The EDGES of Pool Balls

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First....edges are not on a sphere. That’s a fact. Nothing to do with belief. Thinking a sphere has edges is not fact, but a belief.

Hey duckie, how about horizons? A sphere does not have an edge but it does have a horizon. Would you be OK saying you can aim the cue ball at the left or right horizon of the ob?

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
You think "seeing 3D" means "able to see the backside of things" (or around corners)? I think it just means "able to perceive depth".

And I wonder if that's possible with less than two images.

pj
chgo

Yes. If we could see the Z parameter, rather than just seeing X and Y, then we'd be seeing 3D instead of relying on the brain to trick us into thinking we're seeing 3D when we're really only seeing 2D images.

The perception of depth is not something our eyes provide -- it is something our brain creates. Most people can close one eye and still be able to perceive depth. This is because the brain sorts through (compares) countless images that have been captured throughout your life, and it uses this single 2D image from one eye, along with similar images stored in memory, to create the perception of depth. In other words, due to experience, the brain is able to extrapolate depth from a single 2D image. However, it doesn't do so well with constantly changing/moving images, like if you're trying to catch a ball or play tennis.

Last edited:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In other words, due to experience, the brain is able to extrapolating depth from a single 2D image. However, it doesn't do so well with constantly changing/moving images, like if you're trying to catch a ball or play tennis.

I used to have a boss who claimed he had poor depth perception. Everyday life was fine, and he drove every day, but he said he had more fender benders than usual because of that.

mohrt

Student of the Game
Silver Member
This whole thread wreaks of BS. Duckie just wants to argue, plain and simple. Anyone looking at a ball on a table can clearly note the delineation from table cloth to ball surface. This is not up for interpretation. If you can’t see this, you couldn’t possibly play pool. This is clearly what is meant by “edge”. Stop filling the forums with mindless drivel, you just waste everyone’s time.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
This whole thread wreaks of BS. Duckie just wants to argue, plain and simple. Anyone looking at a ball on a table can clearly note the delineation from table cloth to ball surface. This is not up for interpretation. If you can’t see this, you couldn’t possibly play pool. This is clearly what is meant by “edge”. Stop filling the forums with mindless drivel, you just waste everyone’s time.

When I happen to trip over threads of "mindless drivel" (and there are plenty down here in the Aiming Forum), I don't waste time reading anymore than a couple of posts, just enough to decide whether or not I'm wasting time with silly beliefs, unreasonable opinions, or unexplainable phenomena. Sometimes it provides for good entertainment. Other times it is thought-provoking. The thing is, what one person sees as "mindless drivel", another might see as nuggets of gold.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
When I happen to trip over threads of "mindless drivel" (and there are plenty down here in the Aiming Forum), I don't waste time reading anymore than a couple of posts, just enough to decide whether or not I'm wasting time with silly beliefs, unreasonable opinions, or unexplainable phenomena. Sometimes it provides for good entertainment. Other times it is thought-provoking. The thing is, what one person sees as "mindless drivel", another might see as nuggets of gold.

:thumbup2:

And some people have more invested in something & may be biased in there determinations with possible ulterior motives regarding their judgements... or not... Perhaps they are just full of blind confirmation bias.

I forget which member said it, but he said it rather well in a long paragraph. Some simply can NOT admit The Truth because of the commitment that they have made & if they Admit the Truth they then show themselves to have been fools in the first place.

As a coach in the 3 major sports & some golf, I "know" that saying something differently, sometimes even if wrong, is what it can take to get the light bulb to go off for the student athlete.

I can imagine that it might be the same way for Guitar.

ALL Best Wishes.

PS A cube. It has edges. Looking head on we see a square. If we move to the side, do we see 1 or 2 edges... or a whole array of surface points that make up another square that we then see as what, a parallelogram?

Last edited:

mohrt

Student of the Game
Silver Member

This thread comparing definitions of edge vs sphere is mindless drivel. Nobody learns from it. It forwards the conversation NONE. When you say “edge of the ball” in pool, everyone knows what that means. There is no question.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some simply can NOT admit The Truth because of the commitment that they have made & if they Admit the Truth they then show themselves to have been fools in the first place.

That would describe the naysayers perfectly

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
This thread comparing definitions of edge vs sphere is mindless drivel. Nobody learns from it. It forwards the conversation NONE. When you say “edge of the ball” in pool, everyone knows what that means. There is no question.

I agree 100% that everyone should know what the "edge of the ball" means in pool. Duckie is the exception. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who's attempted to persuade him to accept "edge" as normal pool terminology, despite being geometrically challenged.

As far as info on how the eyes and brain work together to create the world we see, I don't believe everyone realizes this. So the thread isn't all mindless drivel.

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
I’ve always known what was meant. I originally made that statement in jest, but so many made a effort to prove that balls had edges, I just couldn’t let it go.

What is even funnier is that what I thought matter to so many.

It’s been a real chuckle.........

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
I’ve always known what was meant. I originally made that statement in jest, but so many made a effort to prove that balls had edges, I just couldn’t let it go.

I think that's one of the best bits I've ever read! And I was suckered in too!!:thumbup:

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

So in other words...you were trolling.

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
There are so many who think they have a analytical mind when I fact they just accept whatever and really don’t know how or why to think analytically.

They want to sound all technical like. Like they know what they are talking about.....but give out false info...............light rays reach the eyes at different speeds, the brain sees in 2d, lots of assumption on how vision works and a few more.

So many have gotten caught up in, well this is the way it always been done, new ideas scare them. Shattering old beliefs leaves them with nothing, hence the hostility to anything different.

Now that you can’t question anything, have to keep quiet even when false info is put out there, like everyone uses CTE, they just don’t know it.....well that’s not good.

But they got their way. They are golden allowed to spread misinformation at will.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
There are so many who think they have a analytical mind when I fact they just accept whatever and really don’t know how or why to think analytically.

They want to sound all technical like. Like they know what they are talking about.....but give out false info...............light rays reach the eyes at different speeds, the brain sees in 2d, lots of assumption on how vision works and a few more.

So many have gotten caught up in, well this is the way it always been done, new ideas scare them. Shattering old beliefs leaves them with nothing, hence the hostility to anything different.

Now that you can’t question anything, have to keep quiet even when false info is put out there, like everyone uses CTE, they just don’t know it.....well that’s not good.

But they got their way. They are golden allowed to spread misinformation at will.

:thumbup2:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member

The mind is an amazing thing, especially when it comes to perceiving the world through 2D eyesight. The mind creates 3D. It also fills in the blindspot of each eye by using colors and shapes provided in the 2D images from each eye, like an automatic photoshop program constantly running in the background to coverup what would otherwise be two black spots in our vision, the place on each retina where the optic nerve connects to the eye. It is truly amazing.

In reality we SEE (through visual input) a couple of 2D images, each with a black dot, the black dots being where there are no receptors for light due to optic nerves connected to the retinas. The brain's cerebral cortex takes what we literally SEE and creates the perception of 3D, filling in those black spots along the way. The brain itself sees nothing. It receives input from the eyes in the form of electrical signals and then creates (makes up) the world we see based on these signals and prior experiences.

I mean, if you want to be scientifically correct, the above statements analytically define how vision works. No assumptions. The critical thinking style is to just simply say, "We see in 3D", which combines all the working parts (visual input from the eyes along with the brain's visual processing capabilities), encompassing all as a whole, as one working unit, which is also correct.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
The mind is an amazing thing, especially when it comes to perceiving the world through 2D eyesight. The mind creates 3D. It also fills in the blindspot of each eye by using colors and shapes provided in the 2D images from each eye, like an automatic photoshop program constantly running in the background to coverup what would otherwise be two black spots in our vision, the place on each retina where the optic nerve connects to the eye. It is truly amazing.

In reality we SEE (through visual input) a couple of 2D images, each with a black dot, the black dots being where there are no receptors for light due to optic nerves connected to the retinas. The brain's cerebral cortex takes what we literally SEE and creates the perception of 3D, filling in those black spots along the way. The brain itself sees nothing. It receives input from the eyes in the form of electrical signals and then creates (makes up) the world we see based on these signals and prior experiences.

I mean, if you want to be scientifically correct, the above statements analytically define how vision works. No assumptions. The critical thinking style is to just simply say, "We see in 3D", which combines all the working parts (visual input from the eyes along with the brain's visual processing capabilities), encompassing all as a whole, as one working unit, which is also correct.

I have relayed an experiment that NASA did, but I can not remember where. They put goggles of subjects that inverted what they saw to up side down. Gradually, over time, their Brains reverse it to where they again "saw" up side up. Then, the goggles where removed & they 'saw' up side down again. Gradually, over time, their brains reverse the images back to up side up.

The image is up side down on our retina just as it is on the film of a camera. It is our brain that does "The Work".

It a way, our eyes are just the camera & our brain is the developer & print material.

All Best Wishes, Brian.

mohrt

Student of the Game
Silver Member
I have relayed an experiment that NASA did, but I can not remember where. They put goggles of subjects that inverted what they saw to up side down. Gradually, over time, their Brains reverse it to where they again "saw" up side up. Then, the goggles where removed & they 'saw' up side down again. Gradually, over time, their brains reverse the images back to up side up.

The image is up side down on our retina just as it is on the film of a camera. It is our brain that does "The Work".

It a way, our eyes are just the camera & our brain is the developer & print material.

All Best Wishes, Brian.

Huh, our eyes work like a camera you say? Would you say the film of a camera is 2D or 3D? ;)

dbgordie

Thread Killer!!
Silver Member
After reading much of this thread I've determined that CTE(discussions) hurt my brain. :grin: