"Hydraulic"...??

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why does Jeremy Jones always call a force-follow a "hydraulic"? Where does that term come from? The action of the cueball on these shots has nothing to do with hydraulics. Some old-school term that has just hung on?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Why does Jeremy Jones always call a force-follow a "hydraulic"? Where does that term come from? The action of the cueball on these shots has nothing to do with hydraulics. Some old-school term that has just hung on?

I never heard this one before. Force-follow is what we always called these shots.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Hydraulic is "fluid power". Don't know if that's what Jeremy means, but I like it...

pj
chgo

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It's just a way to describe the action/curve when you force follow and is probably a phrase he originated and uses.

I've always said, when I put too much juice on the ball, that I've "over amped" it.

Lou Figueroa

megatron69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to sometimes hear this term from older players about 30-35 years ago, IIRC. I understood it to mean a high-performance force follow; you know when the cue hits the object ball, hesitates and then accelerates forward a moment later. Kind of the exact opposite of a draw shot, where the cue hits the OB, seems to stop and then rips back.

Unfortunately I can't remember the reason why they called it a hydraulic, or even if I was ever told the reason. Haven't heard the term in decades though.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only other place I have heard this used in pool, is Bob Meucci and his "hydraulic ferrules".

Someone should ask Jeremy if you need the hydraulic ferrule to make the hydraulic shot, or if something with more moving parts would be advised.

Call it my need to know, I dont want to get into some fooked up Rube Goldberg cue setup just to run whitey down table.

:thumbup:

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I don’t know if JJ always use it.
The term was brought up when George asked him about it in the Filler match
I think they are focusing too much on analysis that they are overanalysing. Probably too much technical analysis that they are analysing every shot even if it is straightforward shot.
If it was Matchroom broadcast, their mainstream audience like non players, casual viewers will have no idea what they are talking about most of time. :smile:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's just a way to describe the action/curve when you force follow and is probably a phrase he originated and uses.

I've always said, when I put too much juice on the ball, that I've "over amped" it.

Lou Figueroa

You and Diliberto like that description. :wink:

kitsap

Registered
I don’t know if JJ always use it.
The term was brought up when George asked him about it in the Filler match
I think they are focusing too much on analysis that they are over analysing. Probably too much technical analysis that they are analysing every shot even if it is straightforward shot.
If it was Matchroom broadcast, their mainstream audience like non players, casual viewers will have no idea what they are talking about most of time. :smile:

The context of the discussion was about the reaction of the cue ball coming off of the rail after contacting the object ball when force follow English was applied.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Jeremy has used that term in many events in the past. George Teyechea asked Jeremy to explain what he meant by it today, and he did. Then he said it's a term he has heard from others in the past, and he didn't know what else to call it.

[Jeremy also calls pool table cloth "felt.":eek:]