Our Bar Rules and Playing System

Push&Pool

Professional Banger
Silver Member
Just got home from a very fun night of 8ball :) My best friend and I played pairs against, well, most of the bar crowd (the majority of them good players, mind you). Won 7 in a row, enjoyed our time and drinks, and prior to that even played a few games 1v1 in a different bar as a warm-up.

All this made me write about the way we play and compete in this bar, which is the most popular pool place in the city. To start off, we play on a 7ft coin op bar table. The player (or pair) who won the previous game stays at the table, and the incoming player pays for the next game and racks the balls. This way everyone in the bar gets to play without waiting too much, and it motivates the players to give their best to stay at the table, playing more while saving their money.

The winner of the previous game breaks from behind the head string. If one or more balls of the same suit are made on the break, the shooter immediately claims that suit. If different suits are pocketed, the ball which dropped first (or when uncertain, which rolled into the ball return system first) determines the shooter's suit. When only the 8 ball drops, the player instantly wins the game, but if anything else gets pocketed along with it, it's an instantaneous defeat. Finally, if nothing is pocketed, the table is open and the opponent gets to shoot. This can be repeated until the first ball drops, then the suits are determined.

There is no shot calling and no requirement for any ball to hit the rail. As long as you pocket at least one of your balls per shot, you keep playing. If nothing is pocketed, or you pocket both your own and your opponent's balls, you lose your turn.

Hitting an opponent's ball directly, without touching a rail or your own balls first, results in loss of turn, regardless of the outcome of the shot. In addition, the opponent gets to pick up the ball you hit directly and drop it in a pocket prior to their turn if they so choose, or leave it where it stands.

Once a player scratches or knocks the cue ball off the table, the cue ball goes on the head spot. It cannot be moved, and the opponent gets to shoot. They are only allowed to shoot forward, in the direction towards the foot rail, in a way that their cue doesn't pass over either corner pocket. That pretty much means they can only shoot at balls positioned between right and left side pocket and the head spot, and at anything below that. If an opponent's ball or the 8 ball completely block the allowed shooting arc, the player is allowed to draw the cue ball behind the head spot until a legal shot is possible.

Any ball knocked off the table, except the 8 ball and the cue ball, is spotted in the kitchen, touching the head rail next to the center diamond, and the opponent gets the turn. If such action would allow an obviously easy shot for the incoming player, especially if it's their last ball, the knocked off balls are spotted on the opposing side of the table, touching the foot rail next to the center diamond.

If at any point in the game a player hits the 8 ball directly, without touching a rail or another ball first, it's a loss of the game. Same goes if the 8 ball is pocketed or knocked off the table. This obviously stops applying once the player pockets all balls of the suit they claimed. At that point the 8 ball can be touched directly, and must be pocketed in the pocket where the last ball of the player's suit was dropped to win the game. Pocketing it in the wrong pocket or throwing it off the table means loss. Also, committing any foul (scratching, any ball off the table, an opponent's ball hit directly or pocketed) while pocketing the 8 ball in the correct pocket is still a loss. Lastly, pocketing your last ball and the 8 ball in the same shot is not allowed and means defeat.

In case a player pockets the opponent's last ball, or touches it directly and the opponent decides to pocket it, said opponent gets to choose their last pocket.

There you have it. Feel free to state your opinion about playing 8ball using these rules, your perception of the pros and cons of the game etc. Also, give it a try yourself if you're interested and post your experiences here. It was a pleasure giving you a preview of the game and environment in which I regularly play :)

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The rules.....pretty good example of why I don’t play bar rules...:rolleyes:
Hey, he's not even on the same continent and only temporarily on the same planet, so you likely will never run into that exact brand of foolishness.

In general the locals won't pull out more than one new rule per rack. Sometimes the rule will change though -- like suddenly you are required to play a RAM shot on the eight ball.

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member

There you have it. Feel free to state your opinion about playing 8ball using these rules, your perception of the pros and cons of the game etc. Also, give it a try yourself if you're interested and post your experiences here. It was a pleasure giving you a preview of the game and environment in which I regularly play :)

Stupid rules. If I was there, I would play darts.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Surely, everyone in the bar does not want to play.

At least by those "rules"...

I like to think the real magic of pocket billiards is the creativity used in actually playing the game. The shots you choose, the position you play, etc... Not the creativity in making up one's own rules... that said, people are free to do whatever they want. I'll just say if I was in that bar, it wouldn't be anywhere near the first time I would've ever said, "Ummmm... nah. I'll pass."

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just got home from a very fun night of 8ball :) My best friend and I played pairs against, well, most of the bar crowd (the majority of them good players, mind you). Won 7 in a row, enjoyed our time and drinks, and prior to that even played a few games 1v1 in a different bar as a warm-up.

All this made me write about the way we play and compete in this bar, which is the most popular pool place in the city. To start off, we play on a 7ft coin op bar table. The player (or pair) who won the previous game stays at the table, and the incoming player pays for the next game and racks the balls. This way everyone in the bar gets to play without waiting too much, and it motivates the players to give their best to stay at the table, playing more while saving their money.

The winner of the previous game breaks from behind the head string. If one or more balls of the same suit are made on the break, the shooter immediately claims that suit. If different suits are pocketed, the ball which dropped first (or when uncertain, which rolled into the ball return system first) determines the shooter's suit. When only the 8 ball drops, the player instantly wins the game, but if anything else gets pocketed along with it, it's an instantaneous defeat. Finally, if nothing is pocketed, the table is open and the opponent gets to shoot. This can be repeated until the first ball drops, then the suits are determined.

There is no shot calling and no requirement for any ball to hit the rail. As long as you pocket at least one of your balls per shot, you keep playing. If nothing is pocketed, or you pocket both your own and your opponent's balls, you lose your turn.

Hitting an opponent's ball directly, without touching a rail or your own balls first, results in loss of turn, regardless of the outcome of the shot. In addition, the opponent gets to pick up the ball you hit directly and drop it in a pocket prior to their turn if they so choose, or leave it where it stands.

Once a player scratches or knocks the cue ball off the table, the cue ball goes on the head spot. It cannot be moved, and the opponent gets to shoot. They are only allowed to shoot forward, in the direction towards the foot rail, in a way that their cue doesn't pass over either corner pocket. That pretty much means they can only shoot at balls positioned between right and left side pocket and the head spot, and at anything below that. If an opponent's ball or the 8 ball completely block the allowed shooting arc, the player is allowed to draw the cue ball behind the head spot until a legal shot is possible.

Any ball knocked off the table, except the 8 ball and the cue ball, is spotted in the kitchen, touching the head rail next to the center diamond, and the opponent gets the turn. If such action would allow an obviously easy shot for the incoming player, especially if it's their last ball, the knocked off balls are spotted on the opposing side of the table, touching the foot rail next to the center diamond.

If at any point in the game a player hits the 8 ball directly, without touching a rail or another ball first, it's a loss of the game. Same goes if the 8 ball is pocketed or knocked off the table. This obviously stops applying once the player pockets all balls of the suit they claimed. At that point the 8 ball can be touched directly, and must be pocketed in the pocket where the last ball of the player's suit was dropped to win the game. Pocketing it in the wrong pocket or throwing it off the table means loss. Also, committing any foul (scratching, any ball off the table, an opponent's ball hit directly or pocketed) while pocketing the 8 ball in the correct pocket is still a loss. Lastly, pocketing your last ball and the 8 ball in the same shot is not allowed and means defeat.

In case a player pockets the opponent's last ball, or touches it directly and the opponent decides to pocket it, said opponent gets to choose their last pocket.

Sounds like a complete cluster-f^*k dumpster fire. Have fun, i guess.

jeephawk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a much younger lad, playing 8 ball in a bar just barely underage with a friend (two person teams) against a couple of pretty intimidating fellows I made the 8 ball to win the game. Not so fast - we were informed we lost because the 8 ball was required to be made in the pocket of our last pocketed ball and we, not they, needed to pay up the $5 at stake, lol. The situation resolved with a gentlemen interceding, suggesting we were too young to be in there and (with a wink to us) "get the _____ out boys." True story, and learned to ask about the rules up front, lol - even in places in college we played a lot when guys we didn't know were putting in their quarters. Fun stuff, and that's the rowdiest pool story of my life! Nothing compared with the real ones for sure.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The OP said he had fun, and that's what games are mostly about, no? I think it can be fun and interesting to experience other cultures, and varying bar pool rules certainly fit into that, in my opinion; as long as you are clear on the rules before you start, and locals don't spring rules on you mid-game that are to their advantage.

One part I don't understand is this:

"They are only allowed to shoot forward, in the direction towards the foot rail, in a way that their cue doesn't pass over either corner pocket. That pretty much means they can only shoot at balls positioned between right and left side pocket and the head spot, and at anything below that. If an opponent's ball or the 8 ball completely block the allowed shooting arc, the player is allowed to draw the cue ball behind the head spot until a legal shot is possible."

What does it mean, "their cue doesn't pass over either corner pocket?" Does it mean their cue stick can't be angled past the foot-end corner pockets? (I think re-reading it and writing this question cleared it up for me, but I'd like to hear the answer.)

I wonder if there's an urban anthropologist out there interested in cataloging and classifying bar pool rules. :)

Can you please say where this game was played?

Thanks,

jv

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The rules.....pretty good example of why I don’t play bar rules...:rolleyes:

Exactly what I was going to say. The last time I played in a bar was at a night club in Denver and I ran down to the 8 ball on my first go, which happened to be in the kitchen, and I missed. My opponent took over and made a couple of balls and then intentionally scratched and tried to tell me that I had to kick at the 8 ball because it's in the kitchen. LOL It wasn't for any money, so I played the stupid rules and called a 3 rail kick for the hell of it and got lucky and made it. Afterwards I told her that her rules suck and that a scratch is a foul and there is no way that anyone gets rewarded for fouling in a legitimate game of 8 ball, or any other game for that matter. Needless to say I didn't get anywhere with her when I later ask her to dance...she was very nice looking to.

Last edited:

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exactly what I was going to say. The last time I played in a bar was at a night club in Denver and I ran down to the 8 ball on my first go, which happened to be in the kitchen, and I missed. My opponent took over and made a couple of balls and then intentionally scratched and tried to tell me that I had to kick at the 8 ball because it's in the kitchen. LOL It wasn't for any money, so I played the stupid rules and called a 3 rail kick for the hell of it and got lucky and made it. Afterwards I told her that her rules suck and that a scratch is a foul and there is no way that anyone gets rewarded for fouling in a legitimate game of 8 ball, or any other game for that matter. Needless to say I didn't get anywhere with her when I later ask her to dance...she was very nice looking to.

So, in 'usual' bar rules, where the cue ball in hand must be placed in the kitchen, what do you do when the eight ball is in the kitchen, too, and you are on the eight? I would think you would spot it, on the head spot.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, in 'usual' bar rules, where the cue ball in hand must be placed in the kitchen, what do you do when the eight ball is in the kitchen, too, and you are on the eight? I would think you would spot it, on the head spot.

I don't know what bar rules really are to be honest, but this girl I was playing at that Air Force Base back in Denver in the mid 80s said that the 8 ball stays where it's at and the opponent has CB in hand in the kitchen, but has to kick at any object balls in the kitchen.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know what bar rules really are to be honest, but this girl I was playing at that Air Force Base back in Denver in the mid 80s said that the 8 ball stays where it's at and the opponent has CB in hand in the kitchen, but has to kick at any object balls in the kitchen.

Yea, that's weird. I am familiar with having to shoot the cue our of the kitchen and off the cushions to hit a ball in the kitchen; but if your only ball to hit is in the kitchen, it's spotted. Then, this might be a weird rule to others.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don’t know why bars can’t accept this book as gospel when it comes to “Rules”, but I have a feeling we wouldn’t get very far trying to use this book in a bar. Like PT109 said, a good reason to avoid bar room play at all cost.
ed04f604d74762bce7c887b98fe9515c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don’t know why bars can’t accept this book as gospel when it comes to “Rules”, but I have a feeling we wouldn’t get very far trying to use this book in a bar. Like PT109 said, a good reason to avoid bar room play at all cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, let me ask you this: does that book include a set of eight ball rules for coin operated tables, that don't return object balls?

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, let me ask you this: does that book include a set of eight ball rules for coin operated tables, that don't return object balls?

Yeah I hear what you are saying, but as far as I know that would be the only deviation from the rule book that you would have to make. Obviously object balls stay down, and if you legally make the 8 on the break you win. It's not real hard to post those obvious deviations in some fashion like this, "Current BCA rules to be used for play, exceptions will be addressed as follows...etc"

Last edited: