Evaluation of Speed?

Adam Brown

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I realize that as a player you want to classify your "speed". What is it A-D? I was just wondering how would you rate a player when he has been running 4 out of 10 racks on a Valley bar box for 10 years and then put him on a 9 foot Diamond and he can't run 4 balls to save his life. I realize it takes some time to adjust to different equipment, but what would be enough time to rate his skills?

Thanks,
Adam

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
give him a B

I realize that as a player you want to classify your "speed". What is it A-D? I was just wondering how would you rate a player when he has been running 4 out of 10 racks on a Valley bar box for 10 years and then put him on a 9 foot Diamond and he can't run 4 balls to save his life. I realize it takes some time to adjust to different equipment, but what would be enough time to rate his skills?

Thanks,
Adam

I'd give him a "B" gambling against him until and unless he has proven otherwise for fairly decent cheese. He'll fight the rails for awhile but when he settles down he will gain some speed in a hurry. Having his money on the light is likely to have a remarkable influence on his play.

Hu

liakos

Banned
I'd give him a "B" gambling against him until and unless he has proven otherwise for fairly decent cheese. He'll fight the rails for awhile but when he settles down he will gain some speed in a hurry. Having his money on the light is likely to have a remarkable influence on his play.

Hu

What he said!

backplaying

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depends on your age. If you have played valley bar boxes all your life with very little play on a diamond 9 footer, you might not ever play close to the speed you played on the 7 footer. Also, if you ran 40% on a bar box without ball in hand, you would have been a top 10 or better, bar box player.

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
You don't have to worry about playing on a 9 foot diamond. There isn't one in a 130 mile radius of your house. Stick to the valley and be happy you run out 40% of the time.

BTW, how is your bankroll doing down in the Lonestar state? Giving up the last 3 and the breaks can't be good on it.

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry, but I do have a hard time believing someone can run 4 out of 10 racks on a 7 footer and then cannot run 4 balls in row on a 9 footer. I know the table size is a factor but is it really that big of a factor? In order to run 4 racks on a 7 footer you need to posses some form of cue ball control. Not every shot on a 9 footer will be 9 feet if you have any kind of cue ball control. If that's really the case and someone is just banging in balls on a 7 ft table then they might not be any higher than a C, maybe even a D, player. Anyone else agree here?

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry, but I do have a hard time believing someone can run 4 out of 10 racks on a 7 footer and then cannot run 4 balls in row on a 9 footer. I know the table size is a factor but is it really that big of a factor? In order to run 4 racks on a 7 footer you need to posses some form of cue ball control. Not every shot on a 9 footer will be 9 feet if you have any kind of cue ball control. If that's really the case and someone is just banging in balls on a 7 ft table then they might not be any higher than a C, maybe even a D, player. Anyone else agree here?

Yup, I would say total BS that someone could run four out of 10 racks on a 7 footer, but couldn't run four balls In a row on a nine footer. Their simply isn't that much difference in just making balls. Either the story is fishy, or the player is trying to hustle someone. Anyone that can run 40 percent of their racks on any table can play at a high level. While their run out percentage may drop dramatically on a 9 foot diamond, they will still be able to play at a strong level.

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
The OP would be lucky to run 1 out of 10 racks on a Bar Box. He might be talking about someone else. He is a little gullible.

I also think he's talking about a 6 foot BB.

Charlie Hustle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The OP would be lucky to run 1 out of 10 racks on a Bar Box. He might be talking about someone else. He is a little gullible.

I also think he's talking about a 6 foot BB.

What part of the Lone Star State is he currently in? I like to shoot a little pool

Adam Brown

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The numbers are some that I just threw out there. I would be lucky to run 1 out of 100 racks. I could shoot for 8 hours and have 1 break and run. I was just wondering how much time y'all thought it would take to adjust from a bar box to a 9 foot and still be considered the same speed player. Days, weeks, months, year?

Allen you know how I play. The first time I shot on a 9 foot Diamond it was hard to run over 4 balls the first 2 hours I played. Bottom line is I just like to play and enjoy the game.

Thanks,
Adam

Charlie Hustle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The numbers are some that I just threw out there. I would be lucky to run 1 out of 100 racks. I could shoot for 8 hours and have 1 break and run. I was just wondering how much time y'all thought it would take to adjust from a bar box to a 9 foot and still be considered the same speed player. Days, weeks, months, year?

Allen you know how I play. The first time I shot on a 9 foot Diamond it was hard to run over 4 balls the first 2 hours I played. Bottom line is I just like to play and enjoy the game.

Thanks,
Adam

Again, where are you playing in Texas?

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
Alrighty, contact me if you make your way thru Houston.

Charlie, don't let this man fool you. He's giving the last three and the breaks up to the first five takers....on a bar box. He can't play on a big table like he has already said. He does run out 40% of the time and he plays jam up safes. You will get to use your jump cue a lot or be sitting for a while.:cool:

If he only runs 3 or 4 balls and misses he's only setting a trap. Be careful. And no one can say that I didn't warn them. He tries throwing on people and I'm tired of seeing people work hard for their money and just give it to him when they fall for his trap. BTW, I'm not knocking his action at all. I'll give him all he wants.

Last edited: