Barry Behrman Passes

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
The thing that struck me about Barry was that he was a true showman. Besides the U.S. Open, perhaps he should be remembered as the P.T. Barnum of the pool world. Certainly he was a man of many talents who wasn't afraid to live life his own way. Best wishes to his family and business associates.

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
I am saddened to hear of Barry's passing. Certainly Mr. Behrman contributed extraordinarily to the game of pool over a course of decades. It takes a lot of hard work to keep an international event as big as his afloat for so many years, and he did it in the best (and only) way he could. With flair.

The sport lost a major contributor. I will keep his friends and loved ones in my thoughts and prayers.

RIP Barry.

Will Prout

vicki h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
rip barry

Condolences to Barrys family, Barry was a pioneer in the pool world, RIP Barry, Thank you for 40 yrs. of the Greatest 9 ball tournament in the U.S. Barry will always be known for the U. S. Open !!!!!

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Very sad to hear. To think of all the great champions from so many different eras who snapped off a US Open. Thanks for everything, Barry.

GoPlayPool

Search. Find. Play.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Barry B.

Our condolences go out to Mr. Barry Behrman's family and friends!
It was a pleasure knowing you throughout the years.
Thank you for all you have done for our Sport.
Rest in peace Barry and see you on the flip side.

Here is a news article and clip for the local station as well;
Watch the clip

:(

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
I had the oppty to talk some pool with Barry and Shannon at SBE 2012; it was very enjoyable.

Despite the many ups and downs there was no denying, he had true passion for our sport.

RIP Barry.

best,
brian kc

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Controversial as he was, in the final reckoning Barry was a great supporter of and advocate for pool in the United States and he'll be missed. Condolences to all who knew him.

jrackman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you Barry

for giving us pool fanatics the US Open 9-Ball. RIP Barry and condolences to your family & friends.

magicrat69210

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think he got a bad rap sometimes but I think he probably did his absolute best every year to produce a great US Open.....RIP and thank u for all ur hardwork and memories....i love watching old US open footage

Brian in VA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I certainly had my share of disagreements with Barry and how he did things; he was always willing to talk about them, too. Have to give him respect for that.

The fact remains that his passion for the game and his love of family overshadowed all of those and in the end, he'll be remembered for what he did for the game of pool. For that I thank him.

Heartfelt condolences to his family and his close friends as I'm sure all of you are grieving.

Brian in VA

alpine9430

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Condolences to the family.
Barry will be missed.
Looking forward to the next US Open.
Myron

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Condolences to the family.
Barry will be missed.
Looking forward to the next US Open.
Myron

The pool and billiards community has lost one of its most colorful and passionate promoters, Barry Behrman. I worked with Barry as a photographer, referee, and Assistant Tournament Director, and he always treated me with respect and generosity. I photographed Barry and Pat Fleming at last year's US Open Hall of Fame Banquet , where Barry received a special achievement award from the WPBA for his dedication to the sport and his 40 continuous years of promoting the US Open 9-Ball Championships. At this year's 41st US Open, I am pleased to be working with Pat Fleming and we will do our utmost to make this event successful and a tribute to Barry's memory. I wish to express my condolences to Brady, Shannon and the entire Behrman Family.

Attachments

• Barry Behrman and Pat Fleming 2015.jpg
    Barry Behrman and Pat Fleming 2015.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 434

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
My Thoughts

When another departs, and I know them....Only the happy thoughts surface for me. Went ta' two of his events in VA, the second one the WPBA gals, consolidated, took ahold of their destiny and got their tour going. They got their asses in gear and were on TV allot. I also remember Janette Lee sashaying around in her WHITE East Coast One piece mini skit....with that jet black hair and, well you know that story. Soon after that, she was with Bobby Hunter....ALSO, soon thereafter Allison Fisher arrived and the Black Widow appeared Not a coincidence eh .

Once the event ended, and if I'm correct, the after party was to honor the gals for playing along side the men for years, but it was time to move on:

A wonderful open bar cocktail party with the fancy east coast Shrimp appetizer setup Sunday night was perfect. It was players only. This touch gave us ALL a nice east coast feel of class and exuberance, where No other promoter even came close. Barry had Scott Smith running the event and he was also firing on all cylinders....you ALWAYS knew what table you played on, when you played, and the room atmosphere was ''electric'' especially since Scott the Shot was great at ''lets get ready to rumble'' and he too solidified he was the Greatest TD of all time.... and the new hippo chairs at the time were the nuts. I always felt my 2 finishes of 17-24 held merit and had meaning in my life. I know your resting, and you were ''one of us''....thx for the ride. This pool ain't for No woosies. RIP ma ma man, YOUR legacy will live on.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Well, we won't have Barry to Kick Around any longer. As SJM mentioned, as controversial as Barry was, once or twice a year, I think that everyone would agree that deep down, he always had the best interests of the Game at Heart.

RIP Barry and Sincere Condolences to his Family and Friends. He will be missed at the Open in the future. I hope that his Legacy can continue on in his Memory.

He likely has his Green jacket on and making plans for a Big One upstairs soon.