Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page 2 things that bug me in posts
Page 2 of 8 12 34 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old
  (#16)
measureman
AzB Silver Member
measureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1500

03-25-2012, 04:45 PM

hoked on phoonics woked for mi.
Mi speling is verry moore gooder theen it ussed too b.

Playing cue- The Mighty Lucasi Cocobolo
Back up cue - Troy Downey

I woke up.
Triangles tips and Masters chalk are good enough.

The Truth: If you have a stroke the gear don't matter... If you don't have a stroke the gear won't help.
The above quote by Softshot

Old
  (#17)
champ2107
Banned
champ2107 has a reputation beyond reputechamp2107 has a reputation beyond reputechamp2107 has a reputation beyond reputechamp2107 has a reputation beyond reputechamp2107 has a reputation beyond reputechamp2107 has a reputation beyond reputechamp2107 has a reputation beyond reputechamp2107 has a reputation beyond reputechamp2107 has a reputation beyond reputechamp2107 has a reputation beyond reputechamp2107 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

03-25-2012, 04:46 PM

op must hate me haha

Old
  (#18)
Blue Hog ridr
World Famous Fisherman.
Blue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

03-25-2012, 04:48 PM

You should strive to be very very very more gooder then.
Their is always room for improvement. Your getting better tho.

To play Pool, is to suffer.
To learn to be a better player, is to find some meaning in the suffering.

Dhurka, Dhurka, Allah, Muhammad Jihad

Old
  (#19)
TheCueHunter
I collect daughters
TheCueHunter has a reputation beyond reputeTheCueHunter has a reputation beyond reputeTheCueHunter has a reputation beyond reputeTheCueHunter has a reputation beyond reputeTheCueHunter has a reputation beyond reputeTheCueHunter has a reputation beyond reputeTheCueHunter has a reputation beyond reputeTheCueHunter has a reputation beyond reputeTheCueHunter has a reputation beyond reputeTheCueHunter has a reputation beyond reputeTheCueHunter has a reputation beyond repute

03-25-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
I have been a member of AZ forums for awhile. I have finally had enough. I have to write about it. I know this is kind of nitpicking so therefore I must be a nit but....

1) Please posters, use the correct terminology in your posts. There are two organizations that have the letters BCA in them.
  • The BCA stands for the Billiard Congress of America and is currently a trade organization and keeper of the Hall of Fame. They also are/was involved in the making of the World Pool Association rulebook of which are often referred to as the BCA rules. Those are the rules that they endorse. They have nothing to do with leagues, junior program or directly with pro pool. As I said, they are a trade organization.
  • The other BCA letters that many posters refer to is the BCAPL. This is the league organization under the umbrella of CSI (Cue Sports International) owned by Mark Griffin. The letters "BCA" do not represent anything in the name and the PL stands for Players League. They use basic WPA rules but have made some changes with the rules so in essence they are the BCAPL rules, nobody elses. This is also true of the VNEA (Valley National Eightball Association) and APA. They have their own rules and specifictions. The BCA rules are not the BCAPL rules. I understand when posters say they play BCA that they are referring to the BCAPL, but I feel that not everyone does. I would just ask that posters use the correct organization when posting to eliminate any confusion.
2) This is more of a grammar complaint. Too many posters have a well thought out post that sometimes gets diminished in my eyes becasue of the word effect and what should be the word affect. As a kid, I learned the "RAVEN" mnemonic for these two words: Remember: Affect = Verb, Effect = Noun. Hope this helps others!
  • Effect: something that is produced by an agency or cause; result; consequence:
  • Affect: to have an influence on or cause a change in
  • Please understand that I am not picking on anyone with these examples. I just wish they were grammatically correct. These are posts that drive me a little crazy. Just a few examples.
Does Table Size Effect Your Game? ... It should be; Does Table Size Affect Your Game. Yes..Table Size can affect your game. It can cause a change in your game. The consequence of table size is that you can miss more shots on a larger table than on a smaller table, which could be referred to as the table size effect.
" Tapper Roll"
Ok i see a lot of ppl saying this. "the cue has a little tapper roll" what the hell are you talking about???? If you roll a shaft and it wobbles, its warped.. the tapper of the shaft should not effect how it rolls in any way..
Once again the poster meant affect instead of effect. He is saying, Tapper roll will not affect how the shaft rolls. or The effect of tapper roll is nil.

Just a couple of examples about effect vs. affect. I agree that sometimes it is difficult to know which one to use. Please try anyway, your post will sound more knowledgeable, not only on this forum, but, also in life/business dealings. If I didn't explain it will enough, I am sure there are articles on it if googled.

Just my 2 cents. I've been a teacher too long and had to correct too many students of the usage.

wags
?????? I think you meant WELL enough.....

Visit http://www.thecuehunter.com/

Like me on Facebook.....www.facebook.com/thecuehunter

Follow me on Twitter @TheSlye1

Old
  (#20)
Maniac
2manyQ's
Maniac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond repute

03-25-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsTheSpot View Post
In the end it doesn't make a difference. Just because someone breezed through school and became a doctor doesn't mean anything to me by itself.
I've said it before and I'll say it again now: The guys that pick up your garbage twice a week are just as important as anyone else in the overall scheme of modern society. If you don't believe me, ask a New Yorker how it was to live in the city the time the garbagemen went on strike. Think about it, how would YOUR life be affected (God, I hope I used that word correctly ) if suddenly you no longer had garbage pickup at your house and burning inside the city limits was against the law?

Nobody's better than ANYONE else in this world. Nobody!!!

Maniac

Playing cues: 2 Larry Vigus 60" customs, Jacoby D11 w/314-2
Break/jump cues: Larry Vigus 60"dedicated break, Jerico Stinger, Jacoby jump cue
Cases: JB Ultimate Rugged 3x6, 2 Sterling Wave 4x8's, Sterling butterfly

"I try to think, but nothing happens!" Curly Howard

Old
  (#21)
FAST_N_LOOSE
<--THE AMAZING JESSE JANE
FAST_N_LOOSE has a reputation beyond reputeFAST_N_LOOSE has a reputation beyond reputeFAST_N_LOOSE has a reputation beyond reputeFAST_N_LOOSE has a reputation beyond reputeFAST_N_LOOSE has a reputation beyond reputeFAST_N_LOOSE has a reputation beyond reputeFAST_N_LOOSE has a reputation beyond reputeFAST_N_LOOSE has a reputation beyond reputeFAST_N_LOOSE has a reputation beyond reputeFAST_N_LOOSE has a reputation beyond reputeFAST_N_LOOSE has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

03-25-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leehayes View Post
I got some cheese!!!!

But while you're at it.....it's spelled TITLEIST....not titlist
Not in reference to the cues built by Brunswick. That is spelled without the "e".
Attached Images

WWW.DIRECTCONNECTIONAUDIO.COM

"IF YOU WANT TO MAKE SURE THAT A JOB IS DONE BADLY, PAY FOR EVERYTHING UP FRONT"

Old
  (#22)
JB Cases
www.jbcases.com
JB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5700
  Send a message via AIM to JB Cases Send a message via MSN to JB Cases Send a message via Yahoo to JB Cases Send a message via Skype™ to JB Cases 
03-25-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Hog ridr View Post
Really John. Personally (coma) I.

Don't you think that sounds more better.
Exactly my point....who has time to put commas where they should be and proofread when there are arguments to won?....on the internet someone is wrong......

Old
  (#23)
JB Cases
www.jbcases.com
JB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5700
  Send a message via AIM to JB Cases Send a message via MSN to JB Cases Send a message via Yahoo to JB Cases Send a message via Skype™ to JB Cases 
03-25-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
I got some cheese!!!!

It's both. I googled it a few months back and you find it spelled both ways in many different uses. It's not just a pool thing.

Titleist is the brand of golf ball while Titlist is the cue model. But the usage is the same for both spellings throughout sports.

Old
  (#24)
justnum
AzB Silver Member
justnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond repute

03-25-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsTheSpot View Post
Investors who were born with their money might be bothered by the poor spelling.

But I have a feeling that investors who earned their own money through life don't pay much attention to spelling when it comes to evaluating an individual.
You can have any feeling you want, just don't stalk me. You think a lot about what other people think.

Are you popular too ?

Old
  (#25)
AtLarge
AzB Gold Member
AtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond repute

03-25-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
I got some cheese!!!!

"Titleist" is a brand name for golf equipment made by the Acushnet Company.

A "titlist" is someone who holds a competitive title. The brand name "Titlist" was chosen about 70 years ago by Brunswick for a line of pool cues.

Old
  (#26)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member
Chopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond repute

03-25-2012, 05:08 PM

Oh Jeezus.

I can't tell you how many teachers I have had to correct. Come off the high horse. Teachers aren't actually all that educated and typically function at about average regarding the subject at hand in my experience.

And then JB has a bug in his eye.....ROTFLMFAO!

Quote:
You should strive to be very very very more gooder then.
Their is always room for improvement. Your getting better tho.
More better.

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"
Member of the world famous Lock Society

Cases I made: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=258632

Old
  (#27)
inside_english
AzB Silver Member
inside_english has a reputation beyond reputeinside_english has a reputation beyond reputeinside_english has a reputation beyond reputeinside_english has a reputation beyond reputeinside_english has a reputation beyond reputeinside_english has a reputation beyond reputeinside_english has a reputation beyond reputeinside_english has a reputation beyond reputeinside_english has a reputation beyond reputeinside_english has a reputation beyond reputeinside_english has a reputation beyond repute

03-25-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
I have been a member of AZ forums for awhile. I have finally had enough. I have to write about it. I know this is kind of nitpicking so therefore I must be a nit but....

1) Please posters, use the correct terminology in your posts. There are two organizations that have the letters BCA in them.
  • The BCA stands for the Billiard Congress of America and is currently a trade organization and keeper of the Hall of Fame. They also are/was involved in the making of the World Pool Association rulebook of which are often referred to as the BCA rules. Those are the rules that they endorse. They have nothing to do with leagues, junior program or directly with pro pool. As I said, they are a trade organization.
  • The other BCA letters that many posters refer to is the BCAPL. This is the league organization under the umbrella of CSI (Cue Sports International) owned by Mark Griffin. The letters "BCA" do not represent anything in the name and the PL stands for Players League. They use basic WPA rules but have made some changes with the rules so in essence they are the BCAPL rules, nobody elses. This is also true of the VNEA (Valley National Eightball Association) and APA. They have their own rules and specifictions. The BCA rules are not the BCAPL rules. I understand when posters say they play BCA that they are referring to the BCAPL, but I feel that not everyone does. I would just ask that posters use the correct organization when posting to eliminate any confusion.
2) This is more of a grammar complaint. Too many posters have a well thought out post that sometimes gets diminished in my eyes becasue of the word effect and what should be the word affect. As a kid, I learned the "RAVEN" mnemonic for these two words: Remember: Affect = Verb, Effect = Noun. Hope this helps others!
  • Effect: something that is produced by an agency or cause; result; consequence:
  • Please understand that I am not picking on anyone with these examples. I just wish they were grammatically correct. These are posts that drive me a little crazy. Just a few examples.
Does Table Size Effect Your Game? ... It should be; Does Table Size Affect Your Game. Yes..Table Size can affect your game. It can cause a change in your game. The consequence of table size is that you can miss more shots on a larger table than on a smaller table, which could be referred to as the table size effect.
" Tapper Roll"
Ok i see a lot of ppl saying this. "the cue has a little tapper roll" what the hell are you talking about???? If you roll a shaft and it wobbles, its warped.. the tapper of the shaft should not effect how it rolls in any way..
Once again the poster meant affect instead of effect. He is saying, Tapper roll will not affect how the shaft rolls. or The effect of tapper roll is nil.

Just a couple of examples about effect vs. affect. I agree that sometimes it is difficult to know which one to use. Please try anyway, your post will sound more knowledgeable, not only on this forum, but, also in life/business dealings. If I didn't explain it will enough, I am sure there are articles on it if googled.

Just my 2 cents. I've been a teacher too long and had to correct too many students of the usage.

wags
I really appreciate your post. I never knew there was a distinction between BCA and BCAPL...very helpful!

Incidentally, asking others to correct grammar and spelling will get you nowhere...

Old
  (#28)
macguy
AzB Silver Member
macguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond repute

03-25-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:

" Tapper Roll"

wags
One thing that bugs me are posts with cryptic titles. Then you open it out of curiosity to find out you were sucked in to looking at what is irrelevant B.S.

Old
  (#29)
dabarbr
AzB Silver Member
dabarbr has a reputation beyond reputedabarbr has a reputation beyond reputedabarbr has a reputation beyond reputedabarbr has a reputation beyond reputedabarbr has a reputation beyond reputedabarbr has a reputation beyond reputedabarbr has a reputation beyond reputedabarbr has a reputation beyond reputedabarbr has a reputation beyond reputedabarbr has a reputation beyond reputedabarbr has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 250

03-25-2012, 05:38 PM

Anyone caught miss speling here is banned for a couple of weeks. Oops! see you in a few days.

Old
  (#30)
blucollar
AzB Silver Member
blucollar has a reputation beyond reputeblucollar has a reputation beyond reputeblucollar has a reputation beyond reputeblucollar has a reputation beyond reputeblucollar has a reputation beyond reputeblucollar has a reputation beyond reputeblucollar has a reputation beyond reputeblucollar has a reputation beyond reputeblucollar has a reputation beyond reputeblucollar has a reputation beyond reputeblucollar has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 600

03-25-2012, 05:48 PM

Give the guy a break...you too would be pissed all the time if you had to live on a teachers salary

Page 2 of 8 12 34 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: