Here is a list of a couple I would like to see
play current champions

Getting big spots of course

Nick Varner,it seems like yesterday when I thought he was the best
pool player that ever lived

If anyone wants to give up some weight for big sets

Billy Stroud,if he is healthy and wants to play

The reason I like Billy is that I thought he was the best I ever saw
at winning.I hope he still plays and if he does and one of the greats wants to spot him a few balls and the break...you know the rest

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nick was in St. Louis this past weekend giving some kind of clinic in our pool room.

To me, Nick is one of the greatest of all time.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does he still play action matches?

To me he was the greatest of his generation,perhaps even more

I was playing Harry Platis and he offered to give me Jack Cooney for a partner,but Jack said no thank you

Everybody I had ever known was there,Ronnie,Buddy,etc,no one wanted to take me for a partner,Nick said I'll take him for a thousand my side of the bet,I said I will take $1000 on mine

Harry looked at Keith and dsaid"we need 8 to 6"

Now Nick was only getting to shoot every other turn with me weighing him down the other half

I figured this was like saying Nick played 4 balls better than Jack Cooney

I said no dice,Nick echoed my response in spades

To me Nick mighta been better than Eddie Taylor and Efren

So today I am still willing to bet on the old campaigner

With weight of course

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why is it that other than Jackpot and myself
no one seems to talk about Billy Stroud as a great player

I know he is older than me ,but I thought he was as good as anybody
when I was a kid

Maybe Wimpy,two Eddies,Red, were better and Mosconi was a different breed of cat altogether

But I bet my allowance on Billy many times and always won,he went into cue building and was tops in that field too.It wasn't till he quit that i realized how much he meant to the world of custom cues

Ernie was the first with so many classy designs,but Billy was impressive too,

George,Gus,Ernie and Billy in no particular order. I once played with an ebony merry widow of his for
years,I bought a George Balabushka Hoppe style and offered Bob mapes his choice of the two for $125,he took the ebony Stroud avairas

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is a list of a couple I would like to see
play current champions

Getting big spots of course

Nick Varner,it seems like yesterday when I thought he was the best
pool player that ever lived

If anyone wants to give up some weight for big sets

Billy Stroud,if he is healthy and wants to play

The reason I like Billy is that I thought he was the best I ever saw
at winning.I hope he still plays and if he does and one of the greats wants to spot him a few balls and the break...you know the rest
You mean stealing right? Get the nuts and then bet it up?

OLD NO 9

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Why is it that other than Jackpot and myself

Because most people, on this forum, don't realize Bill Stroud traveled the country back and forth busting great pool players before he became a great cue maker.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OTE=deanoc;6352921]Why is it that other than Jackpot and myself

Because most people, on this forum, don't realize Bill Stroud traveled the country back and forth busting great pool players before he became a great cue maker.

Or perhaps coz his legacy now includes his jerking around of the forum over the 'design your dream' cue contest buulshit.

OLD NO 9

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Or perhaps coz his legacy now includes his jerking around of the forum over the 'design your dream' cue contest buulshit.

It's really good of you to be this forums social consciousness. I'm sure you're perfect and some sort of mind reader. I'm sure you know what is going on in everyone else's life and mind. Get over it and yourself, you have no idea what is or was going on in Bill Stroud's life.

Last edited:

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is actually good of Black-Balled for being our social conscious. Thanks BB.

Now back to more stories about the greats.

OLD NO 9

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
It is actually good of Black-Balled for being our social conscious. Thanks BB.

Now back to more stories about the greats.

Black-Balled can be your daddy if you want, he's not mine. I'll be my own social consciousness.

Last edited:

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bily had cancer that thr doctor told him would be the end in 3 months
turns out a new medical treatment has kept Billy alive

He gave away his equipment to jake Hulsey who plans to make a cue for the guy who won the design contest

no one has put up a cent or is losing , I think I offered to buy the future cue but I forget what happened

why not let this old thing die

I know jake is not making cues now either,but he might make a comeback

Last edited:

raistlinsdragon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

He gave away his equipment to jake Hulsey who plans to make a cue for the guy who won the design contest

no one has put up a cent or is losing , I think I offered to buy the future cue but I forget what happened

I know jake is not making cues now either,but he might make a comeback

Jake was at the derby this year.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
It's really not that hard Deanoc.

Figure out the player you want to be on, email them asking if you can set up a match for them.
Post a thread saying anyone want to play (insert name) whatever game.

wait for the replies.

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am glad to hear Bill is responding to treatment.

I never saw him play pool but I have great respect for your and Jackpot's word regarding his ability.

Bill's cues were truly great in design and playability.

Since he is recovering, I hope you can contact Nick and broker a match with one of the young guns. I also agree he would need some weight but I bet Ray Hansen would video feed the event.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
For some, it always easier to throw mud at another than just keep on keeping on. Walk a mile in ones shoes, and you might understand.

If the mudder knows so much, then please show us the gift you have to be so..... ?????????

JohnnyOzone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about a match with you and B Stroud involving John Barton and lou Figueroa. Seeing those guys as partners would break the internet

lucky1974

Registered

I know jake is not making cues now either,but

Come on really. NO ONE is making any cue. It has been years since that contest. But I dont think anybody should be let off the hook for screwing someone over. In the years it has been since that contest no one has made it up to the guy that won. So I dont see a reason for people to not bring it up when the chance arises to remember someone getting screwed.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back to the original thread

I am not matching up for Nick or Billy

I would just like to see one of my old favorites compete

How much would you bet if SVB offered Nick Varner 9 to 5 and who would you bet on?

If Tony were to give 80 year old Billy 10 to 5,how much would you bet and which player do you like?

If Alex were to give Billy 10 -5 and the break,who would you bet $5000 on?

I am not representing either player,I am wishing it were possible to see them play

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

How much would you bet if SVB offered Nick Varner 9 to 5 and who would you bet on?

If Tony were to give 80 year old Billy 10 to 5,how much would you bet and which player do you like?

I am not representing either player,I am wishing it were possible to see them play

Dean, at the Rack in Detroit, some of the action was ‘one pocket with a coach’
They’d take a nine ball player who couldn’t spell one pocket...he had to do everything
the coach said.

So make Nick and Efren the coaches....start picking

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I don't think anyone feels like you are "representing" any player.

You, like many of us, would appreciate seeing this type match.

You seem very capable of making matches as per your descriptions on AZ of matches in the past.

That is why I suggested that you be open to setting up such action where legends got some weight and played the champions of today. There may some folks who would want to contribute to the sponsorship of a player.

An event like this could take place but someone like yourself would need to promote it.

We "leetle people" would not know how to put it together.