Two rules questions

akaTrigger

Hi!
Silver Member
Got my first table, an anniversary. :) Loving that I can play pool whenever I want to. I'm more excited than I ever thought I would be about having a table at home. :thumbup:

Anyway, been playing straight pool. Two situations have come up already; didn't know the rule.

Coming to the experts - you guys! :)

First situation: I accidentally pocketed the break ball when I made my key ball. So, all balls are now down. Please tell me it doesn't get racked in!

Second situation: I'm getting shape in the kitchen with my cueball. The last ball is in the rack so it gets spotted. However, I happened to mess up my leave and my cueball landed where the break ball should be spotted! Ugh, what is the rule there?

:embarrassed2:
Thank you.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... First situation: I accidentally pocketed the break ball when I made my key ball. So, all balls are now down. Please tell me it doesn't get racked in!

Second situation: I'm getting shape in the kitchen with my cueball. The last ball is in the rack so it gets spotted. However, I happened to mess up my leave and my cueball landed where the break ball should be spotted! Ugh, what is the rule there?

Thank you.
First situation, OK, I won't tell you, but eventually someone has to.
Second: Object ball goes on the center spot. Most tables don't have it marked. I don't think I've seen the center spot used more than twice. Sometimes the cue ball goes on the center spot.

mnhighrunlist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First situation....it happens sometimes but you get the full rack, all 15 balls.

Second situation...happens rarely, but the OB goes to center spot and CB stays where it is.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
First situation, OK, I won't tell you, but eventually someone has to.
Second: Object ball goes on the center spot. Most tables don't have it marked. I don't think I've seen the center spot used more than twice. Sometimes the cue ball goes on the center spot.

Yes, if the CB ends up in the rack area and the 15th ball occupies the head spot then the CB goes on the center spot.

PGHteacher

John Fischer
Silver Member
This is simple and readable but doesn’t cover everything.

Special Racking Situations
When the cue ball or fifteenth object ball interferes with racking fourteen balls for a new rack, the following special rules apply. A ball is considered to interfere with the rack if it is within or overlaps the outline of the rack. The referee will state when asked whether a ball interferes with the rack.
(a) If the fifteenth ball was pocketed on the shot that scored the fourteenth ball, all fifteen balls are re-racked.
(b) If both balls interfere, all fifteen balls are re-racked and the cue ball is in hand behind the head string.
(c) If only the object ball interferes, it is placed on the head spot or the center spot if the cue ball blocks the head spot.
(d) If only the cue ball interferes, then it is placed as follows: if the object ball is in front of or on the head string, the cue ball is in hand behind the head string; if the object ball is behind the head string, the cue ball is spotted on the head spot, or on the center spot if the head spot is blocked.
In any case, there is no restriction on which object ball the shooter may play as the first shot of the new rack.

I have found that this special racking situations chart to be more readable than

http://www.fgbradleys.com/rules/14.1ContinuousPool.pdf

This special racking situations chart

http://www.stuorg.iastate.edu/billiards/Docs/BCA14-1Rules.pdf

mnhighrunlist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is simple and readable but doesn’t cover everything.

Special Racking Situations
When the cue ball or fifteenth object ball interferes with racking fourteen balls for a new rack, the following special rules apply. A ball is considered to interfere with the rack if it is within or overlaps the outline of the rack. The referee will state when asked whether a ball interferes with the rack.
(a) If the fifteenth ball was pocketed on the shot that scored the fourteenth ball, all fifteen balls are re-racked.
(b) If both balls interfere, all fifteen balls are re-racked and the cue ball is in hand behind the head string.
(c) If only the object ball interferes, it is placed on the head spot or the center spot if the cue ball blocks the head spot.
(d) If only the cue ball interferes, then it is placed as follows: if the object ball is in front of or on the head string, the cue ball is in hand behind the head string; if the object ball is behind the head string, the cue ball is spotted on the head spot, or on the center spot if the head spot is blocked.
In any case, there is no restriction on which object ball the shooter may play as the first shot of the new rack.

I have found that this special racking situations chart to be more readable than

http://www.fgbradleys.com/rules/14.1ContinuousPool.pdf

This special racking situations chart

http://www.stuorg.iastate.edu/billiards/Docs/BCA14-1Rules.pdf

I believe both of these links take you to sets of rules that may be outdated. For the latest rules I believe this is the link: http://wpa-pool.com/web/the_rules_of_play

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Brunswick Anniversary

Super, super great table........ but,...... does it have a (ball return) ????
Doesn't matter.... Super table. Congrats. Happy for you!

That is what I play on when I go over to Roy Kinman's house.

PS: Photos......

akaTrigger

Hi!
Silver Member
Super, super great table........ but,...... does it have a (ball return) ????
Doesn't matter.... Super table. Congrats. Happy for you!

That is what I play on when I go over to Roy Kinman's house.

PS: Photos......

No, doesn't have a ball return. I will try and post photos later. The only ones I have are it being set up.

Thanks for the congrats! Miss seeing you!

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
No, doesn't have a ball return. I will try and post photos later. The only ones I have are it being set up.

Thanks for the congrats! Miss seeing you!

The table has found a very good home. I'm sure you will take good care of it, Trigger. After all you do have respect for your elders, right? ;)

Samiel

Sea Player
Silver Member
Congrats on the table! Hopefully there will be some videos and blog entries to come!

alinco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The rule that isn't so clear to me is when the last object ball is in the kitchen (not on the head spot) and you leave the cue ball in the racking area. So you spot the cue ball on the head spot right?

Now, can you legally shoot that last object ball that is in the kitchen?

Andy

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
The rule that isn't so clear to me is when the last object ball is in the kitchen (not on the head spot) and you leave the cue ball in the racking area. So you spot the cue ball on the head spot right?

Andy

Yes, you can. There is no restriction on what ball you can shoot at in this situation.

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Andy
Andy, I haven't seen you lately. I hope everything is well with you.

That point could definitely use some clarification in the rules.

Since you are restricted to putting the cue ball directly on the head spot, and not just behind the line, I'm going to guess that you can shoot at the ball in the kitchen. But I will quickly defer to some one with more knowledge about this rule.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Andy, I haven't seen you lately. I hope everything is well with you.

That point could definitely use some clarification in the rules.

Since you are restricted to putting the cue ball directly on the head spot, and not just behind the line, I'm going to guess that you can shoot at the ball in the kitchen. But I will quickly defer to some one with more knowledge about this rule.

Uh hmm (clearing throat voice), see post directly above yours. Yes, you can shoot at the object ball in the kitchen when the CB is in the rack area and placed on the head spot. As a matter of fact, it is not that unusual that you would play position to leave the CB in the rack area on purpose if the head spot is a decent place to be for the forthcoming shot.

But just to make it clear, from the WPA rules - 4.8 (d):

(d) If only the cue ball interferes, then it is placed as follows: if the object ball is in front of or on the head string, the cue ball is in hand behind the head string; if the object ball is behind the head string, the cue ball is spotted on the head spot, or on the center spot if the head spot is blocked. In any case, there is no restriction on which object ball the shooter may play as the first shot of the new rack.

Samiel

Sea Player
Silver Member
Also, the one rule that had me scratching my head at one point was... let's say there are two balls left and you scratch attempting to pocket one of them and miss the ball and both balls end up in the kitchen. Now you have ball-in-hand, but both balls are in the kitchen!

Apparently you spot the one closest to the head string or if both are the same distance from the head string, you can choose which ball to spot!

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Got my first table, an anniversary. :) Loving that I can play pool whenever I want to. I'm more excited than I ever thought I would be about having a table at home. :thumbup:

Anyway, been playing straight pool. Two situations have come up already; didn't know the rule.

Coming to the experts - you guys! :)

First situation: I accidentally pocketed the break ball when I made my key ball. So, all balls are now down. Please tell me it doesn't get racked in!

Thank you.

On your first situation and any other situation where you don't have a break shot there are still shots available depending on where the cue ball is. They are not high percentage shots but worth a try if you are practicing and trying to continue a run.

Below the rack, shoot the corner ball and try to bank it into the side pocket. Above the rack and off to the side, hit the corner ball and try to bank it up table into the corner pocket (risk of scratching), cue ball beside the rack, shoot the second ball and try to pocket the corner ball on the opposite side of the rack in the corner pocket.

There are probably more but those are common, and when you play 14.1 like I do they come up frequently.