Replacing joint pin

baji314

14.1 trainee
Silver Member
Does replacing a joint pin on a cue, lets say from a uniloc to a 3/8x10 diminish the playability and feel of how the cue hits? joint integrity?

Thanks for your input

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
If you have to blow torch a screw, you are at risk of destroying the cue.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those Uni-Loc pins can be a pain to remove. Since the Uni-Loc design is piloted, you also need to plug parts of the hole to get a nice flatfaced joint. I cant say a joint pin change will diminish how the cue plays, but depending on the pin used, it might change the balancepoint. I'm nota huge fan of Uni-Loc myself, but I wonder why your contemplating the pin change? If you have lots of shafts in 3/8-10 or whatever you want the pin changed to, fine. If it's just an idea you have, maybe it's not worth the cost and potential problems, as Joey allready has alluded to...

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Those Uni-Loc pins can be a pain to remove. Since the Uni-Loc design is piloted, you also need to plug parts of the hole to get a nice flatfaced joint. I cant say a joint pin change will diminish how the cue plays, but depending on the pin used, it might change the balancepoint. I'm nota huge fan of Uni-Loc myself, but I wonder why your contemplating the pin change? If you have lots of shafts in 3/8-10 or whatever you want the pin changed to, fine. If it's just an idea you have, maybe it's not worth the cost and potential problems, as Joey allready has alluded to...

I don't think it's worth the effort.
Uni-Loc quick release hits just fine.
No screw configuration is straighter .

baji314

14.1 trainee
Silver Member
Thank you for the info

The reason I was asking is that I've seen one or two cues for sale online that use uni-loc pins replaced with other ones (as stated by the seller). I do not personally know anyone that has done it but was just curious.

I did think about it though when I planned on purchasing a Pred 8pt sneaky (retired one) and fitting it with a radial pin joint.

Again, thank you!