Reload this Page American adults just keep getting fatter
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
American adults just keep getting fatter
Old
  (#1)
Sev
I taut I saw a pussy cat!
Sev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Arrow American adults just keep getting fatter - 03-25-2018, 06:06 AM

Like cows being fattening up for the slaughter.

Could it be that parents are no longer equipped with the knowledge and skills to keep their children healthy early on so that they remain healthy later in life.

Just easier to scapegoat technology.

Proper nutrition, diet and exercise goes a long way to solving the majority of the problem.

American adults just keep getting fatter

BY MATT RICHTEL AND ANDREW JACOBS

New York Times News Service
March 24, 2018 09:30 AM

Updated March 24, 2018 11:23 AM

U.S. adults continue to put on the pounds. New data show that nearly 40 percent of them were obese in 2015 and 2016, a sharp increase from a decade earlier, federal health officials reported Friday.

The prevalence of severe obesity in U.S. adults is also rising, heightening their risks of developing heart disease, diabetes and various cancers. According to the latest data, published Friday in JAMA, 7.7 percent of U.S. adults were severely obese in the same period.

The data – gathered in a large-scale federal survey that is considered the gold standard for health data – measured trends in obesity from 2015 and 2016 back to 2007 and 2008, when 5.7 percent of U.S. adults were severely obese and 33.7 percent were obese. The survey counted people with a body mass index of 30 or more as obese, and those with a BMI of 40 or more as severely obese.

Public health experts said that they were alarmed by the continuing rise in obesity among adults and by the fact that efforts to educate people about the health risks of a poor diet do not seem to be working.

“Most people know that being overweight or obese is unhealthy, and if you eat too much that contributes to being overweight,” said Dr. James Krieger, clinical professor of medicine at the University of Washington and executive director of Healthy Food America, an advocacy group. “But just telling people there’s a problem doesn’t solve it.”

The latest data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey come at a time when the food industry is pushing back against stronger public health measures aimed at combating obesity.

In recent NAFTA negotiations, the Trump administration has proposed rules favored by major food companies that would limit the ability of the United States, Mexico and Canada to require prominent labels on packaged foods warning about the health risks of foods high in sugar and fat.

While the latest survey data do not explain why Americans continue to get heavier, nutritionists and other experts cite lifestyle, genetics and, most importantly, a poor diet as factors. U.S. fast-food sales rose 22.7 percent from 2012-2017, according to Euromonitor, while packaged-food sales rose 8.8 percent.

The latest survey data found that U.S. youth are faring somewhat better than adults. Among Americans ages 2 to 19, 18.5 percent were obese in the 2015 and 2016, while 5.6 percent were severely obese. (A severely obese youth is defined as being 120 percent above the 95th percentile of body mass index for age and gender.)

The study found that the percentage of youths who are obese and severely obese rose slightly from the 2007-2008 time frame, but not enough to be statistically significant.

Dr. Craig Hales, co-author of the survey research, said that the small increase in childhood obesity “could be due to sampling error,” and that the upshot was “no increasing or decreasing trends over the last 10 years.”

“Something different is happening with adults and youth,” he said, adding that he wasn’t able to explain the reasons.

One group of youths that has seen statistically significant weight gain are the youngest children, ages 2 to 5. Obesity rates in this group rose to 13.9 percent in 2015 and 2016 from 10.1 percent in 2007 and 2008.

Scholars who study childhood obesity disagree about whether childhood obesity has plateaued or is increasing.

“We haven’t turned the tide. If anything, rates are continuing to climb upwards,” said Dr. David Ludwig, a nutrition professor at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.

The 18.5 percent youth obesity rate in 2015-2016 marked an uptick following earlier years dating to 2007 and 2008 when it had held steady at about 17 percent.

Dr. William Dietz, director of the Stop Obesity Alliance at George Washington University, said that it is premature to reach any conclusions about the trend in childhood obesity.

“I’m worried about it for sure, but we need two more years of data,” he said. Still, he called the overall report “dismal,” given that the high rates of obesity mean high rates of disease and premature death.

Keep your head down and admire the shot.

COVFEFE!!

“Nothing in the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”---Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Yep. Sev is smarter than you all."
"I dont know much."
"I'm just a flea along for the ride."--366Robin

Revelations of truth undermine a foundation of belief built on lies.---Sev

Old
  (#2)
chefjeff
No sides, only players
chefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond repute

03-25-2018, 06:17 AM

Just wait until someone gets paid to only sit and consume.

Nature has NO NEED for such creatures, so they'll naturally go the way of all the other unneeded creatures of the past world: to extinction.

You want population reduction?.... vote for free stuff for everyone.

Jeff Livingston

Old
  (#3)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member
Chopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond repute

03-25-2018, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sev View Post

Proper nutrition, diet and exercise goes a long way to solving the majority of the problem.
Indeed. The only thing that would remain would be things like hypothyroid, Prader Willi syndrome, and other such pathologies. But even many of the pathologies with secondary obesity are best managed with lifestyle and we use that as first line thereapy, such as polycystic ovarian syndrome.

