Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Products Talk > Ask The Cuemaker
Reload this Page Purchased cue blank, how do I store it?
Page 3 of 3 123

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
louieatienza
AzB Silver Member
louieatienza has a reputation beyond reputelouieatienza has a reputation beyond reputelouieatienza has a reputation beyond reputelouieatienza has a reputation beyond reputelouieatienza has a reputation beyond reputelouieatienza has a reputation beyond reputelouieatienza has a reputation beyond reputelouieatienza has a reputation beyond reputelouieatienza has a reputation beyond reputelouieatienza has a reputation beyond reputelouieatienza has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

04-05-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Wayne View Post

Yup. With this thread I think I am finished ever offering advise to neophyte cuemakers. Having watched some DVD's and YouTube videos, they already know everything anyway.

TW
Well it's the reason guys like you are needed here! It would be a disservice to the rest of the community if one remark stops you from contributing here.

Old
  (#32)
Slim Limpy
AzB Silver Member
Slim Limpy has a reputation beyond reputeSlim Limpy has a reputation beyond reputeSlim Limpy has a reputation beyond reputeSlim Limpy has a reputation beyond reputeSlim Limpy has a reputation beyond reputeSlim Limpy has a reputation beyond reputeSlim Limpy has a reputation beyond reputeSlim Limpy has a reputation beyond reputeSlim Limpy has a reputation beyond reputeSlim Limpy has a reputation beyond reputeSlim Limpy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

04-05-2017, 10:24 PM

Last edited by Slim Limpy; 08-13-2017 at 04:08 PM.

Old
  (#33)
Type79
AzB Gold Member
Type79 has a reputation beyond reputeType79 has a reputation beyond reputeType79 has a reputation beyond reputeType79 has a reputation beyond reputeType79 has a reputation beyond reputeType79 has a reputation beyond reputeType79 has a reputation beyond reputeType79 has a reputation beyond reputeType79 has a reputation beyond reputeType79 has a reputation beyond reputeType79 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

04-06-2017, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim Limpy View Post
Oh, and remember, Type79, if forums were to be limited to being "among informed and experienced parties" only, this thread wouldn't exist. The OP, by asking a question, implicitly acknowledges his own lack of knowledge and insight regarding the subject matter, as do I. Nothing wrong with that.
That is neither what I said nor what I implied.

I said the question had been answered by two knowledgeable and experienced cuemakers. Had the subsequent posts that questioned their statements been detailed, they would have had some value, but they were not.

Jay Fishbein
On Facebook:
Palmer Cues - Original By Palmer
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1412351735677519/

Old
  (#34)
BarenbruggeCues
Unregistered User
BarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond repute

Location: Just past the big Saguaro on the eastern end of the Sonoran Desert right next to the mountain by the dry river bed.

04-06-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim Limpy View Post
Well, kinda keep in mind why this thread is interesting to me.

I do know how to refinish vintage furniture and I am familiar with creating and finishing simple basic household wood projects with hand tools--trim, simple display racks, shelving, etc. but certainly no pool cue assembly experience. However, I'll put my handmade acrylic and wood chalker's against anybody's.

So the need to prep my blanks in case I ever want to have one or two made into cues for myself or someone else never crossed my mind before. The treatment I give them is strictly to make them attractive for display purposes.

And if there is a better treatment I can give them to properly preserve them, then reading a thread like this is well worth my time and consideration.

For example: I live in southern Wisconsin, so if I want them to be as dry as possible for the cuemaker (if that is what is preferable), then maybe I might strip the one I am going to send off in spring and let it dry out through the dry cold winter months without any finish at all.

Without this thread, I would never have even given an idea like that a second thought.

So, anyway, I now will spend some time Googling and hitting the lumber and wood
craft sites to investigate the questions this thread has raised for me concerning the need to store blanks properly and prep them for future cue builds when I decide to do that.

So I will proceed by investigating the relationship of humidity to wood storage and read up on that since my woodworking doesn't normally require any aging or drying of raw wood.

I'll pass on the bickering. All I care about is that this thread has motivated me to learn more about storing and displaying my blanks, which if anyone hasn't figured out yet, is very important to me. So, in my opinion, overthinking the subject matter is better for me than underthinking it.

Oh, and remember, Type79, if forums were to be limited to being "among informed and experienced parties" only, this thread wouldn't exist. The OP, by asking a question, implicitly acknowledges his own lack of knowledge and insight regarding the subject matter, as do I. Nothing wrong with that.
I probably under explained myself by asking a simple one line question.

You said the blanks were 1-7 yrs old and still straight? Correct?
Sounds to me like your doing "something" right if that's the case.
Or maybe just lucky? But I don't think so based what you said you were doing with the blanks.
Don't over think it.

Old
  (#35)
Renegade_56
R56 Custom Cues
Renegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond repute

04-06-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Wayne View Post

I'm surprised you didn't realize "hanging" IS a stress-free storage technique.

TW

Who said I didn't realize that, I merely implied hanging isn't "the only" way to store it stress free.

Do you really need to be right so badly?

Renegade_56

If winning is so easy why aren't the losers doing it?

R56 Custom Cues on Facebook

Old
  (#36)
Ģśţāṿ
AzB Silver Member
Ģśţāṿ has a reputation beyond reputeĢśţāṿ has a reputation beyond reputeĢśţāṿ has a reputation beyond reputeĢśţāṿ has a reputation beyond reputeĢśţāṿ has a reputation beyond reputeĢśţāṿ has a reputation beyond reputeĢśţāṿ has a reputation beyond reputeĢśţāṿ has a reputation beyond reputeĢśţāṿ has a reputation beyond reputeĢśţāṿ has a reputation beyond reputeĢśţāṿ has a reputation beyond repute

04-06-2017, 07:37 PM

I greatly appreciate off of the responses but I certainly did not intend on any of "heated" discussions. To answer a few of the questions:

This is a full-splice (4 veneer) "blank", as some would call it, of nicely figured Bacote into a straight grain maple forearm.

The "blank" was built by Prather and I purchased it at SBE, as I mentioned. I am not sure how old it is, but I assume it's a fairly recent build. I do not know how long they store their wood for. I probably should inquire about this.

I am located just outside of Albany, NY and the cue is in a reasonably low humidity environment in my home.

I completely agree with the fact that the wood wants to settle in whichever way is most comfortable for it, but I do not know the best way to allow that to the happen - hence the thread....and yes I did a search for this topic prior to my post.

I currently have it stored upright with close to nil side-loading on it and I am rotating it's position every few days by a very small amount.

The butt is oversized for sure, but by how much??? I'm not sure, nor can I measure it until next week (currently away on business).

The cue maker I would have preferred to have build my "blank" into a beautiful cue is Jerry -R-. I love the solid feel of his cues and his taper is to my liking. Sadly I hear he is no longer taking orders, so I will have to look else where. I would like to have this built sometime before the end of the year, but I am in no rush.

I'm happy that I got this kind of response because I like to hear all different perspectives on the subject. Any more input is always appreciated.

Lastly - and I know this is all personal preference and feel - but which cue makers in your opinion build cues most similar to Jerry Rauenzahn?

Thanks all!

Last edited by Ģśţāṿ; 04-06-2017 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Words

Old
  (#37)
KJ Cues
Pro Cue Builder & Repair
KJ Cues has a reputation beyond reputeKJ Cues has a reputation beyond reputeKJ Cues has a reputation beyond reputeKJ Cues has a reputation beyond reputeKJ Cues has a reputation beyond reputeKJ Cues has a reputation beyond reputeKJ Cues has a reputation beyond reputeKJ Cues has a reputation beyond reputeKJ Cues has a reputation beyond reputeKJ Cues has a reputation beyond reputeKJ Cues has a reputation beyond repute

04-07-2017, 12:26 AM

You've made a fine choice.
Prather does excellent work and they have been for many years.
They were one of the first suppliers to me, almost 30 yrs ago.
They have built a reputation on doing quality work. Their wood is stable.
Their name, cues and cue-parts are well known throughout the industry.

I hang everything that I've cut, even from boards to insure that the wood sees uniform gravity.
Select your builder and send the blank to him when you're ready.
Have you considered allowing Prather to complete the blank for you ?
They can accommodate most any specifics you may have about the build.
Again, you've made a fine choice. Good Luck with your endeavor.

PS. Sorry that your thread got a bit heated.
Sometimes with CMs, it can be the nature of the beast.

Last edited by KJ Cues; 04-07-2017 at 05:06 AM. Reason: just making sure

Old
  (#38)
qbilder
slower than snails
qbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond repute

04-08-2017, 07:02 AM

IMO, there's nothing you can do to prevent movement, nor induce it. The blank can lie flat in the back of your closet or it can hang. Neither way will help or hurt. I'm also in the don't seal camp. Leave it be.

I don't check PM's, please email me instead: sugartreecue@gmail.com

Page 3 of 3 123

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: