Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page What is “the better player”?
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Whoever gets the cash...........
Old
  (#16)
genomachino
AzB Silver Member
genomachino has a reputation beyond reputegenomachino has a reputation beyond reputegenomachino has a reputation beyond reputegenomachino has a reputation beyond reputegenomachino has a reputation beyond reputegenomachino has a reputation beyond reputegenomachino has a reputation beyond reputegenomachino has a reputation beyond reputegenomachino has a reputation beyond reputegenomachino has a reputation beyond reputegenomachino has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

Thumbs up Whoever gets the cash........... - 05-10-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
There seems to be a belief in the pool world that a long race will decide the better player. What criteria is used to decide what “better player” means?

Let’s try to break it down in no particular order of importance.
Shot-making
Position play
Safety play
Kicking ability
Breaking ability
Banking ability
Pattern play
Stamina
Mental Process
Stress/Anxiety

If these are the top 10 characteristics of “the better player”, they now need to be assigned a percentage of importance for your version of “better player”. The top will get 100 points and the bottom 10 points.

Please post your list by order of importance so I can track where you place the most importance. Please post it something like this, the most important on top, the least important on bottom. Here is mine.

Shot-making
Position play
Breaking ability
Pattern play
Safety play
Kicking ability
Banking ability
Mental Process
Handling Stress/Anxiety
Stamina

I’ll try to compile the results once a day so we can find out what AZ’ers believe is the better player. Please, no explanations needed. That can be done in separate threads if you want to voice opinions of importance. It will just be easier for me that way.

I'll compile in the next post down.

Thanks, have some fun with this.
Sometimes one player might be considered the better player but just can't seem to win. The better player is the one that can get the job done when it counts.

Includes every aspect of the game. no part of the game is more important than the other because if anything causes you to miss the games over usually.

pool is a package deal.............

Old
  (#17)
americanfighter
AzB Silver Member
americanfighter has a reputation beyond reputeamericanfighter has a reputation beyond reputeamericanfighter has a reputation beyond reputeamericanfighter has a reputation beyond reputeamericanfighter has a reputation beyond reputeamericanfighter has a reputation beyond reputeamericanfighter has a reputation beyond reputeamericanfighter has a reputation beyond reputeamericanfighter has a reputation beyond reputeamericanfighter has a reputation beyond reputeamericanfighter has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

05-10-2012, 12:51 PM

I really don't think you can make difinate ranking on those. The importance can greatly fluxuate depending on the circumstance. For instance position play and safety become much more important in a game like 9 ball. Also if you are in a high pressure situation (like the last game in the tournament) then I don't care how good your other areas are if you aren't mentally tough and cave under pressure you aren't going to win. The importance varies depending on the situation.

The "better player" player in my mind is someone who can balance those areas to a level necessary for the game they are playing and the opponet. But there are things that you don't really need like banking.

Old
  (#18)
Underclocked
.........Whut?.........
Underclocked has a reputation beyond reputeUnderclocked has a reputation beyond reputeUnderclocked has a reputation beyond reputeUnderclocked has a reputation beyond reputeUnderclocked has a reputation beyond reputeUnderclocked has a reputation beyond reputeUnderclocked has a reputation beyond reputeUnderclocked has a reputation beyond reputeUnderclocked has a reputation beyond reputeUnderclocked has a reputation beyond reputeUnderclocked has a reputation beyond repute

05-10-2012, 02:17 PM

and it would have to be someone that eats Snickers.

Old
  (#19)
cleary
Honestly, I'm a liar.
cleary has a reputation beyond reputecleary has a reputation beyond reputecleary has a reputation beyond reputecleary has a reputation beyond reputecleary has a reputation beyond reputecleary has a reputation beyond reputecleary has a reputation beyond reputecleary has a reputation beyond reputecleary has a reputation beyond reputecleary has a reputation beyond reputecleary has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 8500
  Send a message via AIM to cleary  
05-10-2012, 02:22 PM

The one that puts it all together better. Every player's game has gears. The better player will hit his high gear quicker and more often.

Better player
Old
  (#20)
poolplyr
Banned
poolplyr has a reputation beyond reputepoolplyr has a reputation beyond reputepoolplyr has a reputation beyond reputepoolplyr has a reputation beyond reputepoolplyr has a reputation beyond reputepoolplyr has a reputation beyond reputepoolplyr has a reputation beyond reputepoolplyr has a reputation beyond reputepoolplyr has a reputation beyond reputepoolplyr has a reputation beyond reputepoolplyr has a reputation beyond repute

Better player - 05-10-2012, 03:35 PM

Depends. If we are talking gambling it's a 3 part answer:
Heart
Money
Game

If you don't have all 3 you will never consistently make money gambling.

bump
Old
  (#21)
Wags
2 pocket-one pocket table
Wags has a reputation beyond reputeWags has a reputation beyond reputeWags has a reputation beyond reputeWags has a reputation beyond reputeWags has a reputation beyond reputeWags has a reputation beyond reputeWags has a reputation beyond reputeWags has a reputation beyond reputeWags has a reputation beyond reputeWags has a reputation beyond reputeWags has a reputation beyond repute

bump - 05-10-2012, 09:27 PM

update of stats bump

Jay

Lines I like to hear:

I put myself through college shooting pool.

I play in a pool league.

I'll play anyone in this bar for $100.

Old
  (#22)
sjm
Stu with the Ko brothers
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

05-10-2012, 09:35 PM

I couldn't agree less with the premise of this thread. A long race is not the true test. A short race, in which every shot is pressure filled, is a better test.

Let two guys play a race to five every day for twenty five days. The one who wins more sets is the better player.

To me, nothing defines a champion more than the ability to perform in late match pressure situations.

Old
  (#23)
erikido
AzB Silver Member
erikido has a reputation beyond reputeerikido has a reputation beyond reputeerikido has a reputation beyond reputeerikido has a reputation beyond reputeerikido has a reputation beyond reputeerikido has a reputation beyond reputeerikido has a reputation beyond reputeerikido has a reputation beyond reputeerikido has a reputation beyond reputeerikido has a reputation beyond reputeerikido has a reputation beyond repute

05-10-2012, 10:10 PM

from the put a number....but whoever says shotmaking can't be above 4 is just plain wrong. If u miss the shot u lose the game against a good player the majority of the time. U arent always shooting from ur position play. Sometimes u step to the table after ur opponent.

My opinion is u must have good patterns, q control(and in turn good safety play and kicking) and ability to handle pressure to be a good player. What separates the great from the good is a far superior consistency and or excelling at a specific aspect

Old
  (#24)
Apocalypse2017
Welcome to the resistance
Apocalypse2017 has a reputation beyond reputeApocalypse2017 has a reputation beyond reputeApocalypse2017 has a reputation beyond reputeApocalypse2017 has a reputation beyond reputeApocalypse2017 has a reputation beyond reputeApocalypse2017 has a reputation beyond reputeApocalypse2017 has a reputation beyond reputeApocalypse2017 has a reputation beyond reputeApocalypse2017 has a reputation beyond reputeApocalypse2017 has a reputation beyond reputeApocalypse2017 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 36200

05-11-2012, 05:28 AM

its seems right now with the elite pros that breaking is most important...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Balled View Post
No big money was ever won by quitting winner when the loser has more money and desire to play.

I would like to see JUMPING in the mix :-)
Old
  (#25)
ignomirello
Tony IGGY
ignomirello has a reputation beyond reputeignomirello has a reputation beyond reputeignomirello has a reputation beyond reputeignomirello has a reputation beyond reputeignomirello has a reputation beyond reputeignomirello has a reputation beyond reputeignomirello has a reputation beyond reputeignomirello has a reputation beyond reputeignomirello has a reputation beyond reputeignomirello has a reputation beyond reputeignomirello has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 800

I would like to see JUMPING in the mix :-) - 05-11-2012, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
There seems to be a belief in the pool world that a long race will decide the better player. What criteria is used to decide what “better player” means?

Let’s try to break it down in no particular order of importance.
Shot-making
Position play
Safety play
Kicking ability
Breaking ability
Banking ability
Pattern play
Stamina
Mental Process
Stress/Anxiety

If these are the top 10 characteristics of “the better player”, they now need to be assigned a percentage of importance for your version of “better player”. The top will get 100 points and the bottom 10 points.

Please post your list by order of importance so I can track where you place the most importance. Please post it something like this, the most important on top, the least important on bottom. Here is mine.

Shot-making
Position play
Breaking ability
Pattern play
Safety play
Kicking ability
Banking ability
Mental Process
Handling Stress/Anxiety
Stamina

I’ll try to compile the results once a day so we can find out what AZ’ers believe is the better player. Please, no explanations needed. That can be done in separate threads if you want to voice opinions of importance. It will just be easier for me that way.

I'll compile in the next post down.

Thanks, have some fun with this.
I would like to see JUMPING in the mix :-)

Shot-making
Safety play
Kicking / JUMPING ability
Position play
Mental Process
Banking ability
Handling Stress/Anxiety
Breaking ability
Stamina
Pattern play

Tony (Iggy) Ignomirello
Cue A - Josswest 92
Cue B - Paul F. Mottey 9/90
Break - BK2

I don't usually run over 4 balls but when I do watch out :-)

There is 3 types of people in this world.

1- People who make things happen

2- People who watch things happen

3- And people who say Hey What Happened

Old
  (#26)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
05-11-2012, 05:49 AM

I gotta agree with Geno...the 'better player' is the one who gets the cash, period.

As they say, the belt just hold up ya pants.

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: