Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Dream Challenge -Team USA v Team Russia (23-25 Sep2019) 9b/9ft. Winning team $15K
Page 6 of 7 « First 456 7

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#76)
Catalin
AzB Silver Member
Catalin has a reputation beyond reputeCatalin has a reputation beyond reputeCatalin has a reputation beyond reputeCatalin has a reputation beyond reputeCatalin has a reputation beyond reputeCatalin has a reputation beyond reputeCatalin has a reputation beyond reputeCatalin has a reputation beyond reputeCatalin has a reputation beyond reputeCatalin has a reputation beyond reputeCatalin has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

09-26-2019, 05:10 AM

I think JJ is quite arrogant and spends a lot of time talking about what he would do or what the players should do, which is not really commenting.

Michael did not speak much at all, mostly because he didn't get many chances from JJ.

What's-her-name does not belong in the booth.

I much prefer Freddie + George and upstate Al as commentators. Some of the players like Darren Appleton and Chris Melling were also impressive in the booth at other events.

Julian

Old
  (#77)
jokrswylde
AzB Silver Member
jokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond repute

09-26-2019, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalin View Post
I think JJ is quite arrogant and spends a lot of time talking about what he would do or what the players should do, which is not really commenting.

Michael did not speak much at all, mostly because he didn't get many chances from JJ.

I much prefer Freddie + George and upstate Al as commentators. Some of the players like Darren Appleton and Chris Melling were also impressive in the booth at other events.

Julian
I think JJ is good, But he seems to rarely agree with Michael on strategy and almost sounds condescending at times...

What's-her-name seems to be genuinely excited about pool and working her butt off to improve the game, I think it is a breath of fresh air to hear her get excited and be a "fan" in the booth.

Old
  (#78)
skogstokig
AzB Silver Member
skogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond repute

09-26-2019, 06:49 AM

Quote:

Julian
oh come on, really? where will you ever find such insightful commentary that you get from jeremy. hats off to george for stepping up but he is nowhere near the analysis that JJ brings.

but i guess it is in the end a matter of taste, as i have read many scornful comments about great pool (and snooker) commentators through the years

Old
  (#79)
Nostroke
AzB Silver Member

Nostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 10475
  Send a message via MSN to Nostroke  
09-26-2019, 06:52 AM

Quote:

Julian
I Liked 'what's her name's' enthusiasm in the booth and she hardly spoke at all so i cant see her bothering anyone. JJ talks too much but still way better than most imo.

Old
  (#80)
Catalin
AzB Silver Member
Catalin has a reputation beyond reputeCatalin has a reputation beyond reputeCatalin has a reputation beyond reputeCatalin has a reputation beyond reputeCatalin has a reputation beyond reputeCatalin has a reputation beyond reputeCatalin has a reputation beyond reputeCatalin has a reputation beyond reputeCatalin has a reputation beyond reputeCatalin has a reputation beyond reputeCatalin has a reputation beyond repute

09-26-2019, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokrswylde View Post

What's-her-name seems to be genuinely excited about pool and working her butt off to improve the game, I think it is a breath of fresh air to hear her get excited and be a "fan" in the booth.
Yes and no. They are event promoters and their business is to make money, not to evolve the sport. If those interests concide then it's good. But if they thought players insulting one another or changing the rules to something unrecognizable would bring more viewers, they might do it. She already announced they were reducing the shot time at the Mosconi this year. At which point that interferes with the quality of the game is debatable.

Julian

Old
  (#81)
sjm
Stu with the Ko brothers
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

09-26-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostroke View Post
I Liked 'what's her name's' enthusiasm in the booth and she hardly spoke at all so i cant see her bothering anyone. JJ talks too much but still way better than most imo.
Ditto. Emily Frazer is a breath of fresh air in our sport. Her enthusiasm for pool is obvious, and she's not too shy to show it, but she does know when to stay out of the way. Pool could do with a few more of her.

Last edited by sjm; 09-26-2019 at 01:34 PM.

Old
  (#82)
nodeflection
AzB Silver Member
nodeflection has a reputation beyond reputenodeflection has a reputation beyond reputenodeflection has a reputation beyond reputenodeflection has a reputation beyond reputenodeflection has a reputation beyond reputenodeflection has a reputation beyond reputenodeflection has a reputation beyond reputenodeflection has a reputation beyond reputenodeflection has a reputation beyond reputenodeflection has a reputation beyond reputenodeflection has a reputation beyond repute

09-26-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
I think JJ is good, But he seems to rarely agree with Michael on strategy and almost sounds condescending at times...
I agree with that JJ is condescending. At the end of the event Michael had enough of it and started getting his 2 cents in.

Old
  (#83)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

09-26-2019, 10:39 AM

Maybe I’m not sophisticated enough....
..I enjoyed the commentating.

And the people that disagree with JJ’s analysis.....
...must be awfully good players....

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#84)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

09-26-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodeflection View Post
I agree with that JJ is condescending. At the end of the event Michael had enough of it and started getting his 2 cents in.
I think the problem was that there were two technical analysts at the same time. It's better to pair a tech guy with a color guy. I thought Emily worked OK with occasional related comments and seemed to provide more of a fan's perspective.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#85)
jokrswylde
AzB Silver Member
jokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond repute

09-26-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt109 View Post
Maybe Iím not sophisticated enough....
..I enjoyed the commentating.

And the people that disagree with JJís analysis.....
...must be awfully good players....
Nah, it ain't about disagreeing with the analysis. I think the analysis is very informative and educational (for me at least). But, as my wife tells me all the time, it's not what you say, but HOW you say it...

You don't have to be an expert or pro to notice the fact that almost every time Michael recommended a play or a shot, JJ would come with his "Weeeellll, he shouldn't shoot it that way because_______" or " weeeellllll, you really wouldn't want to do it that way because________". It just sounded, to me, like how I sound when I am trying to teach my 10 year old something. Maybe this Michael guy is a beginner pool player?

Look, it's nit picking, sure, but JJ is not perfect. He is not above having his work analyzed and discussed, heaven knows he has a large majority of adoring fans. Regardless, I appreciate the heck out of anyone willing to "step in the box".

Old
  (#86)
Catalin
AzB Silver Member

09-26-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm View Post
Ditto. Emily Fraser is a breath of fresh air in our sport. Her enthusiasm for pool is obvious, and she's not too shy to show it, but she does know when to stay out of the way. Pool could do with a few more of her.
I think you guys may be biased because she is a woman If it was a guy in there who didn't know about pool and representing the "fan perspective" you would think he was a moron.

I also thought her open suport for the US team and certain players was disrespectful.

Julian

Last edited by Catalin; 09-26-2019 at 11:27 AM.

Old
  (#87)
Catalin
AzB Silver Member

09-26-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Nah, it ain't about disagreeing with the analysis. I think the analysis is very informative and educational (for me at least). But, as my wife tells me all the time, it's not what you say, but HOW you say it...

You don't have to be an expert or pro to notice the fact that almost every time Michael recommended a play or a shot, JJ would come with his "Weeeellll, he shouldn't shoot it that way because_______" or " weeeellllll, you really wouldn't want to do it that way because________". It just sounded, to me, like how I sound when I am trying to teach my 10 year old something. Maybe this Michael guy is a beginner pool player?

Look, it's nit picking, sure, but JJ is not perfect. He is not above having his work analyzed and discussed, heaven knows he has a large majority of adoring fans. Regardless, I appreciate the heck out of anyone willing to "step in the box".
Hopefully he's reading and taking notes

Julian

Old
  (#88)
JolietJames
Boot Party Coordinator
JolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond repute

09-26-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:

Julian
Wrong.:

Science flies men to the moon. Religion flies men into buildings.

Old
  (#89)
couldnthinkof01
AzB Silver Member
couldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond repute

09-26-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JolietJames View Post
Wrong.:
Wait, you dont think upstateAl > JJ
For shame

Old
  (#90)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

09-26-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by couldnthinkof01 View Post
Wait, you dont think upstateAl > JJ
For shame
Heís got a point....JJ doesnít pronounce Jaysonís family name correctly...

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Page 6 of 7 « First 456 7

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: