Playing Under the Influence

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Now that recreational marijuana is legal here in Illinois (of all places :eek:) and a growing number of other states, and will likely soon be federally legal, I guess it's OK now to ask...

Is playing stoned good or bad for your game?

Sometimes a little during practice helps me focus and enjoy the process when my motivation flags. But I don't do it a lot for that because I don't want to need it for that.

On the other hand, in competition, even for fun, it's just a distraction for me.

pj <- lightweight
chgo

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Bad because you'd be easy to shark.
All your opponent would need to is dangle some Twinkies while you're shooting.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anything that keeps you from playing totally clear headed or clear minded is never an aid unless you were
attempting to play under great stress or pain, either of which would interfere and distract from your play. In
any event, subscribing to better play using 420 preparation beforehand is not the way to play your best. I
live in CA so I know a lot about that of which I speak or more apropos, post about this topic.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was playing one pocket getting 9-7.
And I can play pretty good.
My opponent was stoned and kept going out to his car to toke up.
I really didn't care that he did this.
We played 7 games and I wound up stuck 2 games to a stoner.LOL

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now that recreational marijuana is legal here in Illinois (of all places :eek:) and a growing number of other states, and will likely soon be federally legal, I guess it's OK now to ask...

Is playing stoned good or bad for your game?

Sometimes a little during practice helps me focus and enjoy the process when my motivation flags. But I don't do it a lot for that because I don't want to need it for that.

On the other hand, in competition, even for fun, it's just a distraction for me.

pj <- lightweight
chgo

Its not good for my game, its great for it. Its great for everything. I am constantly stoned.

gogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is gonna vary a lot according to who we are talking about.
The “focus in” on each tiny detail seems to be a plus....
on the downside, EVERYTHING becomes so significant in all of the interactions with others,the group,the looks somebody gave,what did they “mean by that”.... very distracting to me, at least.

Wears me right out

Cadillac J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
puff puff pass

I indulge in the green every single night, 85% of the time it is followed by a few hours of pool. My personal opinion is that it has improved my overall game. There are facets of my game that I find easier to hone in to fix, things I wouldn't normally notice.

When not under the influence, my game does not suffer at all. Sometimes I won't even feel like playing pool, but then I go use the volcano to get lifted -- and it will just give me the motivation to want to start playing all of a sudden.

To me, as long as it doesn't become a crutch that you NEED in order to play well, you should be fine.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Heck, I'm a sucker for twinkies even sober.

Oh, you mean the pastry... that too.

pj
chgo

Hot.. It’s like hit or miss for me. Sometimes it helps me easily get in the zone and play at my top level. I somehow feel “on top of it” and I know I’m in stroke before I even start. Other times I am a complete basket case, overthinking, I can’t keep steady, it just all falls apart.

Whenever I’m out playing someone for fun or practicing at the hall and I smoke I pretty much always play well. At home I can get to feeling a lil funny. It’s weird.

All that said I’ve learned not to smoke during a tournament or before a serious game. If I’m playing someone for hours it’s ok to smoke once I’m already in the game, even if it’s serious, but if I smoke before I start playing I’m more likely to get bogged down.

I rarely drink but if I do, I pretty much need to smoke to be able to tap into my pool skills.

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I learned when I was younger smoking weed and shooting pool didn't mix well with me.

Last edited:

JazzboxBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I first starting playing seriously at age 33 I was smoking nearly every time I played. I knew it was most likely detrimental to playing my best but I continued. My last league season after a hand injury I didn’t partake and honestly I played better. Now that I’m playing again and increasingly becoming more serious I don’t use. I might have a beer as the night is winding down during league but typically don’t drink while playing.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was playing one pocket getting 9-7.
And I can play pretty good.
My opponent was stoned and kept going out to his car to toke up.
I really didn't care that he did this.
We played 7 games and I wound up stuck 2 games to a stoner.LOL

I think you mis-counted, amigo.

VonRhett

Friends Call Me "von"
Silver Member
I just hate the thought of orange cue balls.

You know, Cheetos dust.

Why would someone ask if drugs will make them play a sport better? It's like asking if you will drive better if you close your eyes.

The entire attraction of pot is that it makes you feel lackadaisical; you become pliable which is how the Govt wants you. That's why it's legal. That and the new revenue stream from taxing the crap out of it.

NOT because it's harmless.

PJ, I am NOT judging and don't care one bit if folks want to smoke every day. Truly don't care.

But don't hide your vices in a "better pool performance" wrapper because that's pure garbage.

-von

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anything that keeps you from playing totally clear headed or clear minded is never an aid unless you were
attempting to play under great stress or pain, either of which would interfere and distract from your play. In
any event, subscribing to better play using 420 preparation beforehand is not the way to play your best. I
live in CA so I know a lot about that of which I speak or more apropos, post about this topic.

^^^^^^^^^

Very true.

I'm on huge doses of all sorts of meds. One type being pain meds and I assure you folks that I cannot play my best while taking it. On the other hand, I can't walk to the mailbox if I don't take it so, for some of us, meds in lots of forms are "necessary" just to function.

Accidents, injuries, illnesses etc...etc can and will at least hinder your game ...or stop it all together.

<<<<<<<pain management patient for years.

My game suffers bigtime.

Jeff

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I enjoy it while playing for fun or by myself.
Not good for long tournaments or gambling
sessions for me.

Bout the same here. I wouldnt go into a serious game, money or tournament, stoned. But its really nice the rest of the time. :thumbup:

On the flip side, I have a tremor that is worse at times than others, due to getting hit in the head a lot (a couple of times with a baseball bat when I was a kid). So in money or tournaments, Ill have a double Jager before play to stop the tremor.

Life is funny sometimes. :D