Coming back- Longest cue on a budget?

glfgd82

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes I know "you get what you pay for" and I know this is AZbilliards where everyone must ask about a $1000 cue or otherwise nobody knows how to give advise.

Ok, so I've not played pool consistently for several years (9 to be exact), my old playing cues and case got lost in a move years ago so I've lost my custom made cue that a member here made for me :(

I'm 6'6" and when I was playing I had a cue made which was 63" total length, I'm looking to get something that will be longer than a stock cue for the best price. I'm not in a position to buy now as I had life saving heart surgery back in October and medical bills come first as well as other life expenses as I've been off work since then recovering. But I'm looking for ideas from members on what would be a good choice for me to buy when the time come right.

Till I'm able to purchase I will use house cues, I just want to get back to playing as it will help with my recovery as I had some motor function issues post surgery. I was thinking 31" butt and 31" shaft, but I'm not sure who offers what, I'm literally posting this without researching much on my own.

Thank you all, have a blessed day

James

glfgd82

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry to hear about your health issues.

Have you considered using a pool cue extension like McDermott's?

http://www.mcdermottcue.com/pool-cue-extensions.php

You could buy a serviceable, but inexpensive standard-length cue for now and just throw an extension in there until later when you can afford something more expensive.

Just a thought.

I did not know such a thing existed! Definitely sounds like something I need to look into. Thank you very much!

megatron69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did not know such a thing existed! Definitely sounds like something I need to look into. Thank you very much!

I didn't know about them either until just a few years ago. Met and befriended a guy who's about 6' 9" who had one custom made by some guy off Ebay. Know another guy that got the McD one about a year ago; he's 6' 7".

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pat Diveny can make a 62” cue, (31+31)
He said that was his max because of his lathe.

Why not get a predator with a 31” shaft and add either a 3” or 7 “ butt extension or a 4” mid extension.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
If you go to www.billiardswarehouse.com they carry Schmelke cues. Each cue has a custom option and it doesn't cost a Whole lot. I found a cue for 119 dollars that you could have made as 63 inches for 30 dollars extra! Open the custom options and click on cue length. You can customize almost anything With these cues at great prices.

glfgd82

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pat Diveny can make a 62” cue, (31+31)
He said that was his max because of his lathe.

Why not get a predator with a 31” shaft and add either a 3” or 7 “ butt extension or a 4” mid extension.

Thank you for the feedback. I literally know nothing about what is available currently as 10 years ago these mid extensions were not a thing, and I'm not up to speed on butt extensions and what fits what.

Thank you

CrownCityCorey

Sock it to 'em!
Silver Member
Yes I know "you get what you pay for" and I know this is AZbilliards where everyone must ask about a $1000 cue or otherwise nobody knows how to give advise.

Ok, so I've not played pool consistently for several years (9 to be exact), my old playing cues and case got lost in a move years ago so I've lost my custom made cue that a member here made for me :(

I'm 6'6" and when I was playing I had a cue made which was 63" total length, I'm looking to get something that will be longer than a stock cue for the best price. I'm not in a position to buy now as I had life saving heart surgery back in October and medical bills come first as well as other life expenses as I've been off work since then recovering. But I'm looking for ideas from members on what would be a good choice for me to buy when the time come right.

Till I'm able to purchase I will use house cues, I just want to get back to playing as it will help with my recovery as I had some motor function issues post surgery. I was thinking 31" butt and 31" shaft, but I'm not sure who offers what, I'm literally posting this without researching much on my own.

Thank you all, have a blessed day

James

I have what you are looking for. Check your PM's

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I use a similar one from another mfg set up for uniloc threads and keep it on full time. It looks a bit silly, but it plays real good, and I don't need an oversized case to have a longer cue. Got it second hand for $25. You can get them for pretty much any joint pin style.

This is the one:
https://www.seyberts.com/cue-shaft-extensions/balance-rite-uni-loc-pool-cue-extension/

Edit: The reviews say that it can add a ton of wobble to your cue if you roll it on the table. I fixed this problem with my cue by... not rolling it on a table. I honestly don't know if mine's straight or not. If this is something that might potentially bother you it might not be for you.

Last edited:

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
58” mass production cue with a 4” extension.
I also advise production cue + lightweight butt extension of your choice, it's the way Shane, Kaci, Earl and others play. I have an oversized butt and shaft and don't particularly advise them as they bring their own issues. It also makes it much more difficult to sell if you needed to do that.

Julian

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well like it was already mentioned you have some options to get 62" or 63" cue.
I can tell you this from my experience so as I'm 198 sm tall (6,5 I guess). I started to play with a house cue during my first year till I've got possibility to get 60" cue from Dan Prather. I had two Prather cues both 60" and had no issues to sell them afterwards when the price was right. When I was younger and had no issues with my neck and back 60" cue felt ok for me but now in my 40's I feel much more comfortable to play with 62" cue equal length and I'm in the process to build a new 31,5" butt to make a good match to a 31" c.f. shaft I hope to get one day. Nowadays I feel more confident on some shots with a longer cue.
Now to the options:
when I played with my previous 60" Prather cue I've built an extension for it and played with it. Personally I don't care so much what SVB, Kaci and other great players play with I trust first of all my personal experience.
After playing with fairly long set up with back extension I had an interest to try and build the full spliced cue with the woods, construction and so on I like and in equal length. After having done that and playing more then a year I can say it is completely another story and I like it much better so as I like the stiffness, feedback and feel I got now. When it comes to the extra length problems with the case and such...well I'm from the country where the most popular game is piramid where 63" cues is a standard so the case is not really a problem;).
It was already mentioned about possibility to order Schmelke with custom options and it should be fairly affordable and of course there are many other good cue-builders out there too.
The option with the middle extension for me would be the last to consider if at all.
I wish you a quick recovery and all the best.)

Last edited:

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
$119. to your front door. ...The one in the link is 63", 19oz, 12.5mm... but he'll make it however you want.

I own one. Took 3-4 weeks to get, including time for a couple alterations... Not bad coming from Russia... At some point I'll probably change the ferrule (seems kinda cheap), and maybe have the shaft pro-tapered (I got the idea they came this way, or else I would've had him do it.)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Billia...m4b62bc0116:g:scoAAOSwdzBcvZFC&frcectupt=true

EDIT: Bear in mind, a longer cue won't fit all cases. For my particular case, I had him trim it down to two 31" halves.

Last edited:

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
$119. to your front door. ...The one in the link is 63", 19oz, 12.5mm... but he'll make it however you want.

I own one. Took 3-4 weeks to get, including time for a couple alterations... Not bad coming from Russia... At some point I'll probably change the ferrule (seems kinda cheap), and maybe have the shaft pro-tapered (I got the idea they came this way, or else I would've had him do it.)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Billia...m4b62bc0116:g:scoAAOSwdzBcvZFC&frcectupt=true

EDIT: Bear in mind, a longer cue won't fit all cases. For my particular case, I had him trim it down to two 31" halves.

BTW it is not from Russia but from Ukraine as I saw). In case you decide to order such a cue bear in mind the specifications for piramid cues quite different from pool cues. Joint diameter is in the range of 19-19,5 mm and at the butt cap is usually around 28 mm. The shaft is much stiffer out of hornbeam and the weight is usually around 700-720 gramms. So better contact and ask for your specifications.