor in Germany. Maybe it's not so hard to mail stuff from Berlin to Moscow ?? If you want his name, let me know, thanks, RJ

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I cant wait to get mine.

I cant wait to get mine. I believe in having good equipment that works the way its supposed to and I'm hearing good things.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I have been using it for about 2 months now, I like it.

Thanks for the feedback. I've yet to have someone NOT love this chalk. But I can only say so much, it's folks that use it that really counts, and nothing but great responses. I'm glad everyone likes it so much, cause I know it's the only chalk I use. Plus, Dr. Dave's results did not exactly hurt sales ;)

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I think that if anyone has experience with the quality of Blue Diamond, will also like Magic.

BD seems to me very fine. The first night that I used a piece, I was creating mini chalk clouds with the dust. I learned that I needn't chalk up so hard on the tip as usual.

Magic, is fine but not quite as fine as BD, in my opinion. But every bit there in quality.

Players talk about chalking up every shot. You can take several shots with Magic. yet, if yer in the habit of chalking every shot, I do it rather subconsciously while looking at the table layout.

I just give it a quick swipe and not have to look at the tip because I know there is enuff on there regardless. Just a formality, but you don't have to overly concern yourself with it.

Ty-Tanic

Ty-Tanic Makes U Panic
Silver Member
Thanks for the feedback. I've yet to have someone NOT love this chalk. But I can only say so much, it's folks that use it that really counts, and nothing but great responses. I'm glad everyone likes it so much, cause I know it's the only chalk I use. Plus, Dr. Dave's results did not exactly hurt sales ;)

I received one of your free pieces of Magic Chalk and to be honest at first I was not too impressed. The chalk was just so hard I could hardly get it to stick to the tip of my cue. After sticking with it for a few days it started to ware in a little and now it is all I use. I still have a piece of kamui chalk that I haven't used in a while. I would love to try Outsville Great White chalk but last time I checked they were out of stock. I still love how easy my kamui chalk goes on but it just sticks to the cue ball like crazy. If there was a perfect middle ground between kamui chalk and magic chalk that would be all everyone used.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I received one of your free pieces of Magic Chalk and to be honest at first I was not too impressed. The chalk was just so hard I could hardly get it to stick to the tip of my cue. After sticking with it for a few days it started to ware in a little and now it is all I use. I still have a piece of kamui chalk that I haven't used in a while. I would love to try Outsville Great White chalk but last time I checked they were out of stock. I still love how easy my kamui chalk goes on but it just sticks to the cue ball like crazy. If there was a perfect middle ground between kamui chalk and magic chalk that would be all everyone used.

I knew I would find someone that didn't LOVE it, and only LIKED it, but it was bound to happen sooner than later. Though, I've never had anyone mention it being "hard" to apply. It applies the same as Blue Diamond or any other hard chalk, except Kamui.

But, the real test is how well does it stay on, and without marking everything up. That is where Magic Chalk beats everyone else, hands down. And at a fraction of the cost of Kamui :thumbup:

but thanks for the review, play well !!

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I think that if anyone has experience with the quality of Blue Diamond, will also like Magic.

BD seems to me very fine. The first night that I used a piece, I was creating mini chalk clouds with the dust. I learned that I needn't chalk up so hard on the tip as usual.

Magic, is fine but not quite as fine as BD, in my opinion. But every bit there in quality.

Players talk about chalking up every shot. You can take several shots with Magic. yet, if yer in the habit of chalking every shot, I do it rather subconsciously while looking at the table layout.

I just give it a quick swipe and not have to look at the tip because I know there is enuff on there regardless. Just a formality, but you don't have to overly concern yourself with it.

Appreciate the kind words Hog, but BD is NOT in the same quality camp as Magic Chalk. Heck, BD only did slightly better than Masters in Dr. Dave's test. Though, BD is good chalk, just not great chalk. Nothing wrong with that, but the price point is very close for them to be so far apart in quality imho. See ya, RJ

Ty-Tanic

Ty-Tanic Makes U Panic
Silver Member
I knew I would find someone that didn't LOVE it, and only LIKED it, but it was bound to happen sooner than later. Though, I've never had anyone mention it being "hard" to apply. It applies the same as Blue Diamond or any other hard chalk, except Kamui.

But, the real test is how well does it stay on, and without marking everything up. That is where Magic Chalk beats everyone else, hands down. And at a fraction of the cost of Kamui :thumbup:

but thanks for the review, play well !!

It definitely has out performed any other chalk I have used and that is why I am using it exclusively for the time being. It does stay on the tip forever and doesn't make to much of a mess when applying it. Thank you again for the free piece of chalk. I will definitely order more when needed.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just Wondering

Maybe there's too much being made of the entire chalk issue.....you play what you like.....or can cost justify....or maybe use house chalk........after all is said and done, what kind of chalk did Messrs. Mosconi, Greenleaf, Lassiter, et al play with?

