When did it start?

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When did the bar box start showing up in pro tournaments?

Did Efren, Buddy, Johnny and some of the other old pros have rack issues, or is this something new?

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are companies that put on large regional amateur tournaments on bar boxes. Sometimes they allow professionals to enter. Those are usually considered ProAms. It’s common for only a handful of professionals to drop in and try to snap it off.

I don’t know about racking issues being as prevalent before. There are a few aspects of the game that has evolved since the old days. Back then the Filipino players were the only ones who could kick with accuracy. Now every professional can kick 1, 2 or 3 rails to hit a specific side of the ball. Back then the cloth was super slow and professionals were trying to “find the break” at each event by moving the cue round until they get something going. Today Joe Tucker has broke down all the interactions for gaps in racks, SVB has taught people the merit of practicing the break in 8 hour sessions, magic racks make the balls bust up too predictably, fast cloth makes soft breaking easier, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
When did the bar box start showing up in pro tournaments?

Mid to late 80’s? When i lived in Tennessee in thr early 90’s, the Music City Open and the Chattanoogo Billiard Club tournaments were all in bar boxes. I believe the Lexington All Stars were also on bar boxes.

I was getting biliard magazines in the late 80’s (like others were), and bar box tournaments were being reported back then.

Did Efren, Buddy, Johnny and some of the other old pros have rack issues, or is this something new?
They did check (more like glanced at) the racks, but nothing like they so today. There’s so much more rack knowledge today, and so many that take advantage of such knowledge.

Freddie <~~~ doesn’t check league racks

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
There were many small table events being held all over the Southeast (and Midwest) during the 70's as well. Added money could be anywhere from $500 to $2,500 and the entry fees were in the $50-100 range. First prize most weeks was $1,000 and Buddy Hall won a zillion of these tournaments. They were weekend events and Buddy crisscrossed the country playing in as many as he could. There were a lot of bar table champions following this circuit as well and once in a while someone knocked off Buddy. I suspect he played a couple dozen of these events (maybe more) each year and made a nice living off them.