What's the "purest" form of billiards?

Pangit

Banned
Define "purest" however U like.

One pocket, Snooker, Banks, Carom, Straight Pool, 3 cushion... Maybe something else?

angldemn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking at the roots of billiards, I would guess bumper pool is probably the closest.

I think though that straight pool and 3 cushion best capture the most refined essence of modern cue sports.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Define "purest" however U like.

One pocket, Snooker, Banks, Carom, Straight Pool, 3 cushion... Maybe something else?

Define 'impure'.....and I'll get right on that

..hitting any shot well is as satisfying as hitting a golf ball 'on the screws'...
...and you don't have to walk a few hundred yards for your next shot

Last edited:

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
The purest form would be a game that had elements of all the games you listed. That would be 8 ball.

At times, you use one pocket.

At times, you run down to the 8 and out like straight.

At times, you use banks to get what you need.

At times, caroms/combo's give you shot opportunity when there are no standard type shots.

At times, the CB has to go 3 or more rails for positions.

At times, you have open up clusters or move balls to where you want them.

At times, it is the safety battle that is the key part of the game.

8 ball played by those that truly understand the game is a battle between two people. It is all out war.

It is also the most game played by the general pool playing public. Do not let this fact take away from how complex the game of 8 ball is.

skip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The purest I believe it 14.1, we all loved the movie. You know the one. :smile:

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Depending on your definition, it'd have to be Straight Pool. No gimmicks, no flukes, just pocketing as many balls as you possibly can however you can.

Not to say purest is best (though 14.1 is my fav).

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
This is a Hanger.........14.1 of course !!!!

You dont expect me to say otherwise ! LOL

-Steve

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
This is not the carom forum, so I intepret this question as pertaining to pool.

I would immediately dismiss all games that begin with a hard break. In its greatest majesty, a "pure" billiards game there should be no shots in which a player should have an advantage because of physical strength.

That leaves straight pool and one-pocket, and it sure is close which is the "purer" discipline. Straight pool is more majestic, one pocket may be more complicated. My vote is for straight pool.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would define Purity in this context as the game or games that others were derived from so my vote is:

#1 Straight Rail Carom
then
#2 14:1

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
another vote for 14.1! it's helped improve my 9 and 8 ball games, no doubt about it.

Exactly! It really is amazing how many 9 ball players actually say that Straight Pool won't improve their game. I think it's because few of them ever learn to play the game correctly. It's one thing to know the rules and another to play the game right. Nicki Benish and I agreed on this many years ago at the old GameTime/RipTide in Greenville, SC.

JamisonNeu

Mr. Masse
Silver Member
Trick shots are. The reason I feel that way is that every player is given an equal chance to shoot the shots to perform well. I mean lets be real you can play perfect in most cue sports, and still lose because of chance. Not entirely true, but there is a huge element of luck, karma, fate, divine intervention whatever you want to say.

In trick shots everyone tees up the same, and get's the exact same chance. Sometimes in the other cue sports you never get out of your chair, and the other guy never has a hard shot. In most games the balls can choose the winner...

walrus_3d

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The purest form would be a game that had elements of all the games you listed. That would be 8 ball.

At times, you use one pocket.

At times, you run down to the 8 and out like straight.

At times, you use banks to get what you need.

At times, caroms/combo's give you shot opportunity when there are no standard type shots.

At times, the CB has to go 3 or more rails for positions.

At times, you have open up clusters or move balls to where you want them.

At times, it is the safety battle that is the key part of the game.

8 ball played by those that truly understand the game is a battle between two people. It is all out war.

It is also the most game played by the general pool playing public. Do not let this fact take away from how complex the game of 8 ball is.

Tap-Tap! But you missed one.

8 ball is the only billiards game you can lose on your turn. I think it's the best game when played intelligently.