Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Schmidt video release November
Page 6 of 11 « First 456 78 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#76)
arnaldo
AzB Silver Member
arnaldo has a reputation beyond reputearnaldo has a reputation beyond reputearnaldo has a reputation beyond reputearnaldo has a reputation beyond reputearnaldo has a reputation beyond reputearnaldo has a reputation beyond reputearnaldo has a reputation beyond reputearnaldo has a reputation beyond reputearnaldo has a reputation beyond reputearnaldo has a reputation beyond reputearnaldo has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

10-21-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRJ View Post
. . . But this thread keeps on going and going, which is NOT a bad thing. Keeps it in the "news".. more and more folks on AZB have and will read this thread.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
One less reader (supposedly) of the 626-related threads and all other AZB threads:
John posted the following on his Facebook page about an hour ago:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Schmidt I will never ever look at or open azb again. It's keyboard haters hiding behind screen names. Screw that torture brother. They can buy Danny Harriman DVDs lol
Too bad, actually. There are numerous well-intended gems of good marketing suggestions for him within the various 626 threads. I do imagine that some of his friends and team members will continue to regularly screen the AZB threads and pass ideas on to him without source attribution (for easier acceptance by John)..

Arnaldo

“When the action starts, it may not go the way you planned, and you’re down to your reflexes. That’s where your roadwork shows . . . If you cheated on that in the dark of the morning, well, you’re gonna get found out now, under the bright lights.” – Joe “Smokin’ Joe” Frazier

Old
  (#77)
one stroke
AzB Silver Member
one stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond repute

10-21-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRJ View Post
But this thread keeps on going and going, which is NOT a bad thing. Keeps it in the "news".. more and more folks on AZB have and will read this thread.

Marketing 101: Always keep them wanting more. Chevy only waited 50 years to finally bring out a mid-engine Corvette. But, man, folks have been talking about it for.... yup, 50 years. Now it's here with the 2020 model.
Ya it keeps going and going because of a hand full of people, I think he overestimated the runs worth and he's now scrambling to make money off it ,
Why hasn't Predator stepped up to the plate with a big offer lock him up to do exhibitions at all the big events at thier booths , like APA did with Dr Cue and Venom trick shots
I have to believe they think thier marketing is so good / best in the business they don't need any help so it's simply not worth much to them , just like Corvette the product is so good it sells itself
You have to believe at this point anyone interested has done their homework on ROI possibly also
The constant is pro pool players are a group that think thier craft belongs with the likes of other sports and that never has been the case and never will be the case

Old
  (#78)
iusedtoberich
AzB Silver Member

iusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1470

10-21-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnaldo View Post
-------------------------------------------------------------------
One less reader (supposedly) of the 626-related threads and all other AZB threads:
John posted the following on his Facebook page about an hour ago:
John Schmidt I will never ever look at or open azb again. It's keyboard haters hiding behind screen names. Screw that torture brother. They can buy Danny Harriman DVDs lol
Too bad, actually. There are numerous well-intended gems of good marketing suggestions for him within the various 626 threads. I do imagine that some of his friends and team members will continue to regularly screen the AZB threads and pass ideas on to him without source attribution (for easier acceptance by John)..

Arnaldo
I was on FB for years before quitting. I've never seen anything remotely bad on AZ as compared to FB. Whatever the topic, people go insane on it. And, they are all using their real names and pictures. Does John really not have the same comments on his FB posts regarding the run as there are on here?

Old
  (#79)
wayne
AzB Silver Member
wayne has a reputation beyond reputewayne has a reputation beyond reputewayne has a reputation beyond reputewayne has a reputation beyond reputewayne has a reputation beyond reputewayne has a reputation beyond reputewayne has a reputation beyond reputewayne has a reputation beyond reputewayne has a reputation beyond reputewayne has a reputation beyond reputewayne has a reputation beyond repute

10-21-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iusedtoberich View Post
I was on FB for years before quitting. I've never seen anything remotely bad on AZ as compared to FB. Whatever the topic, people go insane on it. And, they are all using their real names and pictures. Does John really not have the same comments on his FB posts regarding the run as there are on here?
Just do a search for John Schmidt on Facebook and take a look at the comments. They are nothing like on here, probably 95% positive.
His first showing is probably going to be in Ventura, Ca. and after that he will have a good idea if his plan is a good one.
My personal guess is he will have a very good or great turnout and make a big chunk of money in Ventura. This will be followed by his cross country tour.

Old
  (#80)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

10-21-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne View Post
Just do a search for John Schmidt on Facebook and take a look at the comments. They are nothing like on here, probably 95% positive.
His first showing is probably going to be in Ventura, Ca. and after that he will have a good idea if his plan is a good one.
My personal guess is he will have a very good or great turnout and make a big chunk of money in Ventura. This will be followed by his cross country tour.
I have said that if all the posters on AZ were actually casting a vote for or against JS...
...JS would win by a landslide.
But I guess he wants universal acclaim...which nobody gets.

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#81)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member
jrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond repute

10-21-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
His approach actually makes sense to me.

Everyone has already stated he won't make much money here if he puts it on Youtube or sells DVDs. We know that. And selling the rights directly doesn't make him much either. Let's assume that he makes 10K either way. So what he has doesn't hold huge traditional market value.

So why sell? If you owned a car that you spent your entire life restoring and someone offered you next to nothing for it, wouldn't you rather just keep it? Well, John has spent his life in a quest to achieve a world record on camera. I don't blame him for not wanting to disperse it for pennies. I believe this is the same reason that Jay hasn't released Earl's 10 rack run for the million (which I would LOVE to see, Jay, PM me if I could ever do a 'private showing'!).

In the meantime, if he creates a tour from city to city and conducts 'tours' of his run in person, I see him filling up rooms. A chance to spend the afternoon with a US Open champion walking you through a record breaking straight pool run and doing Q&As? I'd support that. Not sure how big the groups would be, but if it was 10-20 people I'd chip in $1-200. I'd guarantee I'd learn something from that session and if I could have a good time, witness a record run, meet some friends, and pick up a few nuggets, for me that's worth taking a day off work.

Even if most people aren't interested that's fine with him. As long as he gets enough people in every city for him to tour the country and use this as a draw, why wouldn't he? Maybe he can't pull it off, but at least it's a good try.
It would fly in Huntsville, Alabama. I know at least 40ish people there that would love it.

Now, they may not pay $200 each but, I'm pretty sure they would do $75 each for an exhibition for a couple hours.

Also, I think John should capitalize on "giving lessons".

Right now he should be able to charge a premium.

Anyways, he wouldn't make a lot from any one room unless he was able to schedule a couple lessons at each. In that case, yeah, I think it would be very profitable.

We have to remember what the average pro player makes a year. Its not much and I'm pretty sure John doing exhibitions coupled with lessons would be more profitable that chasing "maybe" money from tournaments where you facing a room full of world beaters for the same small piece of the pie.

Jeff

I knew a fellow that thought he was a good boxer because he was in a position to befriend a lot of "professional boxers". It cost him azzwhippens till he realized he wasn't what he thought/wished he was.

Do you know anyone like the "wannabe" boxer in the pool world?

Old
  (#82)
iusedtoberich
AzB Silver Member

iusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1470

10-21-2019, 08:14 PM

I have two experiences with traveling exhibitions put on by top pros. Both in the Philly burbs.

The first was about 1997 at a room called Alpha Billiards. It was a new room, maybe open for a year. Business was good. Mostly filled on the weekends, 2 weekday tournaments that each drew about 32 consistent players. The owners hired Nick Varner to do an exhibition. They hired/invited a professional cameraman, advertised, etc. The gate was 20 a head to get in. There were maybe 15 people that paid, I was one of them.

The next was also in Philly suburbs, 15 minutes away from the first room, in maybe 2000. The room was Drexeline Billiards, owned by a pro btw. Business was about double the first room (super good, waiting list on the weekdays as well as the weekends). He hired Grady Mathews to do his exhibition. Free admission. Maybe 100 people showed up to watch him. I was one of them.

I don't know what other people's experiences are with paid and free pro exhibitions. Or how time and the general pool decline has changed it. The first room above closed up about 2010 or so. Business all dried up. The second room has about 1/3rd the business now as it did in 2000. And at least 5, maybe even 10 other Philly burbs rooms closed up due to business drying up in this time span.

Old
  (#83)
ShortBusRuss
Short Bus Russ - C Player
ShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond repute

10-21-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one stroke View Post
The constant is pro pool players are a group that think thier craft belongs with the likes of other sports and that never has been the case and never will be the case

Factually incorrect. Ralph Greenleaf used to be one of the highest paid entertainers in the world. Giving pool exhibitions on the Orpheum Circuit, he made the modern day equivalent of $34,000.00 a week. Even as his career flagged, he had the equivalent of a $100,000.00 a year income giving exhibitions at pool halls.

Old
  (#84)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member
jrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond repute

10-21-2019, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortBusRuss View Post
Factually incorrect. Ralph Greenleaf used to be one of the highest paid entertainers in the world. Giving pool exhibitions on the Orpheum Circuit, he made the modern day equivalent of $34,000.00 a week. Even as his career flagged, he had the equivalent of a $100,000.00 a year income giving exhibitions at pool halls.
True. But, out of how many people that were trying to make a living doing the same?

Consider ^^^^^^^^^^ and we are right back to pool players are IMO, some of.....if not the lowest paid professionals on the planet.

Jeff

I knew a fellow that thought he was a good boxer because he was in a position to befriend a lot of "professional boxers". It cost him azzwhippens till he realized he wasn't what he thought/wished he was.

Do you know anyone like the "wannabe" boxer in the pool world?

Old
  (#85)
pvc lou
AzB Silver Member
pvc lou has a reputation beyond reputepvc lou has a reputation beyond reputepvc lou has a reputation beyond reputepvc lou has a reputation beyond reputepvc lou has a reputation beyond reputepvc lou has a reputation beyond reputepvc lou has a reputation beyond reputepvc lou has a reputation beyond reputepvc lou has a reputation beyond reputepvc lou has a reputation beyond reputepvc lou has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1500

10-22-2019, 03:36 AM

Joe Rogan likes pool and lives in California. Maybe try selling him the rights and let him put it on YouTube. Maybe even go on his podcast. I think it would be worth a try.

Old
  (#86)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
10-22-2019, 04:29 AM

Quote:
He's living in a fantasy world if he thinks a tour is going to break even, much less make him money.

Old
  (#87)
JazzyJeff87
AzB Plutonium Member
JazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond repute

10-22-2019, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Balled View Post
He's living in a fantasy world if he thinks a tour is going to break even, much less make him money.
Yeah I’m pretty disappointed in Johan Schmidt. He straight pooled really well that day but since then he’s been making mental errors. Now the whole thing has skidmarked its way almost into a brick wall and I don’t even really care anymore I’ve just gotten used to having a thread about the run to soak up my attention when I needed a break from work or whatevs. Isn’t there some stigma about pro pool players always shooting themselves in the foot when opportunities arise?

Old
  (#88)
sjm
Stu with the Ko brothers
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

10-22-2019, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
His approach actually makes sense to me.

Everyone has already stated he won't make much money here if he puts it on Youtube or sells DVDs. We know that. And selling the rights directly doesn't make him much either. Let's assume that he makes 10K either way. So what he has doesn't hold huge traditional market value.
Most interesting post in the thread. The premise that the run as a video product isn't very marketable in the first place is a fresh new point of view, but to view this as the explanation for John's actions requires the assumption that John knew all along that the run would not sell.

Personally, I don't believe this, but if your theory is correct, John's spending half a year trying to make the best video possible with the best possible player commentary actually makes sense.

However it goes, I wish John well in the aftermath of his great achievement.

I just had to....
Old
  (#89)
jimmyg
Mook! What's a Mook?
jimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond repute

I just had to.... - 10-22-2019, 07:41 AM

Old
  (#90)
WoodyMPW
AzB Silver Member
WoodyMPW has a reputation beyond reputeWoodyMPW has a reputation beyond reputeWoodyMPW has a reputation beyond reputeWoodyMPW has a reputation beyond reputeWoodyMPW has a reputation beyond reputeWoodyMPW has a reputation beyond reputeWoodyMPW has a reputation beyond reputeWoodyMPW has a reputation beyond reputeWoodyMPW has a reputation beyond reputeWoodyMPW has a reputation beyond reputeWoodyMPW has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-22-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
This will be followed by his cross country tour.
Oh boy. Maybe he can team up with the Rubik's cube record holder. Tickets will be going through the roof on stub-hub.

Page 6 of 11 « First 456 78 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: