Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Can AZB Win Back Top Pros and Instructors?
Page 5 of 6 « First 345 6

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#61)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

06-12-2019, 10:07 AM

Top instructors like Tor Lowry are way too busy.

Old
  (#62)
GaryB
AzB Silver Member
GaryB has a reputation beyond reputeGaryB has a reputation beyond reputeGaryB has a reputation beyond reputeGaryB has a reputation beyond reputeGaryB has a reputation beyond reputeGaryB has a reputation beyond reputeGaryB has a reputation beyond reputeGaryB has a reputation beyond reputeGaryB has a reputation beyond reputeGaryB has a reputation beyond reputeGaryB has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

06-12-2019, 09:39 PM

Late to the table but thanks for the post SpiderWebbComm. A lot of worthwhile people have been missing here for a long time.

I'm not a social media person. In fact my kids and grandkids kid me about being a technological dinosaur. However, I do realize how much I'm missing, especially about pool.

Double edged sword here as moderators don't really do a great job of moderating the fools who create the problems but the management needs the volume to keep on existing.

I do know that the forums are not as creative as they once were but I don't think that we will be lucky enough to recapture the old days. I have never heard a positive comment about the changes to the "For Sale" forum but the new format still exists.

I was very surprised when I read the first few comments on your post.

Good luck to you.

Old
  (#63)
9 Ball Fan
Darth Maximus
9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute

06-12-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianEye View Post
Nothing against Dr. Dave or anybody else, but I'd rather have a talkative Earl Strickland on here than all the "instructors" and "pool scientists" combined on AZB.

Yes, please yes!!! Haha!!!

Favorite Cues:
Meucci Pro Series
1990s Viking

Old
  (#64)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-13-2019, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderWebComm View Post
...maybe you do need a "safe space" Captain Snowflake ❄ ;-)

If this were my site, I'd attract [pros], protect them...
So those snowflake pros need a "safe space"...?

pj
chgo

Old
  (#65)
iusedtoberich
AzB Silver Member

iusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1470

06-13-2019, 06:41 AM

A few comments:

Attacks on FB are even more common than attacks on forums such as this, IMO. Did you guys ever read the comments on FB public posts. I follow gym type posts a lot, and even with people using their real names on FB, they are cursing at each other and calling each other idiots on a regular basis.

Ease of use: On FB, you can upload a video of your practice shot, or a picture of a shot, or a picture of a bracket, or anything like that, and its super easy. These forums make it a pain in the ass to do that. 15 years later, and its the same difficult process. I'm actually surprise Vbulliten has not improved this process in 15 years.

Pros participating: do pros in other sports every participate on their sport's forums? I doubt it. In the 15-18 years or so since AZ has been around, there have been a scattering of pros that were participating "like one of the regulars". Those included Incardona, Schmidt, Sarah, Mills, Bertram, Strickland, Taddemy, and McCready. I might have missed a couple. The other pros would come on once a year and ask for sponsorship money, then disappear.

Here is another point on pros. They don't build a brand on here, whereas they do on FB. If they have limited time to interact online, why would they choose AZ instead of FB? An AZ thread gets buried in a few days. A post on FB gets rebroadcast to thousands with the likes and the shares in a matter of days. Or, a video on Youtube gets the same action as on FB, just over a longer time period.

Instructors on here: many of them don't even give advice to someone asking, and instead have a canned response of: "go see xyz instructor in your area and they are worthless if they don't video tape your session".

How are other Vbulliten forums handling competition from FB, Youtube, etc?

I'm actually completely off of FB as of about 6 months ago, but I was on it for 10 years prior, and it was very easy to use.

One thing I think the forums have an advantage of, is you can search for information. I follow another forum for cnc machines, and use that feature a lot to learn about different topics.

Edit to add, the moderation on this forum I will disagree with others and say its "too strict". Many members have been banned that were great contributors for idiotic reasons, imo. Superstar was one such poster. I think letting posters be a bit brash and controversial makes the forum more fun and lively.

Old
  (#66)
JAM
On the Hill
JAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 325

06-13-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iusedtoberich View Post
One thing I think the forums have an advantage of, is you can search for information. I follow another forum for cnc machines, and use that feature a lot to learn about different topics.
Definitely agree. I use the search feature a lot for data, info, photos that I'm trying to find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iusedtoberich
Edit to add, the moderation on this forum I will disagree with others and say its "too strict". Many members have been banned that were great contributors for idiotic reasons, imo. Superstar was one such poster. I think letting posters be a bit brash and controversial makes the forum more fun and lively.
Disagree on this point.

Old
  (#67)
DecentShot
AzB Silver Member
DecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond repute

06-13-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianEye View Post
Nothing against Dr. Dave or anybody else, but I'd rather have a talkative Earl Strickland on here than all the "instructors" and "pool scientists" combined on AZB.
You can't get the full Earl experience through a keyboard. Now if there was an AZ live like FB live.....

Old
  (#68)
9 Ball Fan
Darth Maximus
9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute

06-13-2019, 11:16 AM

I hate I missed reading Earl's opinions on here.

Favorite Cues:
Meucci Pro Series
1990s Viking

Old
  (#69)
Poolhall60561
AzB Silver Member
Poolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond repute

06-13-2019, 11:35 AM

How about we just get Joe Rogan to be Earl. I think he’s got it down.

Old
  (#70)
Balls
Big Brass Balls

Balls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond repute

Cool 06-13-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9 Ball Fan View Post
I hate I missed reading Earl's opinions on here.
I would love to read Earls opinions.

Funny Story, I was talking to a coach at an event and I asked about 5 hour and the kids and what he advised and he answered, I can't answer that. Turns out they can't yea or nay it do to liability reasons and referred to the giant list online.

So I'm kinda wondering if the instructors here could take on some liability they might not want to take on for free?

Nevertheless their thoughts or comments on "that shot at 10:39 in the video" would help spark more conversation. But when it comes to the point of giving free advice that sticks around forever, I don't think they should do that and actually if they aren't already restricted but their school they should be restricted from giving free advice here which might add more liability for AZ. granted I don't know how that could happen..

I would go on to suggest that the Pros and instructors actually create a complete internet presence which could have an ask a question product. I used to do that and it worked pretty good. Then their comments can lead back to their site where they can get paid for their skills.

I did suggest "know your customer" to the admin and if that's possible it would reduce the fake accounts and trolls and allow the Pros and Instructors feel more comfortable.

Supporting Olympic dreams since 2009

Old
  (#71)
JC
Needs Moderation

JC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond repute

06-13-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls View Post
I would love to read Earls opinions.

Funny Story, I was talking to a coach at an event and I asked about 5 hour and the kids and what he advised and he answered, I can't answer that. Turns out they can't yea or nay it do to liability reasons and referred to the giant list online.

So I'm kinda wondering if the instructors here could take on some liability they might not want to take on for free?

Nevertheless their thoughts or comments on "that shot at 10:39 in the video" would help spark more conversation. But when it comes to the point of giving free advice that sticks around forever, I don't think they should do that and actually if they aren't already restricted but their school they should be restricted from giving free advice here which might add more liability for AZ. granted I don't know how that could happen..

I would go on to suggest that the Pros and instructors actually create a complete internet presence which could have an ask a question product. I used to do that and it worked pretty good. Then their comments can lead back to their site where they can get paid for their skills.

I did suggest "know your customer" to the admin and if that's possible it would reduce the fake accounts and trolls and allow the Pros and Instructors feel more comfortable.
The truth is people on this site as a whole don't much care about pros or instructors.

Not enough to ever pay them for their knowledge.

They would rather be stuck at a 450 fargo than part with a dollar to learn how to be better. And it's weird too because pool is the main hobby of a bunch of them. They live and breath it until it's time to pony up. You would think they would want to get better at it.

JC

It's not what you don't know that get's you in trouble
It's what you know that just ain't so

do you do your part?
Old
  (#72)
ShootingArts
Smorg is giving the 7!
ShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

do you do your part? - 06-13-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryB View Post
Late to the table but thanks for the post SpiderWebbComm. A lot of worthwhile people have been missing here for a long time.

I'm not a social media person. In fact my kids and grandkids kid me about being a technological dinosaur. However, I do realize how much I'm missing, especially about pool.

Double edged sword here as moderators don't really do a great job of moderating the fools who create the problems but the management needs the volume to keep on existing.

I do know that the forums are not as creative as they once were but I don't think that we will be lucky enough to recapture the old days. I have never heard a positive comment about the changes to the "For Sale" forum but the new format still exists.

I was very surprised when I read the first few comments on your post.

Good luck to you.

Gary,

A lot of people complain about the moderation but there is one public moderator here now I believe and maybe a few hidden ones. There is a button on every post to report the post or use that button on the thread starter and report the whole thread. That calls a problem thread to the mod's attention that they might not have read. As a moderator other places I didn't read every post on every thread that seemed bland. Those that don't report problem threads have little basis to complain about moderators.

In over thirty years on the internet I doubt I have reported a half-dozen threads and that was mainly helping friends who were admins or mods so I have no claim to high ground about reporting threads but I don't complain about poor moderation either.

If people would report threads that need attention moderation would improve dramatically. Usually there are about three people reporting threads. Those three people stir crap and then get butt hurt when they can't finish it and report posts. They are like tattletales in grade school so they rarely get their way.

Hu

howdy
Old
  (#73)
Danny Harriman
AzB Silver Member
Danny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond repute

Red face howdy - 06-15-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyInCali View Post
Top instructors like Tor Lowry are way too busy.
Does Lowry play one pocket for friendly wager? if so I have cue and will travel.

Old
  (#74)
DecentShot
AzB Silver Member
DecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond repute

06-15-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Harriman View Post
Does Lowry play one pocket for friendly wager? if so I have cue and will travel.
1 pro post, 1 candy from a baby request. Can't make this up.

Old
  (#75)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute

06-15-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls View Post

I would go on to suggest that the Pros and instructors actually create a complete internet presence which could have an ask a question product.
CJ Wiley already has this.

Page 5 of 6 « First 345 6

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: