Another loss for Team USA!

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Team USA played their heart out and I thank them for fighting against a stacked deck every year.

It took two players from Germany, one from Scotland, one from the Netherlands and one from Spain to beat them down, but they did beat them down. Soquet and Alcaide are class acts. Shaw got a bit caught up in the Filler kids antics which is a shame as they were borderline childish. But, I understand it.

That Filler kid is a beast like Shaw and I would love to see a long winner breaks 10 Ball match between the 2 of them and then against Shane. Shane is the only American that could knock heads with them in a long race.

As long as Team Europe can globe trot and cherry pick from Europe's hottest players every year I doubt the results will change much. I appreciate and like watching those Euro guys play and man are they ever good.

But, to think this is a fair tournament for America is baloney.

Dennis Hatch you were cracking me up and thanks for your great playing!

I hope some day some thing can replace the out dated and unfair Mosconi Cup.

But, until it does, I congratulate team Europe on their win as every one knew the rules and what they were getting into.

If I was the Captain for Team USA I would have them all practicing on 10' Diamonds and lagging for hours on a 9' table and forbid them to ever look at a bar box.

vladmin

Break'em dry !
Silver Member
Team USA played their heart out and I thank them for fighting against a stacked deck every year.

It took two players from Germany, one from Scotland, one from the Netherlands and one from Spain to beat them down, but they did beat them down. Soquet and Alcaide are class acts. Shaw got a bit caught up in the Filler kids antics which is a shame as they were borderline childish. But, I understand it.

That Filler kid is a beast like Shaw and I would love to see a long winner breaks 10 Ball match between the 2 of them and then against Shane. Shane is the only American that could knock heads with them in a long race.

As long as Team Europe can globe trot and cherry pick from Europe's hottest players every year I doubt the results will change much. I appreciate and like watching those Euro guys play and man are they ever good.

But, to think this is a fair tournament for America is baloney.

Dennis Hatch you were cracking me up and thanks for your great playing!

I hope some day some thing can replace the out dated and unfair Mosconi Cup.

But, until it does, I congratulate team Europe on their win as every one knew the rules and what they were getting into.

If I was the Captain for Team USA I would have them all practicing on 10' Diamonds and lagging for hours on a 9' table and forbid them to ever look at a bar box.

USA played their hearts out ? Where ? The poker tables in the lobby ?

Did we not witness Skylar shooting just as good as a grade 4 APA player ?

Did we not witness Shane missing again and again some incredible shots just as he does year after year at MC ? Where's that Shane we used to see in those incredible TAR races to 100 vs Alex and Earl ?

Did we not see Oscar "The Rapist" Domingues complaining after every bad shot about the roll, the table, the lights, etc ?

Let me put it to you in this perspective. Population of US = 323M. Population of Western Europe = 394M

So ya, cherry picking from a somewhat similar sample. Not sure the ratio of pool players maybe someone can chime in.

US lacks in the "respect" and mentality department. Earl and Archer were feared because they were ruthless on the table. I recall MC in 2009 when Archer came back against Appleton from 5-1 down to win 6-5. I can tell you as I was watching from the crowd, Johnny owned the table and the crowd with his presence. Who do you have today that can do that ? Woodward ? Hatch ? Come on

All those guys were playing their best irrespective if it was MC, pool hall or in their basement.

Filler is Europe's Earl. Antics antics antics. Its part of the game. Pool is not snooker with the same etiquette and spirit. Whereas in snooker you have people competing in dress pants, dress shoes and vest at ANY tournaments, Derby City and US Open are played in shorts and flip flops (exaggerating of course but to emphasize the point)

Oh ya. US won the first 10 out of 12 MCs. Wasnt a problem then when US had the likes of Nick, Rempe, Archer and Earl in their prime, Varner, etc etc etc ? Im sure it wasnt. It was fair !!!

So maybe hope that next year some players with a real hunger to win make it on the US team that wont get phased by the european inferno.

Cheers

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ive brought this up in years past, especially when people talk about the USA competing against 'several other countries'.

europe-us-overlay-map.jpg

The next argument is usually about population, but that falls flat as well. While Europe has a higher population to choose from, the only number that makes a difference is the number of world class players residing there.

The Philippines population is about a third of the USAs population, and have produced more world class players than the USA the last couple of decades at least.

Currently on the "World top 10" list, USA has one guy. Shane. The Philippines have 3. Europe has 2, 1 Canuck, and the remaining 3 are from China.

We havent been losing for any other reason than we dont have that level of firepower. ;)

parvus1202

Suspected hacked account
Silver Member
I think USA is just too arrogant to know that their style of play is old fashioned. When the days when all tournament were all American, they thought that they are the best. But when Asians starting to come in and beating every single Americans, they were just too shocked. So instead of upgrading their play they stay to what they learn from they old. Europe upgraded, Asians keep on upgrading. Europe compete with Asians, even stay months in Asia just to learn and gamble. I saw Filler's game his spin and ball placement is too identical to Filipino players. If he is a bit tanned I will say he is a Filipino.

