Strange think in shaft
Old
  (#1)
Hinekanman
AzB Silver Member
Hinekanman has a reputation beyond reputeHinekanman has a reputation beyond reputeHinekanman has a reputation beyond reputeHinekanman has a reputation beyond reputeHinekanman has a reputation beyond reputeHinekanman has a reputation beyond reputeHinekanman has a reputation beyond reputeHinekanman has a reputation beyond reputeHinekanman has a reputation beyond reputeHinekanman has a reputation beyond reputeHinekanman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Strange think in shaft - 10-07-2019, 09:47 AM

I have a tink or click in the shaft when apply English. Changed the tip and that wasn’t it. Is a ferrule issue?

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Old
  (#2)
GBCues
Damn, still .002 TIR!
GBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-07-2019, 01:37 PM

Earlier this year, I was given a shaft that tinked. I replaced the tip and it no longer made that noise. Just a week or two later, I got another with the same symptom. I changed the tip and no change. So I ended up having to replace the ferrule and the tip and the customer is now happy.
Yes, I would replace the ferrule next.

Player - GBCues 18oz BEM Front, Leather Wrap, and Black Walnut Buttcap Player. OB-2 Shaft
BreakStick - GBCues 17oz Marblewood Front, Leather Wrap, Mahogany Butt Cap (Black Walnut Shaft)

Old
  (#3)
Mike81
AzB Silver Member
Mike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond repute

10-07-2019, 03:25 PM

Same here.... changed the ferrule, problem solved. I was cutting the old ferrule off and noticed it wasn’t completely seated against the shoulder.

Old
  (#4)
HoustonInt
Big John's Cue Repair
HoustonInt has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonInt has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonInt has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonInt has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonInt has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonInt has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonInt has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonInt has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonInt has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonInt has a reputation beyond reputeHoustonInt has a reputation beyond repute

10-07-2019, 05:34 PM

Also worth checking if your weight bolt is tight if your cue has one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old
  (#5)
Dave38
theemperorhasnoclotheson
Dave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-08-2019, 10:22 AM

It can be a variety of things, as mentioned above, tip, ferrule, weight bolt slightly loose, loose joint collar, even have had a full splice cue that I changed the tip + ferrule and that turned out to be the glue joint in the splice had an issue. What kind of shaft/cue is it? Give me a call sometime today and I can give you some pointers as to narrowing it down before you do any work.
Dave

Old
  (#6)
Tom1234
AzB Silver Member
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute

10-08-2019, 01:04 PM

From my experience, a cue will make a tink sound when the tip has gaps in the glue surface. Once the tip has been pressed against the ferrule, do not remove; just use the tip to spread the glue around without removing the tip from the ferrule. The ferrule can be a problem too. Some cheap ferrules can and will have gaps between the top of the tenon and the top of the ferrule. Any air gap can cause a click or tink sound. Hope you get this solved soon.

Old
  (#7)
EddieBme
AzB Silver Member
EddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond repute

10-27-2019, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave38 View Post
It can be a variety of things, as mentioned above, tip, ferrule, weight bolt slightly loose, loose joint collar, even have had a full splice cue that I changed the tip + ferrule and that turned out to be the glue joint in the splice had an issue. What kind of shaft/cue is it? Give me a call sometime today and I can give you some pointers as to narrowing it down before you do any work.
Dave
I've got a cue that has the clicking sound also. When I got the cue it had a LePro tip, so I changed it to an Elk Master and the sound stopped. After playing with it a few days I didn't like the soft hit, so I put a triangle tip, and now the sound is back. I tried tighten the weight bolt, and I even removed it, but it sounds the same. I'm not sure what it could be now. Any idea?

Eddie

Old
  (#8)
Tom1234
AzB Silver Member
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute

10-28-2019, 07:09 AM

Sounds like a tip problem since the Elkmaster tip didn’t make the click. As I mentioned above, make sure there is no air gap between the tip and ferrule. I have removed old tips preparing for the new tip when I have noticed the top of the ferrule looking like Swiss cheese. Glue coverage was spotty. Asked the customer if he noticed any strange sounds; guess what, a click sound. When a tip is properly prepared and installed, any click sound would be due to something else.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: