Old
  (#1)
TheRanger
AzB Silver Member
TheRanger is on a distinguished road

vCash: 500

Best normal deflection shafts - 05-22-2019, 01:43 AM

Hi,

I'm looking for some info\suggestions on the best non low deflections shafts.

Any suggestions on a particular brand or cue maker I should be looking at?

Thanks.

Old
  (#2)
S.Vaskovskyi
AzB Silver Member
S.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond repute

05-22-2019, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRanger View Post
Hi,

Thanks.
That is quite a "quest" due to having no clue what diameter, taper, and other important characteristics you look for and I guess mission is impossible if you don't really know what you want from your shaft because there is not such a thing as the best shaft that fits all...

Playing cue: 62" full spliced player I''ve built for myself
Break cue: made by myself

"Live and learn...and have fun"

Old
  (#3)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member
jrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond repute

05-22-2019, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks.
Are you serious?

I wouldn't doubt that this thread goes multiple pages before the same cue gets mentioned twice.

May as well asked which flavor icecream is best.

You've been a member since 2014 but only have 64 post. I get it, some people don't have much spare time to be online but that's pretty low.

I'll bite though, just in case your not trolling:

I hit with a Kieth Josey (spelling??) cue and it felt, sounded extremely good to me.

The entire cue (butt and shaft) was made by Keith and the shaft was his "timeless timber" but, I'm sure the shaft alone on pretty much any "quality" cue butt would be fine.

Just for the record, I play with a very low deflection CF cue.

I knew a fellow that thought he was a good boxer because he was in a position to befriend a lot of "professional boxers". It cost him azzwhippens till he realized he wasn't what he thought/wished he was.

Do you know anyone like the "wannabe" boxer in the pool world?

Old
  (#4)
Kickin' Chicken
Kick Shot Afficionado
Kickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

05-22-2019, 02:10 AM

I would suggest having a look at Tiger non LD shafts I have found their shafts to be very high quality and I have played with one of their non LD models and enjoyed it

"Don't let your alligator mouth overload your jaybird ass!" - my Father

"That was stronger than cat piss, right there." - Brandon Shuff

Playing cues: Tim Scruggs - Jeff Olney
Break cue: Predator BK2 w/White Diamond Tip
Jump cue: Jacoby/Lomax

Last edited by Kickin' Chicken; 05-22-2019 at 02:12 AM.

Old
  (#5)
TheRanger
AzB Silver Member

05-22-2019, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrctherake View Post
Are you serious?

I wouldn't doubt that this thread goes multiple pages before the same cue gets mentioned twice.

May as well asked which flavor icecream is best.

You've been a member since 2014 but only have 64 post. I get it, some people don't have much spare time to be online but that's pretty low.

I'll bite though, just in case your not trolling:

I hit with a Kieth Josey (spelling??) cue and it felt, sounded extremely good to me.

The entire cue (butt and shaft) was made by Keith and the shaft was his "timeless timber" but, I'm sure the shaft alone on pretty much any "quality" cue butt would be fine.

Just for the record, I play with a very low deflection CF cue.
Why would I be trolling?

Thanks for your input. Just looking at options for new shaft. Don't want anything low deflection and looking around on the big name manufacturers sites it looks like finding anything normal deflection isn't easy.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Old
  (#6)
TheRanger
AzB Silver Member

05-22-2019, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickin' Chicken View Post
I would suggest having a look at Tiger non LD shafts I have found their shafts to be very high quality and I have played with one of their non LD shafts and enjoyed it
Great, thanks. I'll take a look at them now. Much appreciated.

Old
  (#7)
TheRanger
AzB Silver Member

05-22-2019, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Vaskovskyi View Post
That is quite a "quest" due to having no clue what diameter, taper, and other important characteristics you look for and I guess mission is impossible if you don't really know what you want from your shaft because there is not such a thing as the best shaft that fits all...
Not what I'm asking...

Old
  (#8)
S.Vaskovskyi
AzB Silver Member
S.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond repute

05-22-2019, 02:45 AM

You know what I guess if you ask such a question without mentioning any important properties you still don't know exactly what you like in a shaft when it comes to the stiffness, the hit.. harder or softer and so on. If that is the case it is much more helpful to focus on your game till you know what you want and really like in your cue. When I started to learn the game and ordered my first custom Prather plain jane cue back in 1999 I knew one thing for sure I need it extra long at least 60". So I got it exactly in length and weight I ordered with solid maple shaft. BTW I've ordered Prather cue not because it was the best and so on. It just happened so my teacher and coach Jorgen Sandman was a good friend of Dan Prather and being from Ukraine I had possibility to get a good cue for a good price from him. That's it I was passionate much more with the game itself and that's why after certain amount of time knew what I like more about the cue. Played with it thousands of hours, had a lot of fun, experience and some success at the tournaments. Than in five years I've ordered my second Prather ...more fancy one and I've already had some participation in designing that one asking Jeff Prather about this and that and so on. Got it with two shafts and was very happy about it. Those two shafts did not play exactly the same especially after me playing so many years with one, cleaning, getting rid of dings and so on so the taper went so far from the original so the performance changed too. So of course the second new shaft played differently but you will get used to any after so many hours and you and only is able to know if it feels good and works for you. Only practice time and experience make you to know exactly what feels really good in your hands so it is better to spend more time at the table. There are so many cue builders and production companies offering solid maple shafts. If you're not sure about diameter and taper just get one at least 13 mm with a stiffer taper because it is not that difficult to modify the taper later once you know exactly your preferences. Good luck.

Playing cue: 62" full spliced player I''ve built for myself
Break cue: made by myself

"Live and learn...and have fun"

Last edited by S.Vaskovskyi; 05-22-2019 at 02:58 AM.

Old
  (#9)
TheRanger
AzB Silver Member

05-22-2019, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Vaskovskyi View Post
You know what I guess if you ask such a question without mentioning any important properties you still don't know exactly what you like in a shaft when it comes to the stiffness, the hit.. harder or softer and so on. If that is the case it is much more helpful to focus on your game till you know what you want and really like in your cue. When I started to learn the game and ordered my first custom Prather plain jane cue back in 1999 I knew one thing for sure I need it extra long at least 60". So I got it exactly in length and weight I ordered with solid maple shaft. Played with it thousands of hours, had a lot of fun, experience and some success at the tournaments. Than in five years I've ordered my second Prather ...more fancy one and I've already had some participation in designing that one asking Jeff Prather about this and that and so on. Got it with two shafts and was very happy about it. Those two shafts did not play exactly the same especially after me playing so many years with one, cleaning, getting rid of dings and so on so the taper went so far from the original so the performance changed too. So of course the second new shaft played differently but you will get used to any after so many hours and you and only is able to know if it feels good and works for you. Only practice time and experience make you to know exactly what feels really good in your hands so it is better to spend more time at the table. There are so many cue builders and production companies offering solid maple shafts. If you're not sure about diameter and taper just get one at least 13 mm with a stiffer taper because it is not that difficult to modify the taper later once you know exactly your preferences. Good luck.
I appreciate what you're saying, but my game is ok... Just looking for advice on manufacturers that I can start looking in to as it's a minefield out there as you know

Old
  (#10)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member
jrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond repute

05-22-2019, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Why would I be trolling?

Thanks for your input. Just looking at options for new shaft. Don't want anything low deflection and looking around on the big name manufacturers sites it looks like finding anything normal deflection isn't easy.

If your looking more into production cues, pechauer cues are as close as you can get in quality to a true high-end-custom without actually buying a custom.

If I was gonna buy a production cue it would be a pechauer at this point.

Their pins are proprietary but their cues play phenomenal compared to any other production cue regardless of when it was made or what it cost.

BTW, if you call them, they are willing to do things that 99% of the other production cue companies aren't willing or able to do and for a reasonable price to boot.

Good luck.

I knew a fellow that thought he was a good boxer because he was in a position to befriend a lot of "professional boxers". It cost him azzwhippens till he realized he wasn't what he thought/wished he was.

Do you know anyone like the "wannabe" boxer in the pool world?

Old
  (#11)
TheRanger
AzB Silver Member

05-22-2019, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrctherake View Post
If your looking more into production cues, pechauer cues are as close as you can get in quality to a true high-end-custom without actually buying a custom.

If I was gonna buy a production cue it would be a pechauer at this point.

Their pins are proprietary but their cues play phenomenal compared to any other production cue regardless of when it was made or what it cost.

BTW, if you call them, they are willing to do things that 99% of the other production cue companies aren't willing or able to do and for a reasonable price to boot.

Good luck.
Great, thanks for the advice.

Old
  (#12)
Michael Andros
tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Michael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond repute

05-22-2019, 04:52 AM

Meucci. Though I don't know enough about shafts fitting other cue makers' pins to offer more than just the brand, so I've no idea whether a Meucci with work for you. I'll only say their shafts hit balls top-notch as far as I'm concerned.

Player: Ariel Carmeli Titlist Balaushka Tribute
Player: Sideways JossWest
Player: Dave Brainard Titlist - Rambow replica
Player: Tad model Tad-4-P
Player: Meucci QB-12
Player: Joss 10-08
Case: Fellini 1x2
Case: Katana 2x4

"Nobody in the world is going to do anything but sit and watch... while you run out."

~ Tony Proestos ~

"If they don't make you post, bet high!"

~ Fat Randy ~

"The secret to winning one pocket? Run more 8 and outs."

~ Ronnie Allen ~

Old
  (#13)
Cornerman
Cue Author...Sometimes
Cornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond repute

05-22-2019, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks.
My Tiger Ultra XD is a not-really low deflection, and they’re consistent from one shaft to another .. Its effective pivot point in application is about 9-10” on clean conditions. That’s a good 9-ball/10-ball bridge for me, so all pivot systems work during play.

I have three of them for different joints, so switching from the Schuler to the Tascarella isnt a big adjustment. Tiger builds a whole range of shafts with different squirt amounts.

Freddie <~~~ Tiger shafts, They’re Great!!!

--------

Name: Freddie Agnir
Shooting Cue: 2017 Tascarella (w/blokid extension) or Schuler SC-250
Breaking Cue: BK Rush

Playing time: just a hair above zero
--------

"I don't care if you win, just cover the spread!"

- Annie Potts (Memaw from Young Sheldon)

Old
  (#14)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

05-22-2019, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks.
Any good cuemaker can build you a quality maple shaft.

Old
  (#15)
336Robin
Dir Multiverse Earth Ops
336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute

05-22-2019, 05:25 AM

I like shafts below 13mm. More like 12.80 and maybe a little lower than that if
the shaft is still stiff enough to not vibrate a lot. I hear lake wood shafts or similar shafts
can be turned down and put to a pro taper without getting whippy. Friend of mine made
some and they hit really nice and were lower than normal deflection. I think he called them Keel wood.

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks.

"Let your "Stick" do the talking!"

336Robin
"Improve your shot making forever for $3.99!"

The Target Ball Concept-Aiming,
The Flight of the Cue Ball-Aiming Adjusted for Side Spin,
Robbing the Bank Shot!-Pass Over Banking
Change your game for a couple of Bucks! and
Comes with a lesson!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: