Anyone going to the Derby that has a DBK cue?

ddadams

Absolutely love this cue.
Silver Member
If anyone is going to the Derby and has a DBK cue with a hornbeam shaft, would ya be willing to bring it to let me try a rack or two with it?

I'll letcha hit a few with my Sugartree I'm gonna be bringing if you like?

All pm's or replies appreciated.

Danny

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Jimmy Baxter might have a few left as he used to deal with Dmitry (sp).

He brought several to Vegas one year and I tried all of them. all were A OK in my book.

I was drooling on them. Now without a hall any longer, my custom cue days are over until
we get another but I would consider a DBK any day of the week.

I doubt that you would be disappointed in any of his cues.

Thats the best I can do to let you know about the quality and playability of them. The Craftsmanship is flawless. When yer holding a DBK in your hand, you know what you have and don't have to guess.

I think that Jimmy may have been taking it easy on me that day but I did manage to squeak in a few good wins using a DBK.

Last edited:

Jim Baxter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have one in stalk , but cant go anywhere , to busy takeing care of my wife . Sorry , jim

ddadams

Silver Member
I have one in stalk , but cant go anywhere , to busy takeing care of my wife . Sorry , jim

Don't apologize for doing the right thing. I hope she gets better soon and I wish both of you well.

Jimmy Baxter might have a few left as he used to deal with Dmitry (sp).

He brought several to Vegas one year and I tried all of them. all were A OK in my book.

I was drooling on them. Now without a hall any longer, my custom cue days are over until
we get another but I would consider a DBK any day of the week.

I doubt that you would be disappointed in any of his cues.

Thats the best I can do to let you know about the quality and playability of them. The Craftsmanship is flawless. When yer holding a DBK in your hand, you know what you have and don't have to guess.

I think that Jimmy may have been taking it easy on me that day but I did manage to squeak in a few good wins using a DBK.

I'm pretty picky on a lot of little details and when I first saw his cues I knew that I had to have one, but I really am curious if I'll like the hornbeam shafts or not. It's a little expensive experiment for me to just order one and hope I like it.

Ideally I'd like to try one for at least a few minutes just to see if it's something I really like, then I'd most likely order a pretty large cue...

I really think his cues are above and beyond for his pricing, I just wish I actually knew people with them..

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I can't remember 100% but with the cues Jim had with him, one must had had a Horn Beam shaft. They call it Horn Beam but I think that we have the equivalent in wood, just another name. Now I can't even remember the name of the wood. That doesn't help much does it. I remember that one of the shafts had points cut into it. Very pretty.

All the cues had a very crisp hit. Very distinctive. I'm not quite so sure that I own one that comes close. They were all the same with no drastic variances that you would be able to pick out.

So for myself, it wouldn't be as much as having to pick out the best playing cue as much as picking out the one that I liked the looks of better. And that in itself would have been a tough one.

Last edited:

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member
Don't apologize for doing the right thing. I hope she gets better soon and I wish both of you well.

I'm pretty picky on a lot of little details and when I first saw his cues I knew that I had to have one, but I really am curious if I'll like the hornbeam shafts or not. It's a little expensive experiment for me to just order one and hope I like it.

Ideally I'd like to try one for at least a few minutes just to see if it's something I really like, then I'd most likely order a pretty large cue...

I really think his cues are above and beyond for his pricing, I just wish I actually knew people with them..

How long before you just start making your own Danny? I think you have a serious cue addiction, and the folks here are just feeding your problem. I think you might need an intervention... :D:D:D:D

Can't wait to hear your thought if you get to try on out buddy! I am not going to make the derby this year... My wife said if I leave her here with our first kid for a week while she's pregnant, she'll make sure I can't maker her that way again, whatever that means... I figured I better stay home.

All the best, Good luck in your search!!!

Jim Baxter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Hornbeam shafts do have a stiff hit . Very crisp, like what Terry says , the one cue I have here has points , Dmitry call it a Crown shaft . He uses a ivorine 4 ferrel , and Morri M tips .

If you was to buy the cue I have here , and not like it , return it in 10 days for a full refund , minus the return shipping costs .

Jim

ddadams

Silver Member
So for myself, it wouldn't be as much as having to pick out the best playing cue as much as picking out the one that I liked the looks of better. And that in itself would have been a tough one.

I have no doubt they're good players, that's why I want to try one so bad ;) - I wanna know just how good they stack up against my two favorite playing cues.

How long before you just start making your own Danny? I think you have a serious cue addiction, and the folks here are just feeding your problem. I think you might need an intervention... :D:D:D:D

Can't wait to hear your thought if you get to try on out buddy! I am not going to make the derby this year... My wife said if I leave her here with our first kid for a week while she's pregnant, she'll make sure I can't maker her that way again, whatever that means... I figured I better stay home.

All the best, Good luck in your search!!!

Hey bud where you get off coming on here acting like a cue addiction is a bad thing? :rolleyes:

I've asked Brent a whole bunch when he's gonna start teaching me. He'll budge eventually. I'd rather play though.

I DO want to try your cue out though. I'm not sure I want something as stiff as a purple heart shaft though. But I do like the wood.

I'm not *that* addicted to cues... A quick count off of the top of my head only counts about 13-14 more that I want.

There may be another 10 I've forgotten about, (as I'm typing this I remember a few more here and there) but I'm sure it'll never get into the hundreds.

The Hornbeam shafts do have a stiff hit . Very crisp, like what Terry says , the one cue I have here has points , Dmitry call it a Crown shaft . He uses a ivorine 4 ferrel , and Morri M tips .

If you was to buy the cue I have here , and not like it , return it in 10 days for a full refund , minus the return shipping costs .

Jim

This is a very tempting offer. I might end up taking you up on this if nobody can help me out on this.

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member
I h

I'm not *that* addicted to cues... A quick count off of the top of my head only counts about 13-14 more that I want.

There may be another 10 I've forgotten about, (as I'm typing this I remember a few more here and there) but I'm sure it'll never get into the hundreds.
s.

This is how it starts. I only want like 1 to 15 or 20 more, then BAM, you end up one of the big dogs with a closet full of cues!!!!

My purple heart shaft was the stiffest hitting cue I EVER hit. I broke 34mph with it once!!!! (according to break speed ap... But I also recorded a 31mph and two 30mph)

I hear you. I get little nuggets of knowledge from Keith all the time. I think I can almost recite the steps to making a cue, but I've never even touched a machine lathe. I use to do a bunch of wood working when I was younger, so I would like to try it out. maybe someday!!!

All the best my friend!!!

ddadams

Silver Member
This is how it starts. I only want like 1 to 15 or 20 more, then BAM, you end up one of the big dogs with a closet full of cues!!!!

My purple heart shaft was the stiffest hitting cue I EVER hit. I broke 34mph with it once!!!! (according to break speed ap... But I also recorded a 31mph and two 30mph)

I hear you. I get little nuggets of knowledge from Keith all the time. I think I can almost recite the steps to making a cue, but I've never even touched a machine lathe. I use to do a bunch of wood working when I was younger, so I would like to try it out. maybe someday!!!

All the best my friend!!!

Hell man, I don't use a hard break but thats FAST. Huge transfer of energy...

Any DBKs coming to the DCC?

ziggystardust

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Big Tattoo

Hey...Help the guy out. Just send a couple of your girls to the derby with the cue. Sounds like a win-win situation for everyone.

Simple

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I could send mine, I would :) Selling my old 61'' DBK...
Probably Dmitry can send one of his cues to some russian player who is going to play at DCC.