Nicest customs you have picked up for under $500

nineballsafety8

6ft 5" 285, hits 'em hard
Silver Member
There are multitude of amazing cues out there floating around, and most of the come at a premium price point.

Let's see some of the CUSTOM cues (not hey here is my custom meucci, mcdermott, viking etc.) that have been picked up for under $500

I have had 2 so far that were under that price point... one was a James Hanshew 4 pointer. Kingwood with birdseye points, and black linen, but don't have pics of it.

The other is my current player, which is a custom Schmelke 8 point full splice (currently being refinished, should be here by Saturday)

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lots of really great cues can be had in that price range.

My first custom cue was this bem Olney that I got direct from Jeff after a well timed email (he was just finishing up a couple plain jane cues and offered me a choice between this one and a cocobolo model). This was back in '09 and it was a good bit below price cap here, really can't believe how nice of a cue it is considering how affordable it was. I absolutely love this cue, it's currently back with Jeff right now getting a new shaft and a new wrap put on.

olney-1.jpg

Next would be my Diveney sneaky pete. Really great playing cues at an affordable price, he's pretty well known for his sp cues and for good reason.

fb3b466d-c72d-4045-bb4f-e5eb05bf6ecf.jpg

Finally, my Gilbert jump/break. Another great value in the custom cue world. I think everyone knows about these but they really are impressive, built just like his regular cues (not from full splice blanks) the quality is pretty amazing considering it's a sub-$500 4-point cue

gilbert.jpg

So much value to be had in custom cues if you look in the right places.

runout1961

Ecclesiastes Ch. 12: 1-7
Silver Member
I don't mean to bombard the thread with another Gilbert jump/break but here's mine. I got it from a guy that came into the pool room with a bunch of cues for sale because he was hard up for cash.

When he pulled this cue out of the case it was brand new never chalked. Not a single scratch or dent on it. The tip was still unchalked. I got it for $200! I changed the tip to a samsara jump break tip and I couldn't be happier with it.

IMG_0469.jpg

IMG_0470.jpg

IMG_0470.jpg

IMG_0473.jpg

IMG_0475.jpg

IMG_0474.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
I bought this very cue on ebay years ago with a 2x4 ustom case, Swift I think it was. I actually only wanted the case and the cue was listed as "unknown maker". The signature was written very lightly and I didn't even notice it until a few weeks later.

www.proficientbilliards.com/cues/pechauer/texas_express/index.htm

There are lots of great cues out there for $500 or under, some routinely priced that way and others sold for a lot less than they should be.

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For under $500, I have picked up a second catalog Palmer with a titlist blank, an R6 Schon, Capone PJ, two Third catalog Palmers, a few custom sneakies, a custom 6 pointer from a builder in Washington, Shannon cocobolo PJ, Jackson Birdseye PJ, Coker sneaky, Schrader Sneaky, Lil Al Romero sneaky(I want it back wherever it is), Dan Westin SW tribute, 70's Joss, actually all my cues, custom or production have cost me less than $500, most under $200, except for my first custom, a Jacoby with ivory and a gold coin, and my Runde.

HereWeGo

♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫♬·¯·♩
Silver Member
Once upon a time I bought a Justis 2x4 with a Searing and a Mike Webb cue inside for $700. While the package was over $500 I am pretty sure this fits the scenario. The good ole days.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Love that Olney! That looks like the perfect wrapless from Jeff, the BEM looks great and what is the forearm and butt sleeve, rosewood?

CMD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Love that Olney! That looks like the perfect wrapless from Jeff, the BEM looks great and what is the forearm and butt sleeve, rosewood?

It is Gaboon Ebony with brown streaks. Jeff told me EVERYBODY wants the all black stuff. I asked him if he had any with any character/brown streaks.

I LOVE this cue.

batalarms

Ebony Hoppe Fanatic
70's Joss West

Here is a 1970's Joss West (Bill Stroud) in mint condition.I bought it from the original owner.He had stored it under his bed for over 40 years.He told me that he paid $200.00 for it,so I offered him his money back.I got it for 2 hundred.It played great too,and was really fun to play with.Nice action on the cb.I was in the right place at the right time.

JW2.jpg

JuicyGirl

Scroll Lock- Juicy Style
Silver Member
Ricco free on parking lot at Circle K 1995

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
under 500:

-Ivory joint Coker bacote into ebony, beautiful cue
-Mike Montalvo holly and ebony with purple/white veneers
-TS sneaky, it was beat to hell, but straight
-Bill Hagan with a birdseye shaft, very early cue
-Myron Yoshigawa, again cosmetically not perfect, but solidly built
-Probably a few other unknown customs. It's neat when you find those for cheap, and most hit pretty decent!

Here are some pics.
montalvo_cue_2 (1).jpg

montalvo_cue_3 (1).jpg

P7111221.jpg

Last edited:

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Each of these cues was purchased new for <$500. 2012 Lee Peppers and 1985 Joss. The Joss price is from 1985, but still seems to be fairly included in this category. The Joss was a production model, but it was ordered with my specifications and took 3 months to deliver. It plays like a custom. Both cues play well enough to be keepers.

Attachments

• Sub500 cues.jpg
    Sub500 cues.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 692

poolguppy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob Thompson hasn't made cues for years, but I got a hold of him to see if he had any leftover, he had a good number still and I bought 4 from him so he gave me a large discount on the order, this one came out at 500 discounted, stag joint, rings, butt and ferrule, I love stag in cues

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my friend has a Gus Szamboti cue that his dad bought him for $300. he got it like 40 years ago or something like that. still though his dad paid less than $500,lol