dying blanks

tenballkiller

Registered
Hello. Has anyone ever tried dying blanks while stabilizing them at the same time? I tried dying some maple burl using blue mixed in with my stabilizing resin but it doesn't look like its going to turn out right. I have a very good vacuum setup and used more powder dye than was recommended. Thanks. Dan

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
From what I know, the pro guys dye it first, then stabilize it. Dyeing requires vacuum then pressure, as far as I know.
Dave

QMAKER

LIVE FREE OR DIE
Silver Member
Dyeing

The resin doesn't penetrate deep enough for a satisfactory dye job.
This is how I do it: Mix my dye with alcohol and vacuum chamber it. It will
penetrate as far as reasonably possible. Redye with different colors the same way. Then stabilize.

It's George

Bet Something!!!
Silver Member
The resin doesn't penetrate deep enough for a satisfactory dye job.

This is how I do it: Mix my dye with alcohol and vacuum chamber it. It will

penetrate as far as reasonably possible. Redye with different colors the same way. Then stabilize.

I thought you were out of all that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QMAKER

LIVE FREE OR DIE
Silver Member
Dyeing

Well, I still do it for my own use--once in awhile. It is kind of messy and I don't like the dust the resin creates when cleaning up the stabilized wood.

tenballkiller

Registered
Thanks for the advice. i cored the blanks and got them reasonably close to save on resin and to allow them to work from the outside in and the inside out hoping it would dye better. The resin worked really well just wanted to "boost" the dying aspect.