What are some of your most memorable moments in billiards?

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played Willie Mosconi a game of 9-ball that was broadcast on a local cable station in NJ in 1992. I know he wasn't in his prime, but he could still shoot pretty well and he is my all-time favorite player.

nineballsafety8

6ft 5" 285, hits 'em hard
Silver Member
Playing in a fast eddie's tournament in Round Rock TX. I was playing against Hillbilly Charlie Bryant (who completely waxed my a$$ by the way), but after being down something like 6-1 in a race to 9... I decided to let loose on the rack with my King Kong Break. I hit the one ball Dead in the face, the cueball pops up about a foot in the air, and falls back onto the playing surfaces in several piece. Charlie gets out of his chair and bows...
I about lost it!!!
If Hillbilly gives the nod of approval on a hard break, you know you have put your time in.

(yeah yeah, I know... that doesn't happen unless there is a flaw or previous crack in the ball... but hey, I broke one darnit, let me bask in my glory)

Simple

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Every time as my daughter won another championship (couple of german und one european youth) I had such a moment.

dbrown

Registered
We have a local 8ball tournament at the bar I go to we started it about 7 years ago. All the regulars would come on fri. after work and play each other from about 4:00 to 7;00.
There was only a few that showed up regularly. So we started having the 8ball tournament , we play all year and have a year end tournament winner take all. The guy who started the tournament got cancer and die the second year. We played together for over 34 years. On the third year with 25 players I finely one the yearly tournament, got all the cash the trophy and the best feeling of all was it is named after my friend. On the trophy it says The David Weise memorial champion of champions! I miss playing with him we all had such a good time playing each other.

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mine were matches lost. Once lost 9-7 to Parica in a bar table tournament and went double-hill to lose to Shannon in another.

stick8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
best memory

My best is i take gradson(9)to see mike segil and nick varner ,in athens ga GOLDEN CUE exebition shoe. when they finished you colud pay 10buck and play one for charity so o ask grandson who-mike. so im filming all this .lilstick breaks dry mike runs a few missed and had him a ear man he taking to so lilstisk mackes some great shots.mike still bla-blab. so lilstick haass a shot on six ball with cue on the nine-im yelling instructions. and blam he makes the nine. the house goes wild 9yr beat mike.ha ha mike calles him over ask him who tought him pool his reply my grandpa. he said well you will never get a game around here,WHY!!! WELL YOU JUST BEAT THE BEST . that mike :thumbup::thumbup:

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Cliff Thorburn spent a fair bit of time in our city when he was an up and comer. He has lots of old acquaintances here. One of his friends used to hold a Champagne Cliff Thorburn 9 Ball Torney every year when we still had a hall.

A fairly strong field, A and B divisions. I tied for 5th place on the B side and had a picture taken with Cliff as everyone did.

I have an autographed 9 Ball from Cliff.

A couple of years ago, we had a winning year. My team won the Vegas Tourney, my wife and I won first in an Open Division Scotch. I played on a Cash Team also. We came from last place to winning the tourney. Most likely not to be duplicated in my life time.

My wife and I paid our way to VNEA in Vegas one year. When we had a hall, if I wasn't playing League, I was there putting in a couple or three hours a night practicing. At one point, I could give myself a pat on the back when I knew that my game had taken a turn for the better due to all the hrs spent on the table.

Western Canadian Championships a couple of years ago, I got myself up to the top 32 before I got knocked off. I figured that wasn't too bad for a Rookie
playing against players from 3 Provinces. I won $75. My entry fee and 2 beer.

Still want a damn trophy tho.

Lots of little things like that make up lots of good memories.

Last edited:

Drawback

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Personal accomplishments

My first local tournament win was in 1986 against a field of 32 (?) amateurs. I still have that trophy.

On May 2nd, 2014, I shot 105 balls in a row while playing 14.1
On May 7th, I shot 116 balls in a row.
On May 10th, I shot 118 balls in a row.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I still have that trophy.

Can I have it. Thats all I ever wanted was one little trophy. Is that too much to ask.

You know, the ones that have a pool table and a little guy standing there with a pool cue.

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
I was 16. Step Dad took me to the local firehouse bar that had a table. I played and felt great winning (maybe they threw the games, ;)). Some 25-ish, good looking gal took a liking to me on this school night.

Yada yada yada, I was late for school.

Last edited:

Drawback

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can I have it. Thats all I ever wanted was one little trophy. Is that too much to ask.

You know, the ones that have a pool table and a little guy standing there with a pool cue.

Boo hoo, mine doesn't have a pool table, just the little guy standing there with a cue stick.;)

CSykes24

www.coreysykes.com
Silver Member
Just started traveling alot since I graduated college and have been all over the Mid-Atlantic, and recently to Vegas/Cali. I'd have to say my most memorable experience so far would be traveling down to Mississippi and snapped a 64-man tournament off for $5k. Made the 10-hour ride home a lot nicer :smile:

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Walked into a daiquiri shop with a friend of mine, to meet another friend. They had an old Dynamo that was beat to hell and back. The locals started up a game of 3-ball and I declined to play because of the $3 in my pocket. Then I figured what the hell and used my $3 to walk out an hour later with over $100.

Played in a local tournament where another local guy was that barks about how he can steam roll me. The local guy was a huge nit and would never gamble, but would talk his little mouth off. I got in the tournament, watched the brackets and saw that if I lost my match, I would play him in the losers bracket. So I dumped, got in the losers bracket, beat him, and kept winning my way to the finals.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think my most memorable is seeing Mosconi play. Back in the 60;s he was on the road all the time and he did more then trick shots. He usually played a local a 150 point match. Often one in the afternoon and one in the evening. I must have seen him play over a 100 times.

I would drive a couple of hunderd miles to see him play. Many years later I got to know him but back then I was just a kid in the front row watching my hero. He made eye contact with me a number of times probably wondering, WTF, didn't I just saw that kid in another town like 100 miles away?

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Once in a small 9-ball tournament I was hooked good and for the hell of it I tried a side-pocket-point kick. Cue ball came off the point at the perfect angle and made the ball down the rail right in the corner, after which I proceeded to run out.

After the game I was talking to my opponent and laughing and said I couldn't believe I made that shot. He wasn't impressed and didn't want to talk about it.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Several

They say professionals forget about their losses, and always remember the wins....apparently I was never supposed to be a professional.

The first time I ever played in the Indiana State Pool Tournament, I broke and ran out (it was 8 ball). After making the 8, the guy stood up and said you didn't mark your pocket on the 8 you lose....:mad: I went on to win the match, but in the town we came from IMO we had enough honor and class that we never enforced that rule. It was the rule, and the other guy was right, but IMO, I would hate to have to win like that. Lesson learned for me.

Second was probably the first time I went to a professional tournament in Olathe, Kansas. It was there that I watch a youngster of 19 or so, beat another guy from St. Louis out of $40K. I had never seen gambling like that on pool before. It got me hooked.

Third, the match between Efren Reyes and Jason Miller at the DCC finals. It was One Pocket, and Jason Miller that year was "killing" the field and was playing unbelievable. That was before he played Efren. Efren beat him 3-0 in less than 45 minutes, in the most amazing display of one pocket and cue ball control. Easily the best pool match I have ever seen before or since. I immediately became an Efren fan.

Best of rolls to all,

Ken

Mkbtank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a couple.

1 was years ago at a family friend's house which has a pool table. The guy who owns the house is a complete jerk, including making fun of my nephews when he played with them. He also barked like he was the greatest. My dad can't stand this guy and asked me to play him and beat him. We played 8 ball, and he continued his rudeness. When I got down to the 8, I called to my dad, looked right at him, and fired the 8 in for the no-look win. Frankly I'm still a bit embarrassed about doing that but it's my fathers favorite story of all time.

Second was from this year's DCC. I played Nick Vandenberg in the third round in the 1p event and played him much better than I expected. At one point he had balls all around his hole and had me glued to a ball by my hole in a bad trap. I kicked two rails softly to the only spot in the table where he had nothing. I looked up to see Mike Massey watching the match, and he gave me an emphatic nod of approval on the shot. I thought, "that's it. Whatever else happens, this trip has been great".

billf59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mine was getting a chance to play Buddy Hall in a tournament in tenn at J O B was lucky enough to draw him it was a dream come true got beat 9 / 2 lucked the 9 and think he let me win one later he sat with my wife and I and had a bugger and fries and my wife pick up the tab I think she talked to him before hand and ask him to let me have a game LOL he his a gentleman THANKS Buddy

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing Mosconi straight pool in an exhibition
Running my first 100 balls
Beating Grady Mathews in straight pool
Running a 9 ball 5 pack
Watching Irving Crane run a 141 close up