Cue Ball Position System

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
This is interesting coming from a pro (Mary Kenniston - spelling?) She states that the system is pretty accurate.

2019 WPBA Masters

I wasn't aware of this system but will begin practicing it soon.

https://youtu.be/LiJoAfJw5PM?t=791

John :)

The problem with position systems in general is that they have several problems when it comes to full hits close to the pockets/rails. That's where the overspin phenomenon comes into play and table conditions (especially rail bounce) wrecks havoc. The shot referred to in the video is just such a shot.

I had a go at making a position system with plus and minus factors, hit fullness etc figured into it(tips of spin), using cue pullback rather than followthrough as a measure. And it did work, for most basic shots, but failed at the aforementioned situations, during which a system would be the most helpful, so I abandoned it. I still use some elements of it, such as cue pullback length etc, but when I get close to the rails I have to rely on judgement (like everyone else). Of course if you just roll the ball in, you can calculate the lenght of travel, but then you don't need a system for that...

If you're interested in such systems, I believe the very best one is one developed for 3 cushion, where the fullness of the hit, cue tip position etc is taken into account with wonderful accuracy to figure out 3 or more cushion caroms. Could be deadly for safeties etc, although pockets may cause problems.

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The problem with position systems in general is that they have several problems when it comes to full hits close to the pockets/rails. That's where the overspin phenomenon comes into play and table conditions (especially rail bounce) wrecks havoc. The shot referred to in the video is just such a shot.

I had a go at making a position system with plus and minus factors, hit fullness etc figured into it(tips of spin), using cue pullback rather than followthrough as a measure. And it did work, for most basic shots, but failed at the aforementioned situations, during which a system would be the most helpful, so I abandoned it. I still use some elements of it, such as cue pullback length etc, but when I get close to the rails I have to rely on judgement (like everyone else). Of course if you just roll the ball in, you can calculate the lenght of travel, but then you don't need a system for that...

If you're interested in such systems, I believe the very best one is one developed for 3 cushion, where the fullness of the hit, cue tip position etc is taken into account with wonderful accuracy to figure out 3 or more cushion caroms. Could be deadly for safeties etc, although pockets may cause problems.

SP_99. I'm very interested.
Where can I find more information on this system.

Thanks

John :)

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Read thru the link. Unfortunately the link does not show a system for speed control of the cue ball.

As stated by Mary K. in the video: 1" of follow thru of the cue ball after contact with the object ball equals 1 diamond of travel of the cue ball.

This is still a feel type speed control of the cue ball. I have taken this system to the table and find that it works pretty well. Keeping in mind that the back stroke of the cue is where more attention should be placed as you have stated. Thanks.

If nothing else the system should open players minds to the length of their backstroke depending on how much they wish to follow thru the cue ball.

So the system is a helpful for speed control of the cue ball. (generally speaking)

Keep on keeping on. :)

John

Last edited:

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Read thru the link. Unfortunately the link does not show a system for speed control of the cue ball.

As stated by Mary K. in the video: 1" of follow thru of the cue ball after contact with the object ball equals 1 diamond of travel of the cue ball.

This is still a feel type speed control of the cue ball. I have taken this system to the table and find that it works pretty well. Keeping in mind that the back stroke of the cue is where more attention should be placed as you have stated. Thanks.

If nothing else the system should open players minds to the length of their backstroke depending on how much they wish to follow thru the cue ball.

So the system is a helpful for speed control of the cue ball. (generally speaking)

Keep on keeping on. :)

John

The system for 3 cushion is very stroke dependent. This is the case for all 3 cushion systems, which is why it won't work for all speeds of stroke. 3 cushion is the most sensitive of the cue sports, and as I've found out, it's very difficult to make any headway at all without working on smoothness and accuracy as far as both spin and speed is concerned.

If you think about it, it makes perfect sense that for slower speeds, the spin won't carry all the way to the ball, or even the rail after ball contact, which is another reason why these systems tend to have a somewhat limited application, in addition to harder speeds having problems like the ball hooking or overspin etc.

After experimenting with this 3 cushion system for a while I found a speed that seems to work, but honestly my skill in 3 cushion (or even interest) is not there to be perfectly accurate with it. But the better players are great with it. I do think, however, that typical pool condition (slightly worn cloth, normal cushions) should be close to ideal to make the system work in a practical way, just barely reaching the object ball, for a nice safe for many situations with long(ish) cue ball travel. New cloth Diamonds are almost as sensitive as carom tables and the angles are funny, so I'm not sure if it even works there. Closest Diamond table is about a 3 hour drive, so I go there maybe a couple of times a year. On GC's it seems to be close. I have been focusing on different cue sports lately, Chineese 8 ball, Blackball and Snooker, so I haven't really done a lot of work on it lately. As you may allready know, those tables all lack diamonds, and have square cushion noses, making such systems useless.

As far as speed control is concerned, it's been a standard in snooker teaching that the pullback i proportional to the followthrough which is regulated with hand position, which seems to work for a wide range of shots, but not quite all. For the smoothest and best stroke delivery, I find that a shorter pullback and longer followthrough seems to give a better quality stroke, for maximum spin on draw shots etc.. Anyway, I hope you found this informative.

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
thank you for the links and explanation straightpool_99
:thumbup::thumbup: