Aiming for under/overcut makes no sense

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
This is gonna be fun..........

There is only one spot on the table that the CB rolls over to make the OB go where you want.

Only one.

You want to put the OB center pocket, there is only one spot on the table the CB can roll over to make this happen.

Only one.

You want to put the OB a little left of center pocket, there is only one spot on the table the CB can roll over to make this happen.

Only one.

You want to throw a ball to a certain spot, there is only one spot on the table the CB can roll over to make this happen.

Only one.

Before I ever decided where the spot is I want to roll the CB over in order to make the OB go where I want, I consider all the variables that can affect the shot, factor each into my thoughts about the shot, and then decide on where to roll the CB based on my past experiences. There is no under/overcut used in deciding the location of the spot.

The only time a undercut or overcut occurs is if the OB does not go exactly where I want.

Now, I start with a base line, a reference line that is the the path the OB will take to pocket when looking from directly behind the OB to center pocket.

Depending on what I’m doing with the CB, determines to which side of this reference line the CB needs to be rolled.

So, in reality, when you are thinking you are setting up for a under/over cut, you really aren’t. You have set up for placing the CB where you think it needs to be, based on experience, in order to put the OB where you want.

Have fun.......

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is gonna be fun..........

There is only one spot on the table that the CB rolls over to make the OB go where you want.

Only one.

You want to put the OB center pocket, there is only one spot on the table the CB can roll over to make this happen.

Only one.

You want to put the OB a little left of center pocket, there is only one spot on the table the CB can roll over to make this happen.

Only one.

You want to throw a ball to a certain spot, there is only one spot on the table the CB can roll over to make this happen.

Only one.

Before I ever decided where the spot is I want to roll the CB over in order to make the OB go where I want, I consider all the variables that can affect the shot, factor each into my thoughts about the shot, and then decide on where to roll the CB based on my past experiences. There is no under/overcut used in deciding the location of the spot.

The only time a undercut or overcut occurs is if the OB does not go exactly where I want.

Now, I start with a base line, a reference line that is the the path the OB will take to pocket when looking from directly behind the OB to center pocket.

Depending on what I’m doing with the CB, determines to which side of this reference line the CB needs to be rolled.

So, in reality, when you are thinking you are setting up for a under/over cut, you really aren’t. You have set up for placing the CB where you think it needs to be, based on experience, in order to put the OB where you want.

Have fun.......

Very good definition of how I feel like I play this game. But the cb can roll over one specific spot on the table, striking the ob at one specific contact point, and depending on speed, english, or forward/backward or zero rotation, the ob will hit different parts of the pocket. So if you are simply referencing ob contact point point to center pocket, you'll have to compensate for throw by slightly overcutting the ball or by using a little english to reduce/offset the throw.

I think I understand what you're saying though. On a left cut for example, we don't aim to put the ob through center pocket. We aim the ob left of center pocket and then roll the cb over the correct spot to match this alignment. The ob will automatically be thrown to the right, toward center pocket. We don't line up for a center pocket aim and then purposely overcut the ball in order to offset throw.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
There are Pros & very good near pro level who do not want their ball rolling on the cloth for a variety of reasons They bounce the ball & it hits the OB above center on a high percentage if their shots.