Fractional Aiming - Seeing Major Benefits!

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Per my last post, I recently started using fractional aiming (I thought it was CTE but PJ corrected me – thanks). At first, I was trying to categorize every shot into the following categories:

1. 90 degree cut
2. Quarter ball cut
3. Half ball cut
4. Three quarter ball cut
5. Full

I tested it out on a bar box and it worked surprisingly well. Occasionally, I would have to make minor adjustments but generally the system worked. Over the next few days I started using it on my 9 footer at home and I noticed that it didn’t always work out so well. The big table is not nearly as forgiving as the bar box. So I started subdividing the ball even further into eighth ball fractions and sixteenths if necessary.

My aiming process before involved finding contact points based off past experience. I’ve known that you’re supposed to do your aiming while standing and then get down on the shot line correctly but it’s something I’ve struggled with in the past. I’ll find the contact point and shot line while standing and then I take my eye off it during the setup process and have to find it again while I’m down on the shot. Also, for some strange reason, I tend to get down on a different shot line than what I decided upon while standing. This leads to changing my aim while down on the shot and all the problems involved with that.

With my new method, I choose the ball fraction while standing by systematically narrow down the aiming. For example, I’ll start with a quarter ball fraction and then adjust by one eighth of a ball if necessary and then adjust more until I have it completely fine tuned into the fraction that makes the ball. This all happens while standing. So now, I have the ball fraction completely decided upon and I have a number in my head (i.e three eighths) and I can take my eyes off the contact point to analyze where the cue ball is going to travel and what english and speed to use. When it’s time to get down on the shot I just get down on the three eights line and fire away. There is nothing else to decide upon unless the shot looks off when I get down.

I’m not really doing anything different with my aim except assigning a finite value to the shot line/contact point. But wow, what an improvement this has made in my game! It’s such a relief to have the aiming all figured out before getting down on the shot. It frees up a lot of energy to dedicate to the shotmaking/cueing process and simplifies things.

This aiming process also has helped a lot with the aiming of banks and safeties which are sometimes hard to visualize while down on the shot. Also, I’m starting to see similarities between so many different shots. For example, I no longer see a difference between a backcut (which I usually struggle with) and a regular cut since all I’m doing is hitting the same fraction of the ball and the pocket location is irrelevant. I'm starting to categorize contact throw effects into fractions too. After hitting a few balls, I’ll know what throw to expect out of a half ball hit compared to a quarter ball hit for example, and that carries over from shot to shot.

Overall, I’m very impressed and optimistic for my pool playing future. If anyone else has the same visual problems as me I suggest trying this – it’s really helped a lot. Anyone else use this aiming method? I’d love to hear your results.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I recently started using fractional aiming.
If you don't mind a little easy math, take a look at BC21's "Poolology" system. It's supposed to take the guesswork out of choosing the correct fraction for the shot.

Occasionally, I would have to make minor adjustments but generally the system worked.
The fractions system is a "reference" system (like all systems, actually) - meaning for the vast majority of shots the fraction just gets you close to the actual cut. So fine-tuning ("adjusting") is an expected part of using it.

pj <- don't use fractions or Poolology, but know they make sense
chgo

Last edited:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you don't mind a little easy math, take a look at BC21's "Poolology" system. It's supposed to take the guesswork out of choosing the correct fraction for the shot.

chgo

Thanks for the plug PJ. :)

But I guess if someone wants they can use fractional aiming combined with a CTE type sweep approach. Instead of using a cte "perception" as a starting point, and looking at the cb-ob relationship from this perception to determine if it's thick or thin, one could use the nearest quarter aim point through ccb. Determine if this quarter aim line looks thick or thin for the shot, then pivot or sweep accordingly to make that thick or thin adjustment. Unlike the CTE perceptions though, you will actually come across shots quite often where your quarter reference happens to be dead on for the shot line and doesn't need thickened or thinned.

Actually, if you can recognize when the cb-ob relationship needs to be just a touch thicker or thinner than the nearest quarter aim in order to pocket the ball, you probably don't need any system other than aiming the cb straight to where you see it needs to be. Just see snd shoot. And that happens to be the end goal of many aiming systems, including ghostball, traditional fractions, contact points, and of course Poolology.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I guess if someone wants they can use fractional aiming combined with a CTE type sweep approach.
... one could use the nearest quarter aim point through ccb. Determine if this quarter aim line looks thick or thin for the shot, then pivot or sweep accordingly to make that thick or thin adjustment.
Pivoting or "sweeping" from a reference angle (like fractions) to finalize the aim line is one of the good things about CTE (if only it wasn't obscured in system fantasy). I think we often do it unconsciously when we make that final "tweak", no matter how we aim. I think of it as "scanning" across a small range of cut angles until we see the one we like.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The fractions system is a "reference" system (like all systems, actually) - meaning for the vast majority of shots the fraction just gets you close to the actual cut. So fine-tuning ("adjusting") is an expected part of using it.

chgo

Yea go buy the poolology book. It will confirm exactly what you are doing now. Sounds like PJ bought it but i'd bet he didn't.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pivoting or "sweeping" from a reference angle (like fractions) to finalize the aim line is one of the good things about CTE (if only it wasn't obscured in system fantasy). I think we often do it unconsciously when we make that final "tweak", no matter how we aim. I think of it as "scanning" across a small range of cut angles until we see the one we like.

pj
chgo

The only fantasy is your Lizard Adjustment Aiming method

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the plug PJ. :)

But I guess if someone wants they can use fractional aiming combined with a CTE type sweep approach. Instead of using a cte "perception" as a starting point, and looking at the cb-ob relationship from this perception to determine if it's thick or thin, one could use the nearest quarter aim point through ccb. Determine if this quarter aim line looks thick or thin for the shot, then pivot or sweep accordingly to make that thick or thin adjustment. Unlike the CTE perceptions though, you will actually come across shots quite often where your quarter reference happens to be dead on for the shot line and doesn't need thickened or thinned.

Actually, if you can recognize when the cb-ob relationship needs to be just a touch thicker or thinner than the nearest quarter aim in order to pocket the ball, you probably don't need any system other than aiming the cb straight to where you see it needs to be. Just see snd shoot. And that happens to be the end goal of many aiming systems, including ghostball, traditional fractions, contact points, and of course Poolology.

Why bring CTE into what could have been a good discussion about Poolology?

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
Yea go buy the poolology book. It will confirm exactly what you are doing now. Sounds like PJ bought it but i'd bet he didn't.

The only fantasy is your Lizard Adjustment Aiming method

I'm beginning to think that the cookie man is some type of CTE Kookie man.
Why is it every aim thread that doesn't start out as CTE gets turned around?

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Because the usual suspects refuse to let each other be happy on their respective islands
Jmho
Icbw

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Always on patrol, defending against CTE heresy...

pj
chgo

SGT COOKIE.jpg

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Good question. Except it's NEVER ME that brings CTE into a thread. Yes i jump in but considering the fact that i am the one with proper CTE training and not just some keyboard player who THINKS or imagines what's happening, then i think it's justified to correct them

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Good question. Except it's NEVER ME that brings CTE into a thread. Yes i jump in but considering the fact that i am the one with proper CTE training and not just some keyboard player who THINKS or imagines what's happening, then i think it's justified to correct them
Show us an example of a "correction" that's more than "nuh uh!".

pj
chgo

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Because the usual suspects refuse to let each other be happy on their respective islands
Jmho
Icbw
That ain't no s^*t. If your system(or lack of one) works who gives a flying f^*k how any one else aims? BTW, i call mine "Goulash" as its a hybrid zombie miss-mash of about four different methods. Works so far. ;)

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member

Because the op first thought he was doing CTE. Lol.

Get over it already. Shiskabob is mix of fractional aiming and pivoting. So suggesting that someone could use fractional references and then fine tune the aim line with a little pivot, LIKE IN CTE, is part of real aiming discussion, a civil discussion. It's amazing how quickly you come in to fan the flames anytime CTE is mentioned, regardless of the discussion. You act as if every mention of CTE by a non-cte user is taboo or sacrilegious. No one here is badmouthing CTE, so move along please, nothing to police here.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
That ain't no s^*t. If your system(or lack of one) works who gives a flying f^*k how any one else aims? BTW, i call mine "Goulash" as its a hybrid zombie miss-mash of about four different methods. Works so far. ;)

I agree. If it works, use it! And, occasionally, in the course of discussing aiming, various systems come up in comparisons because many systems share certain elements. But if you ever go into detail with your "Goulash", trying to explain it someone else here, DO NOT mention the letters CTE or you'll be stepping over some imaginary line that only 100% CTE users are permitted to cross.

And I'm not baiting for a response from Cookie, just stating a pattern. Defense isn't always needed. This is an aiming forum where people discuss aiming systems, so yes CTE comes up. But it's shouldn't be treated as if the very mention of it is negative.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

chgo

Because the op first thought he was doing CTE. Lol.

Yet you were handed a golden opportunity to help the OP with poolology but instead focused on CTE. Is poolology really not worth discussing. Don't hear much about it except for the plugs to go buy the book.