What type of shot do you enjoy the most?

Push&Pool

Professional Banger
Silver Member
What kind of shot do you find the most fun and enjoyable, the one that gives you that special thrill when playing pool? Not necessarily the most useful or challenging one, but the one that makes you enjoy and "feel" the game the most. Also, I'm not talking about shot techniques, like soft or hard shots, spin or no spin, masse, bank, stop, draw etc. I'm referring to the nature or purpose of the shot. Is it:

1. Pocketing a ball and finding perfect position for the next one

2. Pocketing a difficult ball at all costs, even if it means sacrificing position

3. A straight-up safety shot which leaves your opponent in a truly bad spot

4. An attempt at a pocket, but which leaves the cue ball in a difficult position for the opponent in case you miss

5. Getting ball-in-hand

6. Hitting a ball hard while aiming at a pocket, so you maybe make something else if you miss the intended pocket (if slop counts)

7. Scattering the balls by hitting a large number of them hard, in order to completely rearrange the table situations (hopefully in your favor)

8. Blocking a pocket by one of your balls

9. Getting an opponent's ball away from a pocket, or generally creating problem balls for them

10. Making an intentional foul for whatever reason if it works in your favor in a specific situation

I personally prefer having high-percentage shots available, with a good possibility to find a favorable position for the next shot, or at least an efficient safety option. But what I enjoy the most are hard shots where I shoot at a pocket, but in the end make more that one of my balls somewhere, and maybe create one or more problem balls for the opponent at the same time. That is followed by scatter shots. Very few things in pool are better than the opponent having a clear situation to run out in one moment, and in the next few seconds finding themselves in a position with the CB in the middle of a cluster and at least a few of my balls blocking theirs.

What are your favorites? If it's something other than the ones I listed, feel free to describe.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Cutting a ball backwards like it's straight in and controlling Whitey at the same time ( almost always with inside english ). Opponents never fail to look like someone just punched them in the solar plexus!

:grin:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What kind of shot do you find the most fun and enjoyable, the one that gives you that special thrill when playing pool? Not necessarily the most useful or challenging one, but the one that makes you enjoy and "feel" the game the most. Also, I'm not talking about shot techniques, like soft or hard shots, spin or no spin, masse, bank, stop, draw etc. I'm referring to the nature or purpose of the shot. Is it:

1. Pocketing a ball and finding perfect position for the next one

2. Pocketing a difficult ball at all costs, even if it means sacrificing position

3. A straight-up safety shot which leaves your opponent in a truly bad spot

4. An attempt at a pocket, but which leaves the cue ball in a difficult position for the opponent in case you miss

5. Getting ball-in-hand

6. Hitting a ball hard while aiming at a pocket, so you maybe make something else if you miss the intended pocket (if slop counts)

7. Scattering the balls by hitting a large number of them hard, in order to completely rearrange the table situations (hopefully in your favor)

8. Blocking a pocket by one of your balls

9. Getting an opponent's ball away from a pocket, or generally creating problem balls for them

10. Making an intentional foul for whatever reason if it works in your favor in a specific situation

I personally prefer having high-percentage shots available, with a good possibility to find a favorable position for the next shot, or at least an efficient safety option. But what I enjoy the most are hard shots where I shoot at a pocket, but in the end make more that one of my balls somewhere, and maybe create one or more problem balls for the opponent at the same time. That is followed by scatter shots. Very few things in pool are better than the opponent having a clear situation to run out in one moment, and in the next few seconds finding themselves in a position with the CB in the middle of a cluster and at least a few of my balls blocking theirs.

What are your favorites? If it's something other than the ones I listed, feel free to describe.
A 3" straight-in for the cheddar.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
5x10 snooker table....tight but not trap
..down 16 points with 3 colors left....betting a bunch of $ In a guy’s basement

..6 and 7 ball on the end rail with whitey in between...about 3 inches off the rail...
...5-ball straight in about a foot from the far corner pocket...
...I jacked up and drew the cue ball right back where it started....
...rolled the 6 and 7 ball in....that became my first big win in Detroit as a kid.

Walked into a pool hall on Nine Mile Road 20 years later...guy I did that shot on was there...
...he set it up on the 5x10 and handed me a 13mm pool cue...said “Show them.”
...I said “I can’t do that with a pool cue...I was using a snooker cue back then.”
..he said “Try it anyways.”...I made it and got halfway back.

I’m no Mike Massey...but I can draw pretty good

Michael Andros

Silver Member
5x10 snooker table....tight but not trap
..down 16 points with 3 colors left....betting a bunch of $ In a guy’s basement

..6 and 7 ball on the end rail with whitey in between...about 3 inches off the rail...
...5-ball straight in about a foot from the far corner pocket...
...I jacked up and drew the cue ball right back where it started....
...rolled the 6 and 7 ball in....that became my first big win in Detroit as a kid.

Walked into a pool hall on Nine Mile Road 20 years later...guy I did that shot on was there...
...he set it up on the 5x10 and handed me a 13mm pool cue...said “Show them.”
...I said “I can’t do that with a pool cue...I was using a snooker cue back then.”
..he said “Try it anyways.”...I made it and got halfway back.

I’m no Mike Massey...but I can draw pretty good

Uh huh... ssuuurreeee you did, PT.

Video, please.

:dance:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
carom shots, which in reality are every single shot on any billiard table

but you know what i mean

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
The one shot where I have zero concern of tight pockets, or traffic, or shape, or leave.

I'm talking 'bout the lag.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
I’m working on a video of my best draw shot, Michael....it’s an on-going thing...
...ball aint stopped yet...:cool:

pt....going broke on table time...:grin:

Spitting my coffee all over my monitor.

( Actually, just kidding. I haven't had a cup of coffee in 3 weeks now. Man, I want one. So, yeah, thanks, PT. For making me think about spitting coffee that I can't have all over my monitor... ) :bash: :eek: :D :angry: :yeah:

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Changing my answer; banking cross table to top corner when cue ball and object ball are at bottom of table.

Last edited:

Michael Andros

Silver Member
I also LOVE 5 rail bank ( or kick ). I shoot that shot almost every time I practice. It feels soooo good when I hit it perfecto.

:grin: