Loose Simonis

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Recently I have found that the cloth on my table is somewhat loose. Enough that I can create a small 'ripple' effect if I slide my finger in one direct on the table.

The weather in SoCal has been bizzare rotating between hot/dry, hot/humid, cold, hot, raining etc for the past few weeks.

Is it possible this is why the cloth is loose?

Will humidity loosen or shrink the cloth?

Will I need a mechanic to re stretch the cloth or is there something else I can do?

9' table, cloth stapled. Table in garage.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Recently I have found that the cloth on my table is somewhat loose. Enough that I can create a small 'ripple' effect if I slide my finger in one direct on the table.

The weather in SoCal has been bizzare rotating between hot/dry, hot/humid, cold, hot, raining etc for the past few weeks.

Will I need a mechanic to re stretch the cloth or is there something else I can do?

Head to foot, or side to side?

Crash

Pool Hall Owner
Silver Member
I'm not a mechanic ... but I can testify that humidity is the secondary culprit and just shows how good a recover was performed. With staples you shouldn't have had a problem if pulled tight enough.

I own all Valleys that use adhesive to hold the cloth. I've found that cloth installed when humid will tighten up when dry to the point of pulling improperly glued cloth loose. I'm experiencing that now and the man is making his 4th trip to fix my 7-foot tables in 7 months (Simonis 860 and 3M77 spray). Previously when Tour Edition was installed while dry, it loosened enough to cause folds to appear where pulled uneven (different man). I had to turn AC down to dry the air out and pull it tight enough to play on. I did my 8-footers using 3M10 and no problems. The current man used 3M10 on my 8-footers and no problems. I wish I could staple the bed cloth on Valleys.

Again ... I'm not a mechanic.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I'm not a mechanic ... but I can testify that humidity is the secondary culprit and just shows how good a recover was performed. With staples you shouldn't have had a problem if pulled tight enough.

I own all Valleys that use adhesive to hold the cloth. I've found that cloth installed when humid will tighten up when dry to the point of pulling improperly glued cloth loose. I'm experiencing that now and the man is making his 4th trip to fix my 7-foot tables in 7 months (Simonis 860 and 3M77 spray). Previously when Tour Edition was installed while dry, it loosened enough to cause folds to appear where pulled uneven (different man). I had to turn AC down to dry the air out and pull it tight enough to play on. I did my 8-footers using 3M10 and no problems. The current man used 3M10 on my 8-footers and no problems. I wish I could staple the bed cloth on Valleys.

Again ... I'm not a mechanic.

If I were to install the cloth on your tables, the only time it would come loose....is when it's being taken off....LOL

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Then the cloth was for sure installed loose to begin with, my bed cloths never loosen up unless you flat out get them wet.

"loose to begin with", are you saying it's been like this since installation? I can definitely refute that. It has been a recent development. I surely would have noticed if it was this way from the get go.

Or are you saying that it was installed improperly and has loosened.

It has definitely not gotten wet.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
"loose to begin with", are you saying it's been like this since installation? I can definitely refute that. It has been a recent development. I surely would have noticed if it was this way from the get go.

Or are you saying that it was installed improperly and has loosened.

It has definitely not gotten wet.

Loose as in not installed tight enough to begin with, as all cloth will loosen up just a bit from the initial install, but if it was installed correctly the first time, even relaxing just a bit would still not allow you to create any kind of wrinkles at all. Are you using any kind of spray cloth cleaner?

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Loose as in not installed tight enough to begin with, as all cloth will loosen up just a bit from the initial install, but if it was installed correctly the first time, even relaxing just a bit would still not allow you to create any kind of wrinkles at all. Are you using any kind of spray cloth cleaner?

No spray cloth cleaner. Out of curiosity, is that not recommended?

Does this mean I need to have the cloth re attached?

Crash

Pool Hall Owner
Silver Member
If I were to install the cloth on your tables, the only time it would come loose....is when it's being taken off....LOL

To my guys credit he is reworking all of my tables as I type ... using 3M10. I appreciate the fact that he tried something new to get them to play better. He gambled and sorta lost using spray but I don't fault him for trying.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
To my guys credit he is reworking all of my tables as I type ... using 3M10. I appreciate the fact that he tried something new to get them to play better. He gambled and sorta lost using spray but I don't fault him for trying.

Spray 77 is the old method, FB 10 is the method I pioneered 30 years ago because it never fails. Just make sure all the spray glue is cleaned off first, or the FB 10 will glue to the spray glue, then pull the spray glue off and come loose.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I too live in SoCal and have my table in the garage with 860 stapled. There has not be a change in the tension of the cloth whatsoever for over 2 years. I think you got hosed on your initial install. Who did the work?

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it not recommended to use spray cleaners on cloth, I've thought about it from time to time.

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I too live in SoCal and have my table in the garage with 860 stapled. There has not be a change in the tension of the cloth whatsoever for over 2 years. I think you got hosed on your initial install. Who did the work?

Thanks Rexus, interesting to hear your experience.

The table had an issue with the wax seeping up through the joints, the mechanic came back out and removed the cloth and scraped the excess wax off - and he did it no charge. The cloth was tight and played well for several months.

Only recently has it come loose. If it was loose right after he left it would be easy to say it was his mistake.

Anyway that's where I'm at. Looks like I either call him back out or someone else.

Thanks again.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Rexus, interesting to hear your experience.

The table had an issue with the wax seeping up through the joints, the mechanic came back out and removed the cloth and scraped the excess wax off - and he did it no charge. The cloth was tight and played well for several months.

Only recently has it come loose. If it was loose right after he left it would be easy to say it was his mistake.

Anyway that's where I'm at. Looks like I either call him back out or someone else.

Thanks again.

Who did you use? I would recommend Bondo over beeswax because of the issue you experienced. Where in SoCal are you located? Ernesto and Oscar set up my table initially and Steve Leistikow did the rail extensions and installed new rubber. Ernesto and Oscar are tough to get because they are in high demand and really only do home tables once in a great while. Steve is a great guy and a very good mechanic. I believe his handle on AZB is "tablemechanic".

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who did you use? I would recommend Bondo over beeswax because of the issue you experienced. Where in SoCal are you located? Ernesto and Oscar set up my table initially and Steve Leistikow did the rail extensions and installed new rubber. Ernesto and Oscar are tough to get because they are in high demand and really only do home tables once in a great while. Steve is a great guy and a very good mechanic. I believe his handle on AZB is "tablemechanic".

I don't want to mention the company I used for the work, because there really isn't a clear "blow it" by them. They installed my table, and fixed the issue I had with the wax without charge or complaint.

The new issue, I can't figure it, because as I said when they left last time the table was fine and stayed that way for months. So something has changed.

I'm going to get a few quotes.

oldroller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pioneered

Spray 77 is the old method, FB 10 is the method I pioneered 30 years ago because it never fails. Just make sure all the spray glue is cleaned off first, or the FB 10 will glue to the spray glue, then pull the spray glue off and come loose.

Do you work with the glue company?
just askin