Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page How do I deal with cue with too forward balance?
Page 1 of 3 1 23

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
How do I deal with cue with too forward balance?
Old
  (#1)
timothysoong
★★★★★★★★★★★★
timothysoong has a reputation beyond reputetimothysoong has a reputation beyond reputetimothysoong has a reputation beyond reputetimothysoong has a reputation beyond reputetimothysoong has a reputation beyond reputetimothysoong has a reputation beyond reputetimothysoong has a reputation beyond reputetimothysoong has a reputation beyond reputetimothysoong has a reputation beyond reputetimothysoong has a reputation beyond reputetimothysoong has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

How do I deal with cue with too forward balance? - 11-01-2014, 07:59 AM

Hey there,

I recently had to play with a different cue because I sent my main cue for refinish. Cue imo, hits spectacular but I could barely play with it due to the dense shaft.

My main cue weighs about 19.2, with 19-19.5" balance point.

But this cue weights about 18.8-19.1oz with 21-21.5" balance point.

I'm just seeking for experts/pros, if anyone knows how to get used to the cue faster. Or where I should hold the cue to get good balance. Because I get tired easily playing this cue, cause balance is too forward, it feels pretty heavy.

I'm 5"6-5"7 tall.

Thanks
Tim

Timothy Soong
TS's Billiard Supply
ts.billiardsupply@gmail.com
------------------------------------------------------------
Player: Tim Scruggs
Break Cue: Mezz Power Break 1
Jump Cue: Predator Air Drive 2
Favorite tip: Thoroughbred Tips
My simple lathe setup: youtu.be/DCp7Ez-G4og

Old
  (#2)
3andstop
Focus
3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute

11-01-2014, 08:06 AM

I dont know what the correct fix would be, but how about backing out the weight bolt after measuring its depth from the end of the butt, then insert something light in that length, then reinstall the weight farther back.

"If ya knew what you didn't know, you wouldn't not know it." Danny DiLiberto.

neither pro or expert
Old
  (#3)
ShootingArts
Smorg is giving the 7!
ShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

neither pro or expert - 11-01-2014, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothysoong View Post
Hey there,

I recently had to play with a different cue because I sent my main cue for refinish. Cue imo, hits spectacular but I could barely play with it due to the dense shaft.

I'm just seeking for experts/pros, if anyone knows how to get used to the cue faster. Or where I should hold the cue to get good balance. Because I get tired easily playing this cue, cause balance is too forward, it feels pretty heavy.

I'm 5"6-5"7 tall.

Thanks
Tim
Neither a pro or expert but add a little weight under the bumper. The weight the furthest back will affect balance the most and you will probably mind the added weight less than the forward balance. Moving the bridge and grip slightly forward has the same effect but might seem odd too.

I play with a cue with a 21-21.5" balance point but since it is a sixty inch cue it feels quite normal.

hu

Old
  (#4)
timothysoong
★★★★★★★★★★★★
timothysoong has a reputation beyond reputetimothysoong has a reputation beyond reputetimothysoong has a reputation beyond reputetimothysoong has a reputation beyond reputetimothysoong has a reputation beyond reputetimothysoong has a reputation beyond reputetimothysoong has a reputation beyond reputetimothysoong has a reputation beyond reputetimothysoong has a reputation beyond reputetimothysoong has a reputation beyond reputetimothysoong has a reputation beyond repute

11-01-2014, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3andstop View Post
I dont know what the correct fix would be, but how about backing out the weight bolt after measuring its depth from the end of the butt, then insert something light in that length, then reinstall the weight farther back.
I was thinking the same, but the cue could not put a weight bolt in. Because it's a TAD cue. It has the serial carved under the butt.

Timothy Soong
TS's Billiard Supply

Old
  (#5)
It's George
Bet Something!!!

It's George has a reputation beyond reputeIt's George has a reputation beyond reputeIt's George has a reputation beyond reputeIt's George has a reputation beyond reputeIt's George has a reputation beyond reputeIt's George has a reputation beyond reputeIt's George has a reputation beyond reputeIt's George has a reputation beyond reputeIt's George has a reputation beyond reputeIt's George has a reputation beyond reputeIt's George has a reputation beyond repute

11-01-2014, 08:20 AM

Can't, or could not in this case doesn't exist. Take it to a qualified repairman or builder and he will fix you up.

Old
  (#6)
timothysoong
★★★★★★★★★★★★

11-01-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratshutr View Post
Can't, or could not in this case doesn't exist. Take it to a qualified repairman or builder and he will fix you up.

I know any qualified builder can do it. But I was thinking of not changing anything on the cue, as drilling from the butt will lose the value of the cue. I was asking is there a way to get used to the cue?

Timothy Soong
TS's Billiard Supply

Old
  (#7)
Jim Baxter
AzB Silver Member

Jim Baxter has a reputation beyond reputeJim Baxter has a reputation beyond reputeJim Baxter has a reputation beyond reputeJim Baxter has a reputation beyond reputeJim Baxter has a reputation beyond reputeJim Baxter has a reputation beyond reputeJim Baxter has a reputation beyond reputeJim Baxter has a reputation beyond reputeJim Baxter has a reputation beyond reputeJim Baxter has a reputation beyond reputeJim Baxter has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2700

11-01-2014, 08:45 AM

Practice , Practice and Practice .

Custom Joint Protectors for Sale

Contact info Ph. 253-226-0932 Never text me ................ Email jbaxte@earthlink.net

Old
  (#8)
nobcitypool
AzB Silver Member
nobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond repute

11-01-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
I know any qualified builder can do it. But I was thinking of not changing anything on the cue, as drilling from the butt will lose the value of the cue. I was asking is there a way to get used to the cue?
Play with it 4 hours per day for 6 months, you'll get used to it. There apparently is no magic formula for you. Where you place your hands is based upon your desired bridge length and having your forearm being vertical at address on your stroking arm. You wouldn't adjust that due to balance point. If that's what you want to do, shorten your bridge by half and move your backhand forward a few inches. That would certainly change the balance feel.

Playing Cue: Jensen with Revo 12.4 Shaft
Break Cue: OB Rift

Old
  (#9)
timothysoong
★★★★★★★★★★★★

11-01-2014, 08:53 AM

Thanks guys for the input. I was thinking practicing is the only way. Just wanna hear if anyone has something different to say, lol.

Timothy Soong
TS's Billiard Supply

Old
  (#10)
ENGLISH!
Banned
ENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond repute

11-01-2014, 08:57 AM

Like hu said add a little weight under the bumper. If that's not possible or easy do to & especially if this a temporary thing then you might want to just wrap a strip or more of lead tape around the butt cap. You can usually get it in the golf or tennis departments.

Good Lush with finding your solution,
Rick

Old
  (#11)
Kid Dynomite
Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Kid Dynomite has a reputation beyond reputeKid Dynomite has a reputation beyond reputeKid Dynomite has a reputation beyond reputeKid Dynomite has a reputation beyond reputeKid Dynomite has a reputation beyond reputeKid Dynomite has a reputation beyond reputeKid Dynomite has a reputation beyond reputeKid Dynomite has a reputation beyond reputeKid Dynomite has a reputation beyond reputeKid Dynomite has a reputation beyond reputeKid Dynomite has a reputation beyond repute

11-01-2014, 09:09 AM

first measure the diameter of the butt cap then have a ring made for your cue to be slightly smaller then the butt diameter. Slide the ring on that butt past the joint and down to the butt cap area the ring will add weight to move the balance point further back. Any cue maker can make the ring and put it on your cue just like sliding that wedding band on your wife's finger. it is a cheap temporary fix for your problem. Play with the size and number of rings until it is comfortable. this is just like adding weights to baseball bats is the best analogy I can make of this fix.

When you get your cue back I would begin looking for a back up cue as close to your favorite cue as possible.

Like a Samurai you are only as good as your weapon!
A.K.A. = Dennis (Michael) Wilson Jr.

Old
  (#12)
Bella Don't Cry
AzB Silver Member
Bella Don't Cry has a reputation beyond reputeBella Don't Cry has a reputation beyond reputeBella Don't Cry has a reputation beyond reputeBella Don't Cry has a reputation beyond reputeBella Don't Cry has a reputation beyond reputeBella Don't Cry has a reputation beyond reputeBella Don't Cry has a reputation beyond reputeBella Don't Cry has a reputation beyond reputeBella Don't Cry has a reputation beyond reputeBella Don't Cry has a reputation beyond reputeBella Don't Cry has a reputation beyond repute

11-01-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Hey there,

I'm 5"6-5"7 tall.

Thanks
Tim
DON'T GET USED TO IT!
Stop playing and wait until your regular cue comes back!
WHY?
By getting used to another cue and then again reverting back to your normal cue WILL do more harm than good to your game.

"Note to aspiring players: Nothing will energize your game more than getting a good ass whooping." JOHN - THE CHICKEN

Old
  (#13)
mikemosconi
AzB Silver Member
mikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond repute

11-01-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Thanks guys for the input. I was thinking practicing is the only way. Just wanna hear if anyone has something different to say, lol.
OK, I have a lot of experience adjusting cue weights and balance points, My best solution for adjusting the cue balance point further back on a cue with a stainless steel joint is to replace that joint with a non metal joint such as JUMA material. Also, you can have shafts cut down from 13MM to 12.5MM. the joint replacement makes the greater difference in balance point without changing the back weight bolt.

Old
  (#14)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
11-01-2014, 11:00 AM

How about some lead tape?

Old
  (#15)
mikemosconi
AzB Silver Member
mikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond repute

11-01-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Balled View Post
How about some lead tape?
Where, at the back of the cue where it is visible???

Page 1 of 3 1 23

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: