Straight Grain

CueNewb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would love to see some straight grain cues. Especially the SS joint ones.
I know Nick Serdula had some on here not long ago. Post up if you have the time and you wouldn't mind showing off! :)

K

thepavlos

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's my player
IMG_1357.jpg

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's 4 with SS and Straight Grain

Jerry R
100_1825.jpg

James White

100_1349.jpg

James White

102_2101.jpg

Tascarella

102_2048.jpg

JohnPT

"Prove it!"
Silver Member
I like birdseye maple but there is nothing like a nice straight grain maple for an old skool kinda cue.

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

mc26e.jpg

mc26f.jpg

Realizm

I love cocobolo cues.
Silver Member
Nice looking cues ,does straight grain malpe play better the Birds eye ?

Steppo

That's my Bourbon
Silver Member
Here's a picture of two

My John Davis cue and a Southwest

Attachments

• 3-8-11 019.jpg
    3-8-11 019.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 1,355

JohnPT

"Prove it!"
Silver Member
Nice looking cues ,does straight grain malpe play better the Birds eye ?

If you have two exactly identical cues from tip to bumper with the only difference being one has a BEM forearm and thr other straight grain maple, I would say you wouldnt be able to tell the difference. But they do play nice though ;)

Steppo

That's my Bourbon
Silver Member
HEY!!I love that cue:lovies:
They do have a finish on them. I'll post a different picture

Attachments

• cue pic 4-11-11 004.jpg
    cue pic 4-11-11 004.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1,290
  • cue pic 4-11-11 002.jpg
    cue pic 4-11-11 002.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 1,288
Last edited:

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you have two exactly identical cues from tip to bumper with the only difference being one has a BEM forearm and thr other straight grain maple, I would say you wouldnt be able to tell the difference. But they do play nice though ;)

I would think the same, but I know one of the great cuemakers (either Rambow or Balabushka, I think the latter) considered anything other than straight-grain maple to be flawed, and would only build forearms with straight-grain.

Hunter

The King of Memes
Silver Member
I do some competition shotgun shooting, and a couple of years back, I had the most beautiful and highly figured walnut stock on my gun that you could ever imagine seeing. I was absolutely tickled with the wood, but my coach saw it and just shook his head. He said that I should send it back to the manufacturer and get it replaced with wood with a straighter grain.

I wasn't about to give up the stock for a plain one. My coach told me that the gun was going to have nasty recoil because the way he explained it, the shock waves on a straight grained gun are directed toward the recoil pad with nothing to redirect them. He said that a highly figured burl would focus the impact on the knots and that they couldn't "escape" easily without the impact being very noticeable.

This explanation wasn't about to make me send the stock in for replacement, as it just didn't sound all that scientific.

Long story short, the gun kicked like a mule and about six months after I bought it, I was shooting in a tournament and the stock literally shattered. Broke right in half! I ended up getting a straight grained stock as a replacement, and now the gun doesn't have the same felt recoil and I've shot it for years with no damage.

I use the pictured cue and I can say without a doubt, it is the best feeling cue I've ever hit with. GB would have been proud of the grain (or lack therof) in the forearm!

Steve

Attachments

• Copy of Mystery1.jpg
    Copy of Mystery1.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 1,251

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do some competition shotgun shooting, and a couple of years back, I had the most beautiful and highly figured walnut stock on my gun that you could ever imagine seeing. I was absolutely tickled with the wood, but my coach saw it and just shook his head. He said that I should send it back to the manufacturer and get it replaced with wood with a straighter grain.

I wasn't about to give up the stock for a plain one. My coach told me that the gun was going to have nasty recoil because the way he explained it, the shock waves on a straight grained gun are directed toward the recoil pad with nothing to redirect them. He said that a highly figured burl would focus the impact on the knots and that they couldn't "escape" easily without the impact being very noticeable.

This explanation wasn't about to make me send the stock in for replacement, as it just didn't sound all that scientific.

Long story short, the gun kicked like a mule and about six months after I bought it, I was shooting in a tournament and the stock literally shattered. Broke right in half! I ended up getting a straight grained stock as a replacement, and now the gun doesn't have the same felt recoil and I've shot it for years with no damage.

I use the pictured cue and I can say without a doubt, it is the best feeling cue I've ever hit with. GB would have been proud of the grain (or lack therof) in the forearm!

Steve

I know Ive said it before, but that cue is great Steve. Has the forearm darkened since you have had it? Ive noticed all of my straight grain cues have.

Hunter

The King of Memes
Silver Member
I know Ive said it before, but that cue is great Steve. Has the forearm darkened since you have had it? Ive noticed all of my straight grain cues have.

Thanks Ian! The forearm hasn't darkened on this one at all. I've had a couple other ones that did, so I know what you're talking about...

Steve

CueNewb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is some great stuff, thanks for posting all! I love the simplicity of straight grain and imho with a SS joint it has the most solid hit. Keep them coming!

HollyWood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Szamboti sold George Blabushka and Balmer forebutts

In 1975 It was Pretty much all Gus Szamboti. Herman Rambow in 1967,Frank Paradise in 1968, Eugene Balmer in 1972 and George Balabuska in 1975 and a huge void was created. mark

DJKeys

Sound Design
Silver Member
Here are two Hoppe style cues, Tascarella and Carmeli. The Carmeli is made from a Davis blank.

Attachments

• TwinPoints.jpg
    TwinPoints.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 640
  • TwinSigs.jpg
    TwinSigs.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 622
  • TwinFull.jpg
    TwinFull.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 620
  • CPoints.jpg
    CPoints.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 634

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nothing makes veneers pop like straight grained maple. My new Tascarella will be straight grained maple and Brazilian Rosewood. Black-Green-Yellow and natural veneers. Green spec Irish linen.