Snooker with a 10-second shot clock

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Most pro snooker is played in waistcoat and tie. Here is a once-a-year shootout with 128 players, a 15- or 10-second shot clock, and a match time limit of 10 minutes. There is some amount of audience involvement.:smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp90TiNm7so

The winner gets about $60,000 for about an hour of play total.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The lags were impressive...Ronnie had to almost freeze to win that one.

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought the lags were dismal. Clearly not as well played as how the same players can “leave the white tight on the baulk cushion” after glancing thinly off a long red.

Like the blue ball shoot out for a tie breaker, the ball in hand penalty, and the need to hit a cushion after (or before) certain shots- i feel this new format has them confused.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I thought the lags were dismal. Clearly not as well played as how the same players can “leave the white tight on the baulk cushion” after glancing thinly off a long red.

Like the blue ball shoot out for a tie breaker, the ball in hand penalty, and the need to hit a cushion after (or before) certain shots- i feel this new format has them confused.
The biggest confusion seems to be about when to attack with all guns blazing and when to retreat to the weeds. There were several situation in which the trailing player should have just gotten all the reds moving.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

The first lag I saw in the first round was as good as the 3-cushion champions,
The lags in the finals were as bad as I as I expected snooker players to lag...
...they traditionally flip.

And as Bob said, their moves were a bit unenlightened when they were behind...
...not much gambling experience.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The first lag I saw in the first round was as good as the 3-cushion champions,
The lags in the finals were as bad as I as I expected snooker players to lag...
...they traditionally flip.

And as Bob said, their moves were a bit unenlightened when they were behind...
...not much gambling experience.

Well , after the expected high scoring champions were eliminated early , perhaps those still playing reasoned erring on the safe side is indeed the best bet.

Bob I expected to see Kevin West vs Chris Melling lags at dcc. Thanks for your link it was much better.:wink:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
When players don't know the rules

The champion's first-round match was given to him because his opponent did not know the rules. At "regular" snooker no cushion contact is required on a safe. For the shootout, a cushion must be contacted before or after ball contact.

Here is that match: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_00mKC9ugc

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Bob I expected to see Kevin West vs Chris Melling lags at dcc. Thanks for your link it was much better.:wink:
West and Melling only left the cue balls a diamond or two out (if I found the right video). In the link I posted, neither player got past the side (middle) pocket.