Old
  (#796)
one stroke
AzB Silver Member
one stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

09-26-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJeff87 View Post
Hu of the shooting arts. My 20% comment was one of flippancy.

Though I do think plenty of AZBers that wouldn’t have otherwise considered a purchase will now consider it just because of all the back and forth they’ve had to see about the whole thing.

It was like that with the “shock and awe” campaign that bush W was always going on about. I had no intention of staying inside to watch TV that day but after I had had to hear about it a thousand times in the days and weeks leading up to it I was like...might as well see wth they’re going on about. I ended up glad that I watched. There was some pretty serious bombing going on. Don’t know if 626 will be as exciting but I have a feeling plenty who say they’re not interested will actually get interested once it’s out.
It's not a new IPhone release your talking about it lol. ,

Old
  (#797)
AtLarge
AzB Gold Member
AtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond repute

09-26-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne View Post
... Here is the 434 ball run. He may have broken Mosconi's record on this attempt except for the weirdest scratch in the world to end his run at 434. Go to the 2hour 6 minute 30 second mark if you want to see the freakiest scratch to end a major run. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf9hRHdA0A8
Here are some stats on that 434, for anyone interested: https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=487230

Old
  (#798)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

09-26-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallShotCowboy View Post
Not. Even. Close. I think it maybe the forth largest newspaper here in the states. But we're in an error we're we can just make up facts so who really cares?

For the record: the largest is the Wall Street Journal, then USA Today, then the LA Times.... ...then NYT.

Can we please use the Google machine to double check before we just make up stuff?
At one time it had the largest circulation of any daily newspaper, more than the LA Times or Wall Street Journal. USA is not a daily paper, with no papers coming out on the weekend. Even if the NY Times is in fact "only" the fourth largest newspaper in the USA now, that is pretty significant in my book.

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order More Pool Wars

Old
  (#799)
logical
sarcasm while you wait
logical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

09-26-2019, 02:55 PM

The NYT is second only to USA today in terms of monthly unique website visitors so by any measure it's kind of a big deal. Now maybe one of the assistants to the assistant editors is in a bar box league or something and that's why it ended up there...who knows.

I have yet to see a frayed copy of the WSJ left in a pool hall.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Old
  (#800)
JazzyJeff87
AzB Plutonium Member

JazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond repute

09-26-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post

I have yet to see a frayed copy of the WSJ left in a pool hall.

That’s because pool folks resell the paper at 60% discount after reading it.

Old
  (#801)
logical
sarcasm while you wait
logical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

09-26-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJeff87 View Post
If they sell it, how are they going to stay warm out on the sidewalk at night? Winter is on it's way.

js626 Video
Old
  (#802)
xradarx
AzB Silver Member
xradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond repute

js626 Video - 09-26-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJeff87

I predict the same format for JS626 video. One person may buy it and then discount sell it to the next one, so forth and so on, bypassing JS. Selling it for less and less to each other until there are no buyers left. Amazing supporting pool players supporting pool players. Who woulda thunk it?

Old
  (#803)
one stroke
AzB Silver Member
one stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond repute

09-26-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xradarx View Post
Quote:

I predict the same format for JS626 video. One person may buy it and then discount sell it to the next one, so forth and so on, bypassing JS. Selling it for less and less to each other until there are no buyers left. Amazing supporting pool players supporting pool players. Who woulda thunk it?
I highly doubt that's what's going to happen Predator is the best marketing company in the business and his sponsor, so I see a creative marketing deal going on here with a slew of offerings tied to it , shirts , shafts , tips autographed stuff , a booth at shows and so on , he will prosper from this no guestion and can't fault him there even if I don't agree on some things about the run ,

Old
  (#804)
jimmyg
Mook! What's a Mook?
jimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond repute

09-26-2019, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one stroke View Post
I highly doubt that's what's going to happen Predator is the best marketing company in the business and his sponsor, so I see a creative marketing deal going on here with a slew of offerings tied to it , shirts , shafts , tips autographed stuff , a booth at shows and so on , he will prosper from this no guestion and can't fault him there even if I don't agree on some things about the run ,

Let's not forget that this is pool, not the NBA.

Old
  (#805)
DynoDan
AzB Silver Member
DynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond repute

09-26-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert View Post
Willie would insist on a clean table and inspect it prior to playing his exhibition. He really went over the table carefully before even starting his warm up. I watched him shoot balls off the rails to test them and up and down the table to check the roll. He was the consummate professional. He also kept a towel nearby and would wipe balls down between racks if he felt it necessary. I never saw him pick up and clean the cue ball during a run though. I'm sure he would have considered that a sacrilege.

P.S. You are correct. He played with the set of balls (including the cue ball) that he brought with him to each exhibition.
Something I hadn’t considered: Willie likely used his own set when he made that record run (?). Being the consummate “professional” he was, he would have developed a ball/polish system that hindered/slowed the detrimental play effects of extended use.
No need to overhit/bobble a shot if you think the skid-risk is low enough.

P.S. Am I imagining it, or do the unwashed balls in rooms with a ‘greasy spoon’ kitchen/grill actually get slipperier with play (customer handling)? I swear, the mud balls in one of the rooms where I learned to play would start out gooey (big-time throw), and eventually as the night wore on, you had to start under-cutting every shot!

Old
  (#806)
sjm
Stu with the Ko brothers
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

09-26-2019, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one stroke View Post

This is certainly what we're hoping for, as John deserves to be able to monetize his amazing accomplishment.

Old
  (#807)
one stroke
AzB Silver Member

09-27-2019, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyg View Post
Let's not forget that this is pool, not the NBA.
Yep pennies in comparison, but far more than he can make playing

Old
  (#808)
lfigueroa
AzB Silver Member
lfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond repute

09-27-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt109 View Post
A young Alex....about 21 years old...we were in a room in western NY....
....he played a 200 ball runner from NYC...to 150 for a couple hundred.
They agreed to quit at one apiece....the table and balls looked like they hadn’t been
cleaned for a month....NOBODY RAN THIRTY IN THOSE TWO GAMES.

If anybody wants to keep playing as everything gets dirtier...they don’t like the game enough.

A good polishing at the start of a game or day of a tournament should suffice.

At the DCC they clean the balls late at night/early morning. I'm sure the Accu-Stats table matches get a bit more attention but the field does not.

Lou Figueroa

Old
  (#809)
lfigueroa
AzB Silver Member
lfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond repute

09-27-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyg View Post
Do you know whether it was just the cue that was cleaned and polished, or was it the entire set? Or how often were they cleaned?

Some people are "purists" and if all the balls were polished before every break, that would be quite an advantage...balls spread more and tend not to cluster nearly as easily. Some may say a huge and unfair advantage.

I was fortunate enough to have grown up in NYC during the heyday of straight pool, loved the game and played it hours a day, every day, for years.
Watched one of the greats run his daily hundred many a time...and other than an occasional chalk smudge on the cue ball, cannot recall him, or anyone else, ever cleaning balls just for the purpose of helping the spread and increasing the run, nor would another 300 plus ball runner that I much later had the privilege of playing with regularly.

If this "record" was set with the continual use of a ball cleaner/polisher on the cue ball I would have to believe that the run can easily be considered tainted, if the entire set of balls was continually cleaned/polished, I cannot give it near the respect that some others seem to think it deserves. JMHO

Polishing them up is a *huge* advantage.

Just imagine some 10ball event where the guy breaking wanted the balls run through a ball polisher every time before his break.

Lou Figueroa
pop!

event photography
Old
  (#810)
ShootingArts
Smorg is giving the 7!
ShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

event photography - 09-27-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xradarx View Post
Quote:

Many years ago I did event photography. Put together a nice professional disk, titles, transitions, nice label, the whole ball of wax. About ten percent of the people in the event bought disks, about fifty to sixty percent ended up with copies of the disk. I barely made wages for my efforts. Worse now, most people that try to sell hard copies lose money. A singer/songwriter friend of mine has a room full of disks. Had his last disk made a little behind the transition!

Hu

Page 54 of 97 « First 444525354 555664 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: