Went back to wood last night.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like my Revo and all, been using that shaft since week 3 or 4 after they came out.
But ever so often I play with a regular cue and I still seem to play my best game with
a 21 oz Players with one of those 'nothing special' shafts. Whatever comes with it, tip too.
I seem to run out more often in both 8 and 9 ball with that cue.
70 bucks if I remember correctly.
I use it for breaking too.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I see a lot of people talking about "performance shafts/cues". What is that exactly? Now the same people are talking about cues like lower deflection is all that matters. It isn't. If you have a super low deflection cue and a normal length bridge, you are going to miss more long straight in shots than you would with a cue with slightly higher deflection. Simply because any mishit will not be compensated by the deflection. The lowest deflection shafts have their pivot points way behind where most people bridge their shots. So actually, for lower level players, such a shaft would decrease their performance on a large number of common shots. If you can't make a long straight in, your pool life will be miserable.

But really, once you get past run-out levels of play, the most important aspect is speed control. It is what separates between players at the highest level. I really mean it, any knucklehead can hit a low outside shot, it's not the challenge in this game. A good player will get out of line because of speed, much more often than he'll miss a ball because of deflection. And even then, I haven't seen any evidence that ld shafts make you miss less.

The challenge is landing on the correct spot, not just tracking the line. A stiff, dead shaft will give you little feedback on your stroke. Every shot will feel like almost a partial miscue. This goes especially for Revo shafts. If I had to choose between a Revo and a Z shaft, I'd pick the latter every time. At least that shaft feels like I'm stroking the cueball and not poking it all the time.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like playing with carbon and wood shafts...I have both.

Tomorrow, I'm going to play with wood, but I'll bring my Becue, too.

The Becue feels like you are playing with wood, so there isn't really a noticeable difference in the hit feel when you switch up.

My wood shafts are all thicker than the Becue shaft, which is 12mm, so the difference in my bridge is noticeable because I normally use a closed bridge. The Becue has less deflection, but I grew up playing with wood shafts, so it doesn't take me very long to dial in.

I'm looking forward to having some fun with my toys.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't get it. Since you can make the CB go the same direction with or without CB deflection (and any other kind of spin) by simply aiming there with the required adjustment, what's CB deflection necessary for?

pj
chgo

A very good player in my area recently made a similar comment. He was switching to a high deflection shaft because 1p, and considered that to be a sufficient explanation. I'm in agreement with you - I don't see how high deflection would help in any game, including 1p. That said, I don't play 1p so maybe there's something I'm missing.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
A very good player in my area recently made a similar comment. He was switching to a high deflection shaft because 1p, and considered that to be a sufficient explanation. I'm in agreement with you - I don't see how high deflection would help in any game, including 1p. That said, I don't play 1p so maybe there's something I'm missing.

Sometimes you need squirt to get extra throw

TeeA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My recent carbon experience: Hit a Jacoby two nights before heading to Turning Stone and asked my friend if I could borrow it for the tournament. Picked it up the next night and changed the tip to something I liked. Got to warm up a little at TS and who do I get in the first round but SVB and on the TV table no less.

What an honor it was to play him. The consummate professional. I figured why not try the Jacoby, right? I did however, bring my OB shaft on a McDermott butt with me of course. I actually hung in there for a short time. Broke and ran the first rack...experience of a lifetime...leading Shane in a Pro tournament. Tried to get the officials to stop the match there, but no luck. At 4-5 my adrenaline was pumping on a safety and I let him see the edge. Can I blame that edge on the Jacoby? lol.

You can guess the outcome, but what a trip! Went back to wood next match (which I won). Just didn't feel comfortable with the carbon, but understood why.

Had a great carbon time.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
??

Squirt and throw have nothing to do with each other.

I don’t think squirt does anything except complicate aiming.

pj
chgo

It allows you to put a spinning cueball into a different spot on the object ball. Dramatically different action with inside. The cueball starts to swerve back into the object ball. You can really cheat position sometimes because of how far the cueball squirts off before spinning back to position

This is much more important in One Pocket than in rotation games

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
2 years ago I had a lot of cues. 7 really nice ones and 1 piece of sht. A 50 dollar “custom” I won that hit like a broom. It had a weird weight too like 16oz. Well I messed around with it playing 5 dollar games and ran a 3 pack. Thought I discovered magic, I proceeded to play with that piece of sht cue for a month and a half. You couldnt pay me to touch that stick now. Sold it for 40 bucks. Just cause you shot well with inferior equipment doesnt mean that’s your player now. If I break and run on a table with no cloth doesnt mean it’s my favorite table now.

Pangit

Banned
The Indian/Arrow story is BS and it gets old hearing it.

A good player can pretty much play with anything, but even a good player plays better if they are playing with something that fits THEM best and they feel works best for THEM.

Nobody is going to play with a POS if they have options to play with something they think is better for them.

When do you expect Efren to start playing with a CF shaft and a cueing glove?

Diamond69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Trust me if someone gave me the opportunity to drive a $500,000.00 Indy Car around the track at Indianapolis, this amature driver would not be able to get the car to preform, go fast around the track like a top driver from that circuit.

The skilled racer can get the top Porformance out of top race car, if some amature tried to accomplish the same thing. About all I would expecte is a very bad accident, or death from a Nucklehead trying to push the car beyond his skill level.

While your analogy is correct, it should also be noted that you will get around the track faster than if you were in your 2012 Chevy Cruze.

I think the point is some advancements in technology can make you better, but does not make you the best just because it is better.

On the other side, I see newer players with a 50 cent stroke and $2500 in equipment with $500 break cues, $400 shafts, etc. thinking that will help them catch up in skill level.

To each their own I guess. Do what makes you happy. It's a game.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
While your analogy is correct, it should also be noted that you will get around the track faster than if you were in your 2012 Chevy Cruze.

I think the point is some advancements in technology can make you better, but does not make you the best just because it is better.

On the other side, I see newer players with a 50 cent stroke and $2500 in equipment with $500 break cues, $400 shafts, etc. thinking that will help them catch up in skill level.

To each their own I guess. Do what makes you happy. It's a game.

I happy bein g able to get up in morning pain free, play a little Pool, and have a couple of Cigars. At my age even the SR. PGA Tour is way past my ability.

Have a local Car show on the 8th., looking forward to being able to walk the 4 - 5 miles to see everything.

As for Pool I miss the old days at the Boys Club in Miami playing for pennies, in the 1950's, it was a good time.

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
I started playing with a revo 12.9 a year ago. I then got a meucci carbon pro last summer and sort of played with one or the other ...mostly the meucci.

Last night i decided to use the black dot and must say i am very happy with how i played overall. Got out of position a few times but made every ball thst was makeable ...for my skill level lol.

All but one...hill - hill in 8 ball and made the classic mistake of missing an easy 8 after making a very hard ...for me shot on my last ball.

I won my other 8 ball and a 9 ball match. Just might stick with wood from now on.

I think when all the money is spent on carbon fiber and all the noise about CF shafts subsides, all will realize that deflection is a part of reality on any shaft and the amount is negligible on any low deflection shaft regardless of wood or carbon fiber. Being a statue at stroke impact and movement at elbow only at stroke impact does much more for one's game than any shaft.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tiger Wood is like one of the top 10 Golfers in the world, every little plus or minus effects his game. He plays with the best he can get, and he get paid endorsement money for using a certain brands. He wear Nike because he get paid very well to wear their brand, and has his own line of Nike clothing.

Trust me if you dressed me like Tiger, gave me his Golf equipment, I could not still play Golf at any level good enough to make the cut at a major tournment

Tiger could play really well with a borrow set of clubs, or a cheap set from Dicks Sporting Goods, if his got customs lost by airline personal.

Tiger ability makes Tiger, Tiger, not his equiptment. JMHO

TRUTH IS IS THE INDIAN, NOT THE BOW & ARROW THAT FEEDS A FAMILY. BOW 7 ARROW ARE NOTHING WITHOUT HUNTER.:grin:
You're delusional. In Tiger's or any other pro's case they would shoot a minimum of five shots per round worse with borrowed/sporting-good clubs. That's 20 shots over four days. No cut,no cash. Get real man.