Of course, there is a great deal of BS about what "proper nutrition, diet, and exercise" are.

There is a lot said about the type and source of food, as in what you posted for example. Such a conversation dilutes one fact that cannot be avoided. The leading cause of obesity in children is not about the quality of the food, it is about the quantity of calories. That is not a mystery, that is known.

If your kid is obese you really do need some nutrition understanding to help fix that. But one fact needs to be emphasized first and emphasized throughout. You feed your kid too much.

This conversation is common at clinic. Parents first of all believe there is something wrong with the child such as "glands" or hormones. Although we will screen for such things to rule it out, it is simply less likely. Then they will often get on the internet and find all kind of BS about nutrition. They sometimes modify the kid's diet in ways that are detrimental based on what they read in the popularly available information. They tend to avoid one key fact...they feed their kid too much.

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"
Member of the world famous Lock Society

Cases I made: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=258632

Old
  (#4)
measureman
AzB Silver Member
measureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1500

03-25-2018, 08:16 AM

when i was in Marine Corps boot camp they had what was called the fat mans platoon.
this was during the Vietnam war so the standards were relaxed a bit.
the beast had to be fed.
the fat mans platoon was given a reduced meal 3 times a day with no seconds.
they also had increased physical training which was hard to imagine as I was in a regular platoon and it was brutal as is.
but those jumbos shed the fat pretty quick.

Playing cue- The Mighty Lucasi Cocobolo
Back up cue - Troy Downey

I woke up.
Triangles tips and Masters chalk are good enough.

The Truth: If you have a stroke the gear don't matter... If you don't have a stroke the gear won't help.
The above quote by Softshot

Old
  (#5)
RADAR
AzB Silver Member
RADAR has a reputation beyond reputeRADAR has a reputation beyond reputeRADAR has a reputation beyond reputeRADAR has a reputation beyond reputeRADAR has a reputation beyond reputeRADAR has a reputation beyond reputeRADAR has a reputation beyond reputeRADAR has a reputation beyond reputeRADAR has a reputation beyond reputeRADAR has a reputation beyond reputeRADAR has a reputation beyond repute

03-25-2018, 08:40 AM

Problem is nobody this day & age has a job involes work being physically active. All day long sitting down. No body in motion equalls stale blood then early death. 2nd food we eat is all poised as well preservatives & no gurantees if organic either. Its a tough road no matter how one looks at it.

Old
  (#6)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member
Chopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond repute

03-25-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by measureman View Post
when i was in Marine Corps boot camp they had what was called the fat mans platoon.
this was during the Vietnam war so the standards were relaxed a bit.
the beast had to be fed.
the fat mans platoon was given a reduced meal 3 times a day with no seconds.
they also had increased physical training which was hard to imagine as I was in a regular platoon and it was brutal as is.
but those jumbos shed the fat pretty quick.
Wow.

They shed the fat without Jenny Craig? Without HCG injections? Without an "all natural" miracle weight loss pill? LINK No Natriopath? No chiropractic nutritionist?

Let me get this straight. They just ate less and exercised more? And it resulted in weight loss?

Surely this is a legend that you have embellished.

Surely somebody was slipping them some "miracle, all natural, non-GMO, organic, anti-oxidant, healing" stuff.

This was at a time that they were following the "food pyramid" and "four food group" plan. Certainly this is a myth.

Surely the fat guys were treated with daily chiropractic manipulation and aroma therapy.

I am confident as well that the Drill Instructors NEVER "fat shamed" those recruits.

They were coddled, and loved, and attended daily yoga session and had group anti-oxidant enema sessions.

Most assuredly they were given their daily requirement of honey and marijuana of course.

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"

Old
  (#7)
asiasdad
Banned
asiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2425

03-25-2018, 09:09 AM

Fat people are easier to slaughter, butcher, and eat.

Coming to America as soon as you give up your guns.

Old
  (#8)
Jonbouy
AzB Silver Member
Jonbouy has a reputation beyond reputeJonbouy has a reputation beyond reputeJonbouy has a reputation beyond reputeJonbouy has a reputation beyond reputeJonbouy has a reputation beyond reputeJonbouy has a reputation beyond reputeJonbouy has a reputation beyond reputeJonbouy has a reputation beyond reputeJonbouy has a reputation beyond reputeJonbouy has a reputation beyond reputeJonbouy has a reputation beyond repute

03-25-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefjeff View Post
Just wait until someone gets paid to only sit and consume.

Nature has NO NEED for such creatures, so they'll naturally go the way of all the other unneeded creatures of the past world: to extinction.

You want population reduction?.... vote for free stuff for everyone.

Jeff Livingston
No need to wait because they're already here. Just check out the welfare and SSI population.

Cues: Cuetec CT692 R360
Cuetec CT723
Scorpion SC030
Valhalla VA702
Vector Caliber C50
Schmelke R040 Sneaky Pete
Fury
Break Cue: Schmelke Albino
Jump Cue: Never
Table: Punis 4x8 Custom Made With Guanacaste Wood
Simonis 860 Cloth

Old
  (#9)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member

03-25-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonbouy View Post
No need to wait because they're already here. Just check out the welfare and SSI population.
Worse than that, walk into a school board meeting, city council meeting....etc... I particularly like the last pic in this post. LOL! Yeah...Naturopaths.

Clearly food is medicine to these people. What they don't understand is dose.
https://www.fallbrookhealth.org/boar...ectors-9559f16

National Indian Health Board of Directors

Health Board quarterly meeting

Health association of Southern California

We got your Naturopaths right here too!
And apparently, these are their "high achievers".

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"

Old
  (#10)
TX Poolnut
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
TX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond repute

03-25-2018, 10:55 AM

I'm 48 years old and 5'11'. About 3 years ago, I weighed in at 252 pounds. Way overweight.
I started learning how to cook and experiment with food. In 6 months, I lost 55 pounds by just changing my diet without exercising. No more sodas and no more fast food.

Phase two, I joined a Brazilian jiu jitsu gym. 2 1/2 years later, I weigh a steady 165 and I'm the fittest I've been since I was 20.

The secret is that there is no secret. Diet and exercise. Calories in, calories out. Eat green stuff and cut back on processed meat and prepackaged food. Eating from the produce department is not more expensive than eating from boxes and bags. In fact, i save money in comparison. It's not something you do for ten days and everything is peachy. I've lost 90 pounds without pills, surgeries, or other interventions. I call it the common sense diet.

Old
  (#11)
ChicagoRJ
EEEEEXCELLENT ;)
ChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond repute

03-25-2018, 10:57 AM

This thread is making me hungry

RUSSIAN Magic Chalk - "The Best Chalk of the World"

TZAR Tips now available.

"I have been playing pool for 60 years and started using Kamui about four years ago. I tried Magic Chalk several months ago and will use it from now on" - jrhendy - Noted Player and Gambler

Baltic BLUE & Chernobyl GREEN

Check us out in "For Sale" section on AZB

ChicagoRJ, the Minister of Truth and Magic Chalk. - WGDave

Old
  (#12)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member

03-25-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Poolnut View Post
I'm 48 years old and 5'11'. About 3 years ago, I weighed in at 252 pounds. Way overweight.
I started learning how to cook and experiment with food. In 6 months, I lost 55 pounds by just changing my diet without exercising. No more sodas and no more fast food.

Phase two, I joined a Brazilian jiu jitsu gym. 2 1/2 years later, I weigh a steady 165 and I'm the fittest I've been since I was 20.

The secret is that there is no secret. Diet and exercise. Calories in, calories out. Eat green stuff and cut back on processed meat and prepackaged food. Eating from the produce department is not more expensive than eating from boxes and bags. In fact, i save money in comparison. It's not something you do for ten days and everything is peachy. I've lost 90 pounds without pills, surgeries, or other interventions. I call it the common sense diet.
Congratulations.

Plainly stated truth.

Quote:
It's not something you do for ten days and everything is peachy
And this is why it is called "lifestyle management".

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"

Old
  (#13)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member

03-25-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRJ View Post
This thread is making me hungry
Have some bacon.

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"

Old
  (#14)
Sev
Sev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond repute

03-25-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopdoc View Post
Indeed. The only thing that would remain would be things like hypothyroid, Prader Willi syndrome, and other such pathologies. But even many of the pathologies with secondary obesity are best managed with lifestyle and we use that as first line thereapy, such as polycystic ovarian syndrome.

Of course, there is a great deal of BS about what "proper nutrition, diet, and exercise" are.

There is a lot said about the type and source of food, as in what you posted for example. Such a conversation dilutes one fact that cannot be avoided. The leading cause of obesity in children is not about the quality of the food, it is about the quantity of calories. That is not a mystery, that is known.

If your kid is obese you really do need some nutrition understanding to help fix that. But one fact needs to be emphasized first and emphasized throughout. You feed your kid too much.

This conversation is common at clinic. Parents first of all believe there is something wrong with the child such as "glands" or hormones. Although we will screen for such things to rule it out, it is simply less likely. Then they will often get on the internet and find all kind of BS about nutrition. They sometimes modify the kid's diet in ways that are detrimental based on what they read in the popularly available information. They tend to avoid one key fact...they feed their kid too much.

Of course diet and nutrition wont solve all the problems.
Conditions created by faulty genetic structure are solved by breeding it out of the species. Or editing the genome.

I find meat, tubers, vegetables and nuts work just fine.

You know. The kind of stuff humans have been eating for 10's of thousands of years prior to all of the processing.

Of course you cant escape all the chemical pollutants and pharmaceuticals that are now in the environment.

COVFEFE!!

“Nothing in the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”---Martin Luther King, Jr.

"I dont know much."

Old
  (#15)
Sev

03-25-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopdoc View Post
Congratulations.

Plainly stated truth.

And this is why it is called "lifestyle management".
Lifestyle management should start when you are a child.
Of course that is difficult when parents at all educational levels tend to be pretty much ignorant.

COVFEFE!!

"I dont know much."

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: