Orcollo might try to beat the 626 record

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For so many years, the record was 526 and only a handful of pros had high runs in the 300 range, and hardly any over 400.

Now the record is 626 and suddenly there is speculation about who could beat it.

It's like the cliche, "I could be as good as you if I practiced more" except this is "I could break your record if I dedicated myself to the game of 14.1 and did nothing but play it everyday for 5 months, too!"

Well, err, yeah maybe that's true. Give it a try :grin-square:

Good post!

Very, very true!

It will take the very best on the planet a lot of time/expense to get there.

Time will only tell, but im not holding my breath....

John Schmidt put up record run that may still be standing when most all on this site have passed.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tune in next week: Danny Harriman releases video of a 627 ball run, unfinished, just to spite John :p

Funny mention him because I was just thinking about him he had a 5th in the 2017 world 14-1 I believe, , I think Danny has held talent hostage , he's got serious skills and knowledge of the game it's between the ears and other issues with , him , if he's got those things worked out ,, I'd say he has the tools to be in the conversation

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Funny mention him because I was just thinking about him he had a 5th in the 2017 world 14-1 I believe, , I think Danny has held talent hostage , he's got serious skills and knowledge of the game it's between the ears and other issues with , him , if he's got those things worked out ,, I'd say he has the tools to be in the conversation

Danny posts on this forum, and come to think of it, I haven't seen anything from him regarding John's run -- unless I missed it.

Maybe he's waiting for the video evidence first before commenting...

_______

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Danny posts on this forum, and come to think of it, I haven't seen anything from him regarding John's run -- unless I missed it.

Maybe he's waiting for the video evidence first before commenting...

_______

I know they have had a thing going on , but that had nothing to do with my post ,

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree. Let's look back at a recent DCC, where Dennis Orcullo was utterly fascinated with getting the DCC all-time high run -- that, at that time, was held by Jayson Shaw with a 227 before Joshua Filler broke it with a 285 -- and he kept buying back in after each failed attempt, over and over and over, and didn't succeed.

Don't get me wrong, Dennis has come a LONG way in his 14.1 game, but two things: 1.) he doesn't yet have the experience that a 14.1-long-timer like Schmidt or Hohmann have, and 2.) $10K for such a monumental task to take down the 626 is a pittance, when you consider Dennis can get that same $10K or more in a single rotation or one pocket match-up against an opponent with far less effort. It took Schmidt -- who drips 100, 200, and 300 ball runs by the buckets -- over a month to do this feat, locking himself up in a room and essentially making himself unavailable for tournaments and other stuff. I gander it'd take Dennis far longer, and for what? Why?

-Sean
Filler's 285 ball run at Derby City on a Diamond may very well be the modern day record high run on a Diamond table with Diamond tour cut pocket specs - 4-1/2" corners and 5" sides. It would be impossible to calculate how many balls that would be equivalent to running on a 5" corner pocket table, but undoubtedly it is a much harder task the tighter the pockets get.

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
Josh Filler is Jason Shaw from 3 years ago

Many on here that are sold on Filler contending to get in on record breaking in 14.1 would have said the same thing about Shaw 3 years ago. 285 is another 4 racks better than 227. To do 15 racks on a Diamond is PFA, regardless

Was Filler one of the young teens that Thorsten took under his wing at the World 14.1 in 2006 ? Probably not, I don’t think the math works. Maybe I have the year wrong. It was the year he won it IIRC.

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
Filler's 285 ball run at Derby City on a Diamond may very well be the modern day record high run on a Diamond table with Diamond tour cut pocket specs - 4-1/2" corners and 5" sides. It would be impossible to calculate how many balls that would be equivalent to running on a 5" corner pocket table, but undoubtedly it is a much harder task the tighter the pockets get.

Would like to know what the table difficulty factor is on that Rebco table J.S. set the record on.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=324408&page=49

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
If Dennis could’ve beaten 526 we would be reading about him for the last week not John.

If Ifs and buts, were candy and nuts, oh what a Merry Christmas it would be.

The official record is John's.

All the best,
WW

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What you stated is true but, most runs from top tier players are not ended due to missed shots in general. They are ended due to missed balls but, it has nothing to do with pocket size (usually), its almost always a "wonky roll", a kiss etc..etc off the break that is the biggest fear and culprit to the elites.

Us merely mortal players, well, your statement holds more true as we are more out to just "miss a shot".

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dont think Filler could do it now- As talented as he is, he still has a bit of a 'kids game'-In 2-3 years when he slows down just a bit, id bet on him with a month of tries.

Talent without experience in 14.1 is USELESS.

Then again, experience without talent wont get there either.

One of them can come easily for some but, the other....(experience), well, its a little harder to come by.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My money is on the ghost no matter who tries to break it, every time they get up there.
That 14.1 ghost is a baaaaad mutha.

TxOnePocket

i'm ur huckleberry
Silver Member
If I put up a 100k for the first player to run 1000 balls the odds list would look something like this

1.Thorsten Hohmann
2 John S
3 Joshua Filler
4 Dennis Orcollo
5 Alex

Wasn't Allen Hopkins a straight pool monster, I remember watching him practice at the Derby thinking he was a robot that never missed.

TxOnePocket

i'm ur huckleberry
Silver Member
The BEST 100k bet would be whoever could run the most consecutive racks in 15 ball rotation. the real skill and creativeness would come out.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

In response to a Facebook inquiry from Oscar Dominguez as to John Schmidt's high run on a "new cloth, clean ball Diamond," John answered 294. Whether it was a standard "pro-cut" Diamond, I do not know.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Was Filler one of the young teens that Thorsten took under his wing at the World 14.1 in 2006 ? Probably not, I don’t think the math works. Maybe I have the year wrong. It was the year he won it IIRC.

Filler's date of birth, per Wiki, is 10/2/1997.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
If I put up a 100k for the first player to run 1000 balls the odds list would look something like this

1.Thorsten Hohmann
2 John S
3 Joshua Filler
4 Dennis Orcollo
5 Alex

Wasn't Allen Hopkins a straight pool monster, I remember watching him practice at the Derby thinking he was a robot that never missed.

I think Niels Feijen might be #2 or tied for #1 on that list.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

1.Thorsten Hohmann
2 John S
3 Joshua Filler
4 Dennis Orcollo
5 Alex

Yes Hopkins was a 14.1 monster. Then again, he was an every game monster. It was hard to tell because he came up with a lot of monsters.

When you get a bunch of monsters in one place, its hard to tell because:

Put a big fish in a barrel with a lot of small fish, well, the big fish is easy to find. Now, put that same big fish in another barrel of fish the same size as he, well, now he is lost to you!

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Love how the guy that has actually come closest to running 1,000 balls is second on that list.

People are clueless.