LeonD123

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let me put it to you in this perspective. Population of US = 323M. Population of Western Europe = 394M

Numbers doesn't mean anything.

Switzerland has 7millions people and yet we won 23 tennis grand slam last 20 years while USA won nothing.

Kimmo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ive brought this up in years past, especially when people talk about the USA competing against 'several other countries'.

The next argument is usually about population, but that falls flat as well. While Europe has a higher population to choose from, the only number that makes a difference is the number of world class players residing there.

The Philippines population is about a third of the USAs population, and have produced more world class players than the USA the last couple of decades at least.

Currently on the "World top 10" list, USA has one guy. Shane. The Philippines have 3. Europe has 2, 1 Canuck, and the remaining 3 are from China.

We havent been losing for any other reason than we dont have that level of firepower. ;)
OI!!!! Your map of Europe is missing the best part! Where is Finland!! :eek::grin-square:

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I think USA is just too arrogant to know that their style of play is old fashioned. When the days when all tournament were all American, they thought that they are the best. But when Asians starting to come in and beating every single Americans, they were just too shocked. So instead of upgrading their play they stay to what they learn from they old. Europe upgraded, Asians keep on upgrading. Europe compete with Asians, even stay months in Asia just to learn and gamble. I saw Filler's game his spin and ball placement is too identical to Filipino players. If he is a bit tanned I will say he is a Filipino.

I don’t know that you can really survive here as a pool player. It’s not a sport on the same
level that it is in Asia or Europe. Not many high dollar sponsors, no pro tour. Most of the
Americans have families, house, car, and insurance payments and need employment
beyond pool that allows the means to care for and provide for a family.
Most spouses can’t be talked into several months to a couple of years to travel the Asian
or Euro tournament or tour circuit to perfect their game. The money support and support
otherwise in The USA just isn’t there anymore

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t know that you can really survive here as a pool player. It’s not a sport on the same
level that it is in Asia or Europe. Not many high dollar sponsors, no pro tour. Most of the
Americans have families, house, car, and insurance payments and need employment
beyond pool that allows the means to care for and provide for a family.
Most spouses can’t be talked into several months to a couple of years to travel the Asian
or Euro tournament or tour circuit to perfect their game. The money support and support
otherwise in The USA just isn’t there anymore

All those issues apply in Europe too (and I'm guessing Asia).

The Euro Tour is great in a sense, but the prize money barely covers more than expenses, so whilst its a tough tour, its not a financially lucrative one. The benefit to the players is exposure, which has potential for sponsors (and Mosconi Cup points).

Land prices are also probably higher on average in Europe than the US (excluding areas like Manhattan, bits of San Francisco, LA etc, but no pool player is going to live there unless they have an alternative source of funding anyway so that's sort of irrelevant).

Also a lot of the European guys are sponsored by...US cue manufacturers!

To be honest I don't know what the issue is, I struggle to believe its one of talent, I suspect its more a combination of attitude and culture.

Over here it feels like tournaments are priority and gambling occurs on the side (if at all), races are short in tournaments and so every shot has to be given 100%, especially the safety play, which I feel the US players perhaps neglect slightly.

I also feel that US culture views tournaments as secondary and gambling races to 100 as the top priority. There's nothing wrong with that of course....unless you're trying to win a competition that is short races and alternate breaks every year against a group of players that take that format very seriously and play it all year.

Over long races you can get into a groove and are more likely to pull off recovery shots by pure sharp shooting when you run out of position, whereas you don't have that luxury in short races. If the US players want to compete over the shorter distance they simply need to sharpen up. It will be tricky for the older guys, but the younger guys have no excuse, they need to do drills, drills, drills!

For the record I'm not saying the Europeans can't compete over a longer distance, as they have solid fundamentals I'm sure many of them could. I'm merely saying that I think the US probably has the talent, they just have the wrong focus if they want to compete in the Mosconi (and its a big if, whilst the players may want to take part...is it their top goal every year as for the Europeans, I genuinely believe it is)?

Last edited:

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member

Exactly. Great picture too.
When someone whines "But they pick from a whole continent!":sad:
It is ridiculous.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Where is Alaska and Hawaii?

:)

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In 8 consecutive losses since 2010, USA won 45 matches /points. That is average 5.6 points per year or an average score over 8 years of Europe 11 USA 6.
11-6 is not even close. That is only 35% matches won
If Europe won 11-9 or 11-10, you can say it was close and Europe was damn lucky , unfair, has lots of bakeries etc.
USA Captain Johan Ruijsink sums it best “......... when we came out there we didn’t bring enough quality to beat Europe.”

Thats-A-WRAP2-800x376.jpg

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

...the only number that makes a difference is the number of world class players residing there.

;)

I think you mean “the number of world class players FROM there”.