My choice for the Billiard Congress of America Hall of Fame

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He is in a class by himself. He has no comparables. He has no competitors. He gives to our generation and future generations, in a storied fashion, the rich history of our game. With a lifelong interest and enthusiasm coupled with brilliance, through his research, he has authored the finest and most fascinating periodical essays ever composed about billiards. He is far more than a collector. He is our connection to academia and something better. If there was to be an ambassador for our game in the world theatre, Michael Shamos would be the perfect choice. Michael Shamos is well deserving of the honor of the Billiard Congress of America Hall of Fame.

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nice encomium/nomination. You have a point! Who do you think his "competition" for the honor might be this time?

DiamondGirl

Registered
Excellent choice Mike is amazing. I wish that he would make a historic Dvd for the whole pool world to enjoy. I guarantee it would re-enthuse all those who watched Mike share his love and enthusiasm for our history! Plus he is a CLASS ACT, I agree he must be and will be in the future.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
Nice choice. There are quite a few people that should be nominated for their service to our Industry.....randyg

RackemBilliards

Player, Room Owner
Silver Member
BCA Hall of Fame

Nice choice. There are quite a few people that should be nominated for their service to our Industry.....randyg

I agree. Mike Shamos is an excellent choice. In my opinion, George Fels is another. For what I'm sure is a huge legion of fans that, like me, have spent the last 20+ years reading Billiards Digest back to front every month it's an obvious choice. Whether it's instruction, 'Mastering Pool' and the 'Dead Stroke' articles are classic examples, or just the articles that seem to make me love the fact that I love pool, Fels is great. His obituary of Gus Szamboti, the review of 'The Color of Money', and so many more of his contributions ('Heart' hangs in our pool room, look it up) have made my life in pool that much more enjoyable. 'The Hustler' made me proud to be a pool player. 'The Color of Money' not so much. As a writer, Fels has the ability to make you proud that this is your sport, and that's not as easy as you might think.

PoolTable911

AdvancedBilliardSolutions
Silver Member
Al Conte

I think the late Al Conte should be in the Hall of Fame. He was a top notch mechanic & had a heart of gold. If you are unfamiliar with him just ask any of the Pro's and old road player's. He was to Brunswick what Glen is to Diamond.

oldzilla

Accu-Stats Messenger
Silver Member
I think the late Al Conte should be in the Hall of Fame. He was a top notch mechanic & had a heart of gold. If you are unfamiliar with him just ask any of the Pro's and old road player's. He was to Brunswick what Glen is to Diamond.

I live upstate NY and I knew Al well. It would be very nice to see it happen for him and his family. Conte has been a long time family name in the pool world for sure !!!

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
criteria

I copied the following criteria for inductee selection for the BCA Hall of Fame from the BCA site.

BCA Hall of Fame

A Tradition of Greatness Over Four Decades: Recognizing Outstanding Players and Contributors since 1966.

The purpose of the BCA Hall of Fame is to honor outstanding people who, through their competitive skills and dedication, have enriched our sport and industry.

Two categories have been established in BCA's Hall of Fame. The Greatest Player category shall be reserved for outstanding players who have been active in national or international competition for at least 20 years and have won at least one national or international championship. The Meritorious Service category shall be reserved for those who have made lasting, memorable and important contributions to billiards. To date (through 2007) a total of 51 individuals have been inducted; 40 in the player category and 11 meritorious service honorees.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I live upstate NY and I knew Al well. It would be very nice to see it happen for him and his family. Conte has been a long time family name in the pool world for sure !!!

I lived in Binghamton for many years and knew Al. I agree he deserves to be there. I also agree about Mike Shamos.

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think Al Conte (and George Fels) would be fine choices for the annual "Industry Service Award" (listed on page 40 of the February issue of the Billiards Digest).

Last edited: