Old
  (#46)
BHQ
we'll miss you
BHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

04-25-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGSM3 View Post
sick fukr
now that's funny

Old
  (#47)
Michael Webb
AzB Silver Member
Michael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond repute

04-25-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wilson View Post
I truly am sorry that TW dislikes everyone here so much.

He could be a genuine hero if he wanted to. A shame.
It's never good when Dad gets involved.
Hi Dave
How you doin

Best Wishes
Michael Webb

Old
  (#48)
Mr. Wilson
Was
Mr. Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2700

04-25-2017, 11:47 AM

Not a great day when I let senior people go...ever.

"Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in."

-- Mark Twain

336Robin "This smells of a Prid Quo Pro"

Cutting ivory
Old
  (#49)
QMAKER
LIVE FREE OR DIE
QMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeQMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeQMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeQMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeQMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeQMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeQMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeQMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeQMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeQMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeQMAKER has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

Cutting ivory - 04-25-2017, 11:55 AM

If any of the other posters would care to offer me some advice about cutting the ivory-I am all ears.

I have cut ivory relatively easy with a:
"Laguna Resaw King Blade 3/4" x 115" (Compatible with 14|12 Bandsaw)
SKU: BBRK-34-115". This blade cuts as smooth as silk has carbide teeth that are ground perfect. Not cheap ($150) but they last a long time. I use beeswax on the teeth part only as you want to keep it off the tires. Ivory gets hot so you might want to use a mister with soluble water to minimize warping/cracking of the slabs.

************************************************** **********************************
"Do yourself a Favor and BUY a BREAK CUE from Bob Flynn
at DENALI" Samsarakid24

"Best breaker on the planet", Henchmen 3

" Denali made by Bob Flynn. The best $700 I ever spent on a cue", POCONO

Bob Flynn/Denali Pool Cues
[url]www.denalicues.com
denalicues@ca.rr.com
626-705-0340 cell/text

Old
  (#50)
pescadoman
Randy
pescadoman has a reputation beyond reputepescadoman has a reputation beyond reputepescadoman has a reputation beyond reputepescadoman has a reputation beyond reputepescadoman has a reputation beyond reputepescadoman has a reputation beyond reputepescadoman has a reputation beyond reputepescadoman has a reputation beyond reputepescadoman has a reputation beyond reputepescadoman has a reputation beyond reputepescadoman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

04-25-2017, 01:26 PM

I'm with Thomas... I just don't give a crap anymore

Randy

Last edited by pescadoman; 04-25-2017 at 04:50 PM.

Old
  (#51)
Hinekanman
AzB Silver Member
Hinekanman has a reputation beyond reputeHinekanman has a reputation beyond reputeHinekanman has a reputation beyond reputeHinekanman has a reputation beyond reputeHinekanman has a reputation beyond reputeHinekanman has a reputation beyond reputeHinekanman has a reputation beyond reputeHinekanman has a reputation beyond reputeHinekanman has a reputation beyond reputeHinekanman has a reputation beyond reputeHinekanman has a reputation beyond repute

04-25-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinobywilhite View Post
OK, I give. Next new post will be about superglue finish and maybe you guys will comment about how to slab ivory effectively. Sheesh!

Haha. Love it!

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Old
  (#52)
cueman
AzB Silver Member

cueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

04-26-2017, 10:24 AM

Here is another trick that you can use that keeps the tusk square. Sand a large flat on the bottom side of the tusk section then glue it down with epoxy to a 1/4" thick ply board. This works best after the tusk has been split down the middle. It will now glide through the band saw without fighting you to keep it square. This also works on those big blocks of stone slab. I used to farm out some sawing of those stone slabs to a counter top company owner and he taught me that trick. He could then cut from the top and almost hit the wood and and cut multiple slices then break them off. He also did another method and that was to put the block into a wood frame and fill it with mortar mix to give a big solid block to hold and saw.

This would work with Ivory if we poured some easy to cut plastic or hard foam material around it to make a plastic block with Ivory in the middle. The goal is to get it to stay square with the band saw fence without fighting you. I bet you guys can come with a number of ways to do it that have not already been mentioned.

Old
  (#53)
rhinobywilhite
AzB Silver Member
rhinobywilhite has a reputation beyond reputerhinobywilhite has a reputation beyond reputerhinobywilhite has a reputation beyond reputerhinobywilhite has a reputation beyond reputerhinobywilhite has a reputation beyond reputerhinobywilhite has a reputation beyond reputerhinobywilhite has a reputation beyond reputerhinobywilhite has a reputation beyond reputerhinobywilhite has a reputation beyond reputerhinobywilhite has a reputation beyond reputerhinobywilhite has a reputation beyond repute

04-26-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cueman View Post
Here is another trick that you can use that keeps the tusk square. Sand a large flat on the bottom side of the tusk section then glue it down with epoxy to a 1/4" thick ply board. This works best after the tusk has been split down the middle. It will now glide through the band saw without fighting you to keep it square. This also works on those big blocks of stone slab. I used to farm out some sawing of those stone slabs to a counter top company owner and he taught me that trick. He could then cut from the top and almost hit the wood and and cut multiple slices then break them off. He also did another method and that was to put the block into a wood frame and fill it with mortar mix to give a big solid block to hold and saw.

This would work with Ivory if we poured some easy to cut plastic or hard foam material around it to make a plastic block with Ivory in the middle. The goal is to get it to stay square with the band saw fence without fighting you. I bet you guys can come with a number of ways to do it that have not already been mentioned.
Thanks, those are some great suggestions.

Old
  (#54)
PoppaSaun
Banned
PoppaSaun has a reputation beyond reputePoppaSaun has a reputation beyond reputePoppaSaun has a reputation beyond reputePoppaSaun has a reputation beyond reputePoppaSaun has a reputation beyond reputePoppaSaun has a reputation beyond reputePoppaSaun has a reputation beyond reputePoppaSaun has a reputation beyond reputePoppaSaun has a reputation beyond reputePoppaSaun has a reputation beyond reputePoppaSaun has a reputation beyond repute

04-26-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
This would work with Ivory if we poured some easy to cut plastic or hard foam material around it to make a plastic block with Ivory in the middle.
Paraffin wax.

Old
  (#55)
cueman
AzB Silver Member

cueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

04-26-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppaSaun View Post
Paraffin wax.
I never thought about anything that soft but it would be reusable. That much heat might cause the tusk to crack.

Old
  (#56)
PoppaSaun
Banned
PoppaSaun has a reputation beyond reputePoppaSaun has a reputation beyond reputePoppaSaun has a reputation beyond reputePoppaSaun has a reputation beyond reputePoppaSaun has a reputation beyond reputePoppaSaun has a reputation beyond reputePoppaSaun has a reputation beyond reputePoppaSaun has a reputation beyond reputePoppaSaun has a reputation beyond reputePoppaSaun has a reputation beyond reputePoppaSaun has a reputation beyond repute

04-26-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
I never thought about anything that soft but it would be reusable. That much heat might cause the tusk to crack.
Commercially available paraffin is actually available in a range of melting temperatures, mostly 115-150deg F. It can also have additives to make it harder.

The plastics and thermoset foams would all need to be much hotter than that.

Old
  (#57)
KJ Cues
Pro Cue Builder & Repair
KJ Cues has a reputation beyond reputeKJ Cues has a reputation beyond reputeKJ Cues has a reputation beyond reputeKJ Cues has a reputation beyond reputeKJ Cues has a reputation beyond reputeKJ Cues has a reputation beyond reputeKJ Cues has a reputation beyond reputeKJ Cues has a reputation beyond reputeKJ Cues has a reputation beyond reputeKJ Cues has a reputation beyond reputeKJ Cues has a reputation beyond repute

04-27-2017, 05:34 PM

There was an unforgivable wrong committed in this thread that I truly feel needs to be righted.
When TW goes to firing-off insults at all those around him, we kind of expect that; that's how he operates.
For him to insult Bob Dzuricky by including him in one of his disparaging remarks about vids that help up
and coming CMs to learn and to see more of what it's about, particularly from a professional, is shameful.
Bob Dzuricky is a true asset to this industry. His contributions to the craft are priceless.
He shares freely and asks for nothing in return. Mr Dzuricky has my respect and he knows what 'class' is.
The selection committee of the Hall of Fame would do themselves well by giving this man due consideration.

KJ

Old
  (#58)
j2pac
Marital Slow Learner.

j2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond repute

04-27-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ Cues View Post
There was an unforgivable wrong committed in this thread that I truly feel needs to be righted.
When TW goes to firing-off insults at all those around him, we kind of expect that; that's how he operates.
For him to insult Bob Dzuricky by including him in one of his disparaging remarks about vids that help up
and coming CMs to learn and to see more of what it's about, particularly from a professional, is shameful.
Bob Dzuricky is a true asset to this industry. His contributions to the craft are priceless.
He shares freely and asks for nothing in return. Mr Dzuricky has my respect and he knows what 'class' is.
The selection committee of the Hall of Fame would do themselves well by giving this man due consideration.

KJ
KJ, I couldn't agree more. I won't pretend to know Mr. Waynes motives for including Bob's good name in that remark, only he does. I won't drag this dead horse through the mud any longer, but I will say that you are spot on with regards to DZ. He is pure class, and a HOF cuemaker NO doubt. His work is second to none IMHO.
Best regards.
Joe P

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire - "What you are shouts so loudly in my ears, I cannot hear what you say." - R.W. Emerson -

TOMAHAWK FERRULE MATERIAL - NO CLICK, JUST BANG.

Last edited by j2pac; 04-27-2017 at 06:05 PM.

Old
  (#59)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

04-27-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2pac View Post
KJ, I couldn't agree more. I won't pretend to know Mr. Waynes motives for including Bob's good name in that remark, only he does. I won't drag this dead horse through the mud any longer, but I will say that you are spot on with regards to DZ. He is pure class, and a HOF cuemaker NO doubt. His work is second to none IMHO.
Best regards.
Joe P
I have no dog in this fight but, something needs clearing.

TW did not drag Bob's name.
He was implying so many watch DZ's videos and already think they know a lot.

Speaking of Bob, he does not wrestle with pigs.
But, he did one occasion when someone claimed his joint screw run-out was some .0002" . That's right, 2 tenths.

Old
  (#60)
j2pac
Marital Slow Learner.

j2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond repute

04-27-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyInCali View Post
I have no dog in this fight but, something needs clearing.

TW did not drag Bob's name.
He was implying so many watch DZ's videos and already think they know a lot.

Speaking of Bob, he does not wrestle with pigs.
But, he did one occasion when someone claimed his joint screw run-out was some .0002" . That's right, 2 tenths.
As I said, I did not assume that TW was disparaging Bobs name, and my initial assumption of his comment/s intent, was along the line of what you posted here.
Only TW knows what his intentions were. I don't pretend to know, and will not speculate. It is a shame that this thread took such a U turn away from the OP's questions, IMO.
j2

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire - "What you are shouts so loudly in my ears, I cannot hear what you say." - R.W. Emerson -

TOMAHAWK FERRULE MATERIAL - NO CLICK, JUST BANG.

Last edited by j2pac; 04-27-2017 at 06:07 PM.

Page 4 of 5 « First 234 5

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: