Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page (LONG) How many pool players could survive
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old
  (#16)
CreeDo
Fargo Rating 597
CreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500
  Send a message via AIM to CreeDo  
04-22-2012, 09:23 AM

Snooker might have more scrutiny and stricter punishment, but it doesn't seem to stop the game from coming into a new scandal every so often, like the higgins match-fixing thing.

I dunno, everyone has some cure for how to make pool popular again. I don't think putting players in vests and banning a few is the answer. Formal attire works for snooker because it's england. What turns on english audiences won't necessarily do anything for americans. As for scandals, I'm not convinced they cause people to abandon a sport and decrease its popularity, if anything it draws their attention back to it.

Maybe pool is just boring to watch.
Snooker actually looks difficult to the guy in the chair so it's more entertaining.

Old
  (#17)
TheThaiger
Banned
TheThaiger has a reputation beyond reputeTheThaiger has a reputation beyond reputeTheThaiger has a reputation beyond reputeTheThaiger has a reputation beyond reputeTheThaiger has a reputation beyond reputeTheThaiger has a reputation beyond reputeTheThaiger has a reputation beyond reputeTheThaiger has a reputation beyond reputeTheThaiger has a reputation beyond reputeTheThaiger has a reputation beyond reputeTheThaiger has a reputation beyond repute

04-22-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreeDo View Post
Snooker might have more scrutiny and stricter punishment, but it doesn't seem to stop the game from coming into a new scandal every so often, like the higgins match-fixing thing.

I dunno, everyone has some cure for how to make pool popular again. I don't think putting players in vests and banning a few is the answer. Formal attire works for snooker because it's england. What turns on english audiences won't necessarily do anything for americans. As for scandals, I'm not convinced they cause people to abandon a sport and decrease its popularity, if anything it draws their attention back to it.

Snooker actually looks difficult to the guy in the chair so it's more entertaining.
We're the scruffiest nation on earth, so dress has nothing to do with its popularity over here. What snooker has is pure drama - Liang Vs Higgins last night was pure theatre.

It's CRIMINAL there's no drama in pool. It's fun to play, but terrible to watch.

All sports
Old
  (#18)
Wags
2 pocket-one pocket table
Wags has a reputation beyond reputeWags has a reputation beyond reputeWags has a reputation beyond reputeWags has a reputation beyond reputeWags has a reputation beyond reputeWags has a reputation beyond reputeWags has a reputation beyond reputeWags has a reputation beyond reputeWags has a reputation beyond reputeWags has a reputation beyond reputeWags has a reputation beyond repute

All sports - 04-22-2012, 11:02 AM

There are scandals in all organized sports to some degree. How it's handled is another story. Wouldn't it be nice if one promoter/organization would enforce the disciplinary actions of another promoter/organization. In other words, if CSI put someone on a 6 month ban, they would be banned from every event for that time period. Would the WPA uphold a CSI action? Would CSI uphold a WPA action? That might be a start for putting some integrity into the game. Might be interesting to do drug testing for performance enhancing drugs for the top 8 of any major tournament. Yep, get your check when the drug test is passed. Interesting and would be noticed. Unlike celebrities where any publicity is good, bad publicity for sports is just that.

Actually, every sport seems to have there own attire/uniform. Pool seems to be a collared shirt, dress pants and dress shoes. While I don't subscribe to that being a cure-all, it's a lot better than watching streams with players in holey jeans, shorts and T-shirts.

Not all pool is boring to watch. The Euro players seem to be quite adept at the short race, alternating break format (Mosconi Cup). I watched a match last night between Eric Durbin and Edwin Montal that had everything that was bad and good about pool in it. BTW, they were playing 8-ball on the Valley bar box. What was very noticed was the difference of etiquette between the American Durbin and the Canadian Montal. Hopefully Big Truck will put it up on his site so everyone can watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreeDo View Post

Jay

Lines I like to hear:

I put myself through college shooting pool.

I play in a pool league.

I'll play anyone in this bar for $100.

8-ball, what rules?
Old
  (#19)
Wags
2 pocket-one pocket table
Wags has a reputation beyond reputeWags has a reputation beyond reputeWags has a reputation beyond reputeWags has a reputation beyond reputeWags has a reputation beyond reputeWags has a reputation beyond reputeWags has a reputation beyond reputeWags has a reputation beyond reputeWags has a reputation beyond reputeWags has a reputation beyond reputeWags has a reputation beyond repute

8-ball, what rules? - 04-22-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangit View Post
...8-ball is the "poster child" of what are the rules here, anyway???? There are so many different rules for 8-ball, that is basically doesn't have any rules. You don't hear about "house rules" in Snooker...
Yes the WPA has done their due diligence by publishing rules for the World to adhere to. For the most part the rest of the world seems to follow them until we get to the league organizations in the United States. I was a bit dismayed when the BCAPL decided to refine some WPA rules for their league. I do wish they would have gone through the WPA for those changes. It has caused confusion for many players. Last night, on a steamed match, after a scratch on the break, the player took BIH anywhere. They were supposedly playing BCA rules. As it turned out, they were playing BCAPL rules. That would really piss me off if I didn't know that. The BCA (Billiard Congress of America) rules are the WPA rules. The BCAPL (BCA Players League) are based on the WPA rules but do have changes in them, such as BIH anywhere after the break (8-ball) and a few others. Understand, I'm not saying that the BCAPL rule changes are bad changes, in fact, they make sense. I am saying that they have added to the general confusion about what rules they are playing under. BTW, the ACS leagues do play under the WPA rules.

I wish all the league organizations would just adhere to the WPA rules and let it be. Rules don't change the essence of the game, just the strategy used to win the game. If APA and Valley would all use the WPA rules it would be a huge help in the standardization of rules everywhere. They can keep there formats and things that make them "special". I don't believe their rules make them special.

Jay

Lines I like to hear:

I put myself through college shooting pool.

I play in a pool league.

I'll play anyone in this bar for $100.

Last edited by Wags; 04-22-2012 at 11:25 AM. Reason: add info

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: