Inaugural Side Pockets 14.1 League Final Standings

S

Scottster

Congratulations to Steve Boyd (SJB) on winning the championship match against Ryan Faherty, who entered the playoffs in 5th place and played well in the quarter and semi finals, narrowly winning against Bill Keeling ( by three balls), to advance to the championship match.

The top 5 finishers were:

1) Steve Boyd

2) Ryan Faherty

3) Bill Keeling

4) Gene Albright

5) Danny Harriman

I want to thank all the players who participated in the league for your patience and the time you took to play throughout this season. I hope everyone had a good time and will hopefully see you for the next season.

There are 10 more people who have displayed interest in joining the next season.

If anyone is in the Kansas City metro area, and would like to join a fun, competitive straight pool league give me a call at 816-729-2680.

The next season will start the last Monday of April.

sjb

evolving player
Silver Member
Gee, Scott...thanks for killing all my action.;) (and for not revealing my embarrassing handicap):eek:

And thanks to Danny for warming me up for the finals by putting a 100+ run on me while we practiced (including about 3 racks left-handed). At least I wasn't worn out from shooting.

Seriously though, this league is awesome, and I hope we can grow it. Not to take anything away from anyone else, but the opportunity to play and learn with players like Danny and Gene on a weekly basis is alone worth the price of admission.

Steve

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
sjb said:
Gee, Scott...thanks for killing all my action.;) (and for not revealing my embarrassing handicap):eek:

And thanks to Danny for warming me up for the finals by putting a 100+ run on me while we practiced (including about 3 racks left-handed). At least I wasn't worn out from shooting.

Seriously though, this league is awesome, and I hope we can grow it. Not to take anything away from anyone else, but the opportunity to play and learn with players like Danny and Gene on a weekly basis is alone worth the price of admission.

Steve

When I saw DH at 5, i figured there must be a handicap.

In our two straight pool leagues the most I have ever been hit with is a 61. It must be nice having players of that caliber to watch.

sjb

evolving player
Silver Member
dmgwalsh said:
It must be nice having players of that caliber to watch.

You got that right. It's even better, though. While Danny was breezing through the above-mentioned 100+ run, I got not only a running commentary on his planning and thinking process, but also some advice and suggestions during my rare trips to the table. Priceless.

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
sjb said:
You got that right. It's even better, though. While Danny was breezing through the above-mentioned 100+ run, I got not only a running commentary on his planning and thinking process, but also some advice and suggestions during my rare trips to the table. Priceless.

sjb,
Sounds like fun.

I remember when Danny was soliciting ideas for the league. What was finally decided about the league format and handicapping? Inquiring minds want to know.

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member
The league sounds like a blast! wish I lived near there , congrads to the winners and to all that participated.

S

Scottster

Williebetmore said:
sjb,
Sounds like fun.

I remember when Danny was soliciting ideas for the league. What was finally decided about the league format and handicapping? Inquiring minds want to know.

Each player shoots 12 innings of equal offense under the scrutiny of either myself or Danny to make sure there is no sandbagging. The worst 2 innings are dropped, and their score for 10 innings is added up. Their score is then transferred over to a handicap chart (Bob Jewett's)

After the initial handicap is set it will either increase 5 points, after the first 3 weeks, for a win, or decrease 5 points with a loss (for new players entering the league). Players who are starting their second season will have a +/- of three points per match after the first 3 weeks of the league.

The first 3 weeks will have a +/- of 10 points per match for new players, and +/- 5 points for players in 2nd season.

In the first season we had 10 matches that had final scores within 3 balls of winning and 5 more within 5 points of each other.

I am confident in our handicap system that it allows for a competitive match up regardless of a persons skill level. Everyone has a chance to win!