Let's just forget the issue of frequency of having to apply chalk because as BHR posted, lots of us just do this as a pre-shot routine. It's like waggling a driver club in our hands at the tee box before we swing......there's no burden to doing this and if you forget to chalk, then face the hard facts.....you have a poor pre-shot routine. The sole purpose of applying chalk is to what? To create momentary friction between the cue tip and smooth cue ball surface to control the direction and also spin of the cue ball.

So I wonder how many more balls Mr. Mosconi would have pocketed that day when he dropped in 526 balls.....over 600? Or how about many more championships would Mr. Greenleaf have won if he also didn't have to use that inferior chalk back at that time?

I think too much attention is being given to the issue of chalk and probably not enough honest, intelligent discussion about cue tip construction, hardness, brands, and most popular and why? And I suppose someone like myself might pop up and observe, I wonder what type of tip Willie played with........and the answer would be......I dunno.......probably whatever George Balabushka put on his cues......I'd be curious to know the brand and hardness but that's an entirely different thread.

Back to chalk, 3 years ago I bought a carton of Blue Diamond chalk......I just checked the count.....counting the free boxes I gave to friends over the years, I still have 12 boxes remaining......Hey, Skip, send me a price for the 4 boxes of BD chalk you'll never use since switching to MC and I'll take them off your hands.....BD probably isn't as good as MC but it's probably better than what Willie played with and so it's just fine for my game........Just Wondering.

Matt B.

Last edited:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Maybe there's too much being made of the entire chalk issue.....you play what you like.....or can cost justify....or maybe use house chalk........after all is said and done, what kind of chalk did Messrs. Mosconi, Greenleaf, Lassiter, et al play with?

Let's just forget the issue of frequency of having to apply chalk because as BHR posted, lots of us just do this as a pre-shot routine. It's like waggling a driver club in our hands at the tee box before we swing......there's no burden to doing this and if you forget to chalk, then face the hard facts.....you have a poor pre-shot routine. The sole purpose of applying chalk is to what....create momentary friction of the cue tip and smooth cue ball surface.

So I wonder how many more balls Mr. Mosconi would have pocketed that day when he dropped in 526 balls.....over 600? Or how about many more championships would Mr. Greenleaf have won if those two didn't have to use that inferior chalk back at that time?

Honestly, I think we pay too much attention to the issue of chalk and probably not enough honest, intelligent discussion about cue tip construction, hardness, brands, and most popular and why? And I suppose someone like myself might pop up and observe, I wonder what type of tip Willie played with........and the answer would be......I dunno.......probably whatever George Balabushka put on his cues......I'd be curious to know the brand and hardness but that's an entirely different thread.

Back to chalk, 3 years ago I bought a carton of Blue Diamond chalk......I just checked the count.....counting the free boxes I gave to friends over the years, I still have 12 boxes remaining......Hey, Skip, send me a price for the 4 boxes of BD chalk you'll never use since switching to MC and I'll take them off your hands.....BD probably isn't as good as MC but it's probably better than what Willie played with and so it's just fine for my game........Just Wondering.

Matt B.

Not really. Folks want the best equipment. Did Lou Gehrig drop balls because he did not have a Wilson A2000 glove? I bet he wish he had one versus what he played with... but he still made the HOF anyways.

Folks spend thousands of dollars on custom cues, and that's cool. Cue makers gotta eat too ;) And it's a fun hobby to collect them. I get that. I use to do that too.

But, why not play with the best product? I mean, I'm guessing you don't have cheap tips on any of your custom cues? Can folks play with Masters and still play well? Of course. Will any chalk make you play better? Hopefully. But, it's a nice comfort playing with a product that is rated the best because it is the best, when you are shooting at the money ball ;)

So, for me, I don't like to chalk after every shot. I like to practice more because I spend more time shooting than chalking. In the past it was 50/50. I don't like chalking after each shot in a game either, as I like to stay focused on the table.

But, some folks still like chalking after each shot, and that's cool too. But for as much money as we put into our pool games, I'd prefer to have chalk that is NOT a little better, but a LOT better. Especially when your digging deep on a power draw shot to finish out a game....the last thing that is on my mind is a miscue :thumbup:

And of course, folks should play with makes them the most comfortable. My son likes selling the chalk and likes the business end of working this, so it's cool for him. But he also likes knowing how well the product works, and that his old man actually uses it, ALWAYS :grin-square:

Last edited:

imissedthe9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Curious how Cosmo chalk would hold up. It's very similar to magic chalk but better IMO, I know in a previous interview they asked efren what his favorite chalk was and he said Cosmo. However it is no longer in production, There are still some pieces around but usually are pricey.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I Understand The Desire To Use The Best

I can relate to the desire to use the best.....and for some folks the cost is really insignificant given how long their chalk should last.

But when I mull it over, it just seems to me using the most expensive chalk, or the best chalk if you prefer, suggests that by using this great chalk either your game improves or the nuisance of having to chalk more frequently is reduced.

If it's not either of the aforementioned, the only other reasons that come to mind are you get the stuff for free or else you're more of an elitist or snob type. And so for me the task of chalking isn't an issue and I don't buy into any posts alleging that they shoot more pool because they have to chalk less. This isn't speed pool and it takes what......5 seconds to swipe your cue tip if you carry the chalk in a leather pouch on your belt or waistline.......shoot more pool, phooey on that notion. I'll admit it allows you to shoot faster because you move, set & shoot but that can be a big drawback.

Shot selection and execution benefit from chalking for the vast majority of players because it a pause moment in between shots.......their shooting cadence isn't any quick but at the end of the night, everyone pockets the same number of pool balls unless the shooter is an ignoramus when it comes to knowing how to chalk his cue tip. Let me see their chalk after a few hours of play and I'll tell you immediately if the person knows how to apply chalk to their cue tip......well, that assumes it's not MC where you only have to chalk once a day or something like that......just a kibbitz.

I acknowledge that my opinion may not sit well with some but ask a 20, 50 or a 100 really good pool instructors if the need to chalk a cue tip is a hindrance, distraction or an aid to better pool shooting? I betcha you the latter will be their answer in >85% of the replies.

If it looks like I'm attacking MC, then I've poorly composed my posts because I'm not....you like it, then use it......wanna spend $5-6-7k for a pool cue, go ahead......it's not going to make you a better player but you'll try harder mentally and so as a derivative outcome, that should help to improve your game. But I don't think the same applies to a $25 cube of chalk in any way even remotely similar or analogous to owning and playing with a $5-6-7k pool cue.

I return to my orig. post.......if the best pool players of yesteryear didn't have the availability of MC or anything like that.....just ordinary chalk......and their feats, accomplishments and records of these great players remain unmatched even by today's players, then speaking purely as personal opinion, chalk is not relatively important to great pool shooting unless you do not chalk often enough or just improperly apply the chalk to your cue tip.

Matt B.

Last edited:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I can relate to the desire to use the best.....and for some folks the cost is really insignificant given how long their chalk should last.

But when I mull it over, it just seems to me using the most expensive chalk, or the best chalk if you prefer, suggests that by using this great chalk either your game improves or the nuisance of having to chalk more frequently is reduced.

If it's not either of the aforementioned, the only other reasons that come to mind are you get the stuff for free or else you're more of an elitist or snob type. And so for me the task of chalking isn't an issue and I don't buy into any posts alleging that they shoot more pool because they have to chalk less. This isn't speed pool and it takes what......5 seconds to swipe your cue tip if you carry the chalk in a leather pouch on your belt or waistline.......shoot more pool, phooey on that notion. I'll admit it allows you to shoot faster because you move, set & shoot but that can be a big drawback.

Shot selection and execution benefit from chalking for the vast majority of players because it a pause moment in between shots.......their shooting cadence isn't any quick but at the end of the night, everyone pockets the same number of pool balls unless the shooter is an ignoramus when it comes to knowing how to chalk his cue tip. Let me see their chalk after a few hours of play and I'll tell you immediately if the person knows how to apply chalk to their cue tip......well, that assumes it's not MC where you only have to chalk once a day or something like that......just a kibbitz.

I acknowledge that my opinion may not sit well with some but ask a 20, 50 or a 100 really good pool instructors if the need to chalk a cue tip is a hindrance, distraction or an aid to better pool shooting? I betcha you the latter will be their answer in >85% of the replies.

If it looks like I'm attacking MC, then I've poorly composed my posts because I'm not....you like it, then use it......wanna spend $5-6-7k for a pool cue, go ahead......it's not going to make you a better player but you'll try harder mentally and so as a derivative outcome, that should help to improve your game. But I don't think the same applies to a $25 cube of chalk in any way even remotely similar or analogous to owning and playing with a $5-6-7k pool cue.

I return to my orig. post.......if the best pool players of yesteryear didn't have the availability of MC or anything like that.....just ordinary chalk......and their feats, accomplishments and records of these great players remain unmatched even by today's players, then speaking purely as personal opinion, chalk is not relatively important to great pool shooting unless you do not chalk often enough or just improperly apply the chalk to your cue tip.

Matt B.

Well, I can't really answer you. Since Magic Chalk is NOT the most expensive, it's only $4 per cube, not $30 like Kamui. So, folks can play with the best chalk that is in the same range as some other brands that are not as good.

And yes, I do play more pool. If I practice for an 90 minutes (which is about my limit for one session) and only have to chalk every 3 racks, yes, make practice more fun and also I do get more practice in then chalking after every shot.

So, to answer your own question, why kind of tips do you put on your custom cues? LePro's ? Just curious. I'm betting they are not cheap, but like most folks, prefer a better performing tip... well, why not better performing chalk, as tested and documented by Dr. Dave? Seem silly to spend $30 for a tip and then use cheap chalk?

Makes sense to me. But if folks like their Master Chalk, or BD or Kaumui, then it's all good, as long as folks are playing pool :thumbup:

If folks didn't always try and build a better mousetrap, we would be home writing letters to each other, instead of being on the internet :)