Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page The critics have been silenced...
Page 4 of 10 « First 234 56 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#46)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member
jrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

06-01-2019, 12:57 AM

Well, how about this:

My 156 run was done during a match with cash on the line.

Now, lol..... I have never been able to top that in practice.

Going by the "it was just practice"....etc...etc, I should be able to run ~200+ in practice since I ran 156 and three or four ~100 in actual match play.

The highest run I've ever put up during "practice" is 86....a few weeks ago.

Explain that Lucy?

I knew a fellow that thought he was a good boxer because he was in a position to befriend a lot of "professional boxers". It cost him azzwhippens till he realized he wasn't what he thought/wished he was.

Do you know anyone like the "wannabe" boxer in the pool world?

Old
  (#47)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member
jrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond repute

06-01-2019, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianEye View Post
None of it bugs me, either way.

I just don't call apples "oranges".

*astericks are made for such records.
I understand.

I've always knew that some on here were not what they claimed and could "never" back it up with video.

Just sayin.

I knew a fellow that thought he was a good boxer because he was in a position to befriend a lot of "professional boxers". It cost him azzwhippens till he realized he wasn't what he thought/wished he was.

Do you know anyone like the "wannabe" boxer in the pool world?

Old
  (#48)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute

06-01-2019, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrctherake View Post
Well, how about this:

My 156 run was done during a match with cash on the line.

Now, lol..... I have never been able to top that in practice.

Going by the "it was just practice"....etc...etc, I should be able to run ~200+ in practice since I ran 156 and three or four ~100 in actual match play.

The highest run I've ever put up during "practice" is 86....a few weeks ago.

Explain that Lucy?
I've ran more racks of 9-ball for money than I ever ran in practice.

In practice, you have nothing to lose but your concentration.

Old
  (#49)
rexus31
AzB Silver Member
rexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 542

06-01-2019, 02:38 AM

Man, we talkin' 'bout practice?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGDBR2L5kzI

"What 'aint no country I ever heard of. They speak English in What?" - Jules Winnfield

Old
  (#50)
4pointer
AzB Silver Member
4pointer has a reputation beyond repute4pointer has a reputation beyond repute4pointer has a reputation beyond repute4pointer has a reputation beyond repute4pointer has a reputation beyond repute4pointer has a reputation beyond repute4pointer has a reputation beyond repute4pointer has a reputation beyond repute4pointer has a reputation beyond repute4pointer has a reputation beyond repute4pointer has a reputation beyond repute

06-01-2019, 02:55 AM

to all the "big mouth" pool players here on az .
run 100+ infront of a camera , put it on youtube and give us the link .
maybe than we can see , that you know what you talking about , to critizise 626 !!!

Old
  (#51)
4pointer
AzB Silver Member
4pointer has a reputation beyond repute4pointer has a reputation beyond repute4pointer has a reputation beyond repute4pointer has a reputation beyond repute4pointer has a reputation beyond repute4pointer has a reputation beyond repute4pointer has a reputation beyond repute4pointer has a reputation beyond repute4pointer has a reputation beyond repute4pointer has a reputation beyond repute4pointer has a reputation beyond repute

06-01-2019, 03:01 AM

you can critizise my english , nothing else !

Probably the biggest differences . . .
Old
  (#52)
ShootingArts
Smorg is giving the 7!
ShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

Probably the biggest differences . . . - 06-01-2019, 07:02 AM

Quote:
I see nothing wrong with accepting John's 626 as a high run record.

However, I don't compare it to Mosconi's 526.

Two completely different environments and sets of circumstances.

Tables - different

Equipment - different

Atmosphere - different

Time spent attempting a high run - different (as far as anything I've ever heard)

Looking at each run, some of the following things come to my mind:

- What has been John's TOTAL number of hours spent trying to run more than 526 compared to Willie's (which is unknown, or if he even spent much time trying)

- How many times did John clean the table and balls during the run compared to Willie's

- How many distractions did John have to put up with vs Willie's

- How many breaks did John take and for how long vs Willie

- John switched ends on the table to rack and play on

- John was MOTIVATED...he had a record he wanted to break

- Willie may have not been as motivated. There was no high record for him to concentrate on beating.

With that said, each record is a significant feat that bears respect and each of the players have pocketed a hell of a lot more balls in 14.1 than many people can claim.

Probably the biggest equipment differences were the balls and the temperature/humidity in the room. Paraphrasing john's own words, who saw his run, a potted plant in the corner? Eight people claim to have watched john's run which I read took four hours. Did anyone really watch the entire four hours? It doesn't matter for the record, but the humidity created by even forty people or so around a table is a lot different than no crowd. Typical fifties climate control was a lot different too. This is a record set in front of the potted plant in the corner and a video camera that didn't get bored with john's hundreds of false starts.

Today's balls play considerably better than sixties balls, I have to assume better than fifties balls too. I have played with those old balls but they weren't new then. Of course there is john's obsession with cleaning the balls constantly.

In the end these things don't really matter. Equipment changes and the records are still allowed. Pole vaulters would be nowhere near the height they are now with an old wooden pole. john has a record that very few care about. Shattering most sports records would garner world wide attention. Shattering the straight pool record gets a world wide yawn from those that noticed.

Running out a few sets in a major competition would be far more attention grabbing. One should translate to the other such as Willie's dominance in his day. It won't though. Perhaps that is one reason for the lack of attention. john wasn't a great player before the record, he won't be a great player afterwards.

Hu

Pool players know EVERYTHING...didn't you know?
Old
  (#53)
Low500
AzB Silver Member
Low500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond repute

Thumbs down Pool players know EVERYTHING...didn't you know? - 06-01-2019, 07:23 AM

Naysayers and detractors are a pain in the ass....especially in this modern(?) era of know-it-alls about EVERYTHING.
Nobody made a peep about the track he ran on way back in 1954 when Roger Bannister broke the 4 minute mile, or the shoes he was wearing, or what kind of stopwatch was being used, or how many people signed an affidavit, or that the record was set in the UK instead of the USA "so it didn't really count", or that the sun was not at its meridian height that day, or this or that or this or that.
I was there when Hank Aaron broke Ruth's home run record and nobody whined about the bats being different from Ruth's era, or that it wasn't in Forbes Field where Ruth hit his last HR, or that Aaron was black and younger which gave him an "advantage"(?) or any of that other absurd crud.
But just leave it to a pack of pool playing know-it-alls to come up with all kinds of bull because their hero Mosconi's record got shot down.
My few experiences with Mosconi were pleasant and if he were alive today, I'd bet he'd be the first to walk up to Schmidt and say....."Ignore these fools, John, you broke my record and I congratulate you"
(then he'd probably get out his cue and try to set a new record himself)

"It is almost impossible to free simpletons from the chains they revere."

Old
  (#54)
Jzzman
AzB Bronze Member
Jzzman is on a distinguished road

06-01-2019, 11:05 AM

The King is dead. Long live the King!

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Old
  (#55)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute

06-01-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzzman View Post
The King is dead. Long live the King!

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums
Elvis died back in the 70s.

Are you just now getting the word?

Old
  (#56)
Michael Andros
tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Michael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond repute

06-01-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Elvis died back in the 70s.

Are you just now getting the word?
1977. August, I think... I remember hearing it on the radio in the room and proceeded to fire a straight-in case-9ball dead into the rail!

Cost me 200 and I never got over it.

I hate Elvis...

Player: Ariel Carmeli Titlist Balaushka Tribute
Player: Sideways JossWest
Player: Dave Brainard Titlist - Rambow replica
Player: Tad model Tad-4-P
Player: Meucci QB-12
Player: Joss 10-08
Case: Fellini 1x2
Case: Katana 2x4

"Nobody in the world is going to do anything but sit and watch... while you run out."

~ Tony Proestos ~

"If they don't make you post, bet high!"

~ Fat Randy ~

"The secret to winning one pocket? Run more 8 and outs."

~ Ronnie Allen ~

Old
  (#57)
JazzyJeff87
AzB Plutonium Member
JazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond repute

06-01-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Andros View Post
1977. August, I think... I remember hearing it on the radio in the room and proceeded to fire a straight-in case-9ball dead into the rail!

I hate Elvis...
Ah...the old “Elvis made me do it” mmhmm...I’m on to you.

Old
  (#58)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member

06-01-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Andros View Post

I hate Elvis...
August 16, 1977 to be exact.

I remember, exactly, where I was, too.

I was in the grocery line waiting to get to the register and get rung up.

Music was playing over their sound system from the radio. It was interrupted and they announced that Elvis had died.

I think the shock caused them to take longer than usual to bag me up.

Old
  (#59)
mvp
AzB Silver Member
mvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond repute

06-01-2019, 02:19 PM

What is the actual top 3 players holding down confirmed runs?????
1st John 626
2nd willie 526
3 ??????
4 ????

Not including johns multiple runs at it

Old
  (#60)
sjm
Stu with the Ko brothers
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

06-01-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp View Post
What is the actual top 3 players holding down confirmed runs?????
1st John 626
2nd willie 526
3 ??????
4 ????

Not including johns multiple runs at it
An a 9 x 4 1/2 foot table, the next highest witnessed run would be Thomas Engert's 491, which occurred between 2000-05.

Page 4 of 10 « First 234 56 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: