What if?

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fedora Gorst and Klenti Kaci, if Team Europe wanted them could they play for them?

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fedora Gorst and Klenti Kaci, if Team Europe wanted them could they play for them?

If you mean Team Europe for Mosconi Cup then I dont see any reason why not. The think is they are not among top 5 euro players at this moment, Fedor is 13th and Eklent is 17th in euro rankings. That really tells the story, you guys over the pond see only the tip of the iceberg when some of our players come to US soil, many top players dont compete outside of Europe much. ;)

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ouch!

I was afraid of that. My dear USA does not have much of a chance against all of those good players. There appears to be no end to them.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was afraid of that. My dear USA does not have much of a chance against all of those good players. There appears to be no end to them.

Well the competition on Eurotour is insanely tough, there are basically no dead money players, most of them are working hard on positional and potting drills, pattern play, their fundamentals are checked by instructors on regular basis, they work on their fitness and eat healthy. Tournament-wise you dont beat that by constantly matching up...
The way I see it the last strongholds of US players are 1pocket and bankpool because of the knowledge (those disciplines are not played in Europe or Asia) and for the time being thats where the money is in US pool (especially 1pocket). Well...nothing wrong with 1pocket, it is amazing game, it is just heavily biased towards knowledge vs execution which in turn really doesnt help US players in keeping up their rotation games skillset when played often.

GB Basher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Klaci is from Albania, wich is not in EU, not even on it's territory.

Agree they are not in the EU yet, although they have applied for membership.

However Mosconi Cup is USA vs Europe (not EU)
Albania are a part of Eastern Europe.
So Kaci could play for team Europe.

LeonD123

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agree they are not in the EU yet, although they have applied for membership.

However Mosconi Cup is USA vs Europe (not EU)
Albania are a part of Eastern Europe.
So Kaci could play for team Europe.

Yeah but ...

Turkey applied as well.

Why not China ?

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah but ...

Turkey applied as well.

Why not China ?

Ok, here we go again....
Mosconi Cup is a tournament contested between teams representing Europe and United States of America. And it is apparent that some info on Europe is needed. :rolleyes:
Europe includes 51 independent states. Russia, Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan, Georgia and Turkey are transcontinental countries, partially located in both Europe and Asia. Armenia and Cyprus politically are considered European countries, though geographically they are located in the West Asia territory.

Here is alphabetical list of states in Europe:
Albania
Andorra
Armenia
Austria
Azerbaijan
Belarus
Belgium
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Bulgaria
Croatia
Cyprus
Czech Republic
Denmark
Estonia
Finland
France
Georgia
Germany
Greece
Hungary
Iceland
Ireland
Italy
Kazakhstan
Kosovo
Latvia
Liechtenstein
Lithuania
Luxembourg
Macedonia (FYROM)
Malta
Moldova
Monaco
Montenegro
Netherlands
Norway
Poland
Portugal
Romania
Russia
San Marino
Serbia
Slovakia
Slovenia
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
Turkey
Ukraine
United Kingdom (UK)
Vatican City (Holy See)

So euro team members can be chosen from any of the above 51 states. Simple as that.:smile: And if anyone says something about it being not fair (1 continent vs 1 country) it may be suitable to stress out that USA=United States of America is federal republic comprised of 50 states + some self-governing territories so it is quite similar in number of states to Europe. :wink:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The US will be a BIG underdog in the MC for the foreseeable future. The complete lack of any next-generation of players is brutal but real. How many potential world-class players younger than Billy Thorpe are there? In EU they've got 'em stacked deep.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
If you mean Team Europe for Mosconi Cup then I dont see any reason why not. The think is they are not among top 5 euro players at this moment, Fedor is 13th and Eklent is 17th in euro rankings. That really tells the story, you guys over the pond see only the tip of the iceberg when some of our players come to US soil, many top players dont compete outside of Europe much. ;)

Then there’s all of Asia 🤣

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So euro team members can be chosen from any of the above 51 states. Simple as that. :)
It's even simpler really: Team Europe can draw its players from wherever Matchroom says it can draw its players. For example, many members of Team Europe have been American residents who were born in Europe, and one Team USA member was an American resident who was born in Asia. There don't seem to be any tight, logical rules about who can be on a team. I have no problem with that, but let's not apply some external rules to Matchroom that they really don't have to follow.

By the way, the *majority* of Team Europe over the years have been from Germany and the UK.

barrymuch90

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While I agree Europe has around 10x amount of players to choose from since the Mosconi only fields 5 players it’s not as big a gap as people think. If they were playing 50 vs 50 or more we’d be almost dead money but the fact it’s 5 g 5 allows us a real opportunity. The truth even if you ask the players from Europe the difference in skill between the two teams is minuscule and with the current format it’s truly not out of the realm for America to win a few in a row based on the amount of variance involved(short races, slip counts, 9 on the break, even early combos). The game of 9 ball has so much much and situation luck involved so I really believe that America has almost a 50/50 chance to win every single match and if the rolls go americas way don’t be surprised if they win.!!!!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While I agree Europe has around 10x amount of players to choose from since the Mosconi only fields 5 players it’s not as big a gap as people think. If they were playing 50 vs 50 or more we’d be almost dead money but the fact it’s 5 g 5 allows us a real opportunity. The truth even if you ask the players from Europe the difference in skill between the two teams is minuscule and with the current format it’s truly not out of the realm for America to win a few in a row based on the amount of variance involved(short races, slip counts, 9 on the break, even early combos). The game of 9 ball has so much much and situation luck involved so I really believe that America has almost a 50/50 chance to win every single match and if the rolls go americas way don’t be surprised if they win.!!!!
The Euro's have won 8-in-a-row and 10 out of last 11. At this level luck is a fairly small factor, even in 9ball. Folks, they play better, kick better and make better decisions. Don't expect the MC scenery to change much anytime soon.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So...

Now I am more confused. It just appears to me that Team Europe has more of a population of people to choose from then Team USA.

I think I will call the "Don" and ask him to wave the wand and give U.S. citizenship to a few Asian players, which would include Pinoy Land, might as well extend it to Kaci too.

Just dreaming guys. Fair, am I saying the current situation ain't fair? We all know if it is fair or not. Team Europe loves it's "fairness".

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A good start would be investing in the other 2 of the top 3 American players, instead of leaving them off the team.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For example, many members of Team Europe have been American residents who were born in Europe

Yes but this is of course completely irrelevant to any informal "rules" regarding eligibility. It is just as easy for Americans to gain residence in the UK as it is for Appleton and Shaw and co to reside in the USA. Neil Robertson and many a Chinese snooker player reside in the UK but we would never dream of calling them British or asking them to play for us. Their allegiance in any international event would be to their country of origin/where they grew up. Rightly so.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Yes, by all means, lets invite the single most boring player to watch in the known universe (Kaci) to the one pool event that's actually entertaining to non-players. Why not get Johnny Archer back too, maybe sedate him covertly so he gets even slower, then lets have a showdown between the two. They would need a shot calendar for that one and a crack team of paramedics to revive the audience members that collapse with boredom.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's even simpler really: Team Europe can draw its players from wherever Matchroom says it can draw its players. For example, many members of Team Europe have been American residents who were born in Europe, and one Team USA member was an American resident who was born in Asia. There don't seem to be any tight, logical rules about who can be on a team. I have no problem with that, but let's not apply some external rules to Matchroom that they really don't have to follow.

By the way, the *majority* of Team Europe over the years have been from Germany and the UK.

There is a big difference between a resident and a citizen, the rules are very clear :cool: And as far as "majority" goes you totally forgot about Netherlands and also Finland, Mika has been on the team only 15times :D :D :D

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:thumbup:
Yes, by all means, lets invite the single most boring player to watch in the known universe (Kaci) to the one pool event that's actually entertaining to non-players. Why not get Johnny Archer back too, maybe sedate him covertly so he gets even slower, then lets have a showdown between the two. They would need a shot calendar for that one and a crack team of paramedics to revive the audience members that collapse with boredom.
Ain't that the